Play Book Tag discussion

Victoria
This topic is about Victoria
October 2016: Historical Fiction > Victoria/Goodwin - 4 stars

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Anita Pomerantz | 6543 comments t feels like it has been awhile since I read a book that felt strictly like pleasure reading, and Victoria was perfect in that regard. Goodwin's storytelling is wonderful - - I felt transported to the 19th century and captivated by the story of an 18 year old Queen who simultaneously must contend with the responsibilities and politics of her position and the normal coming of age problems. The story has historical detail, enough to set the scene, but not too much to bog you down, romance, a bit of fashion, and some political challenges - - all of which are presented in a completely engaging way.

Victoria takes the throne as an 18 year old, and her first challenge is contending with her Duchess mother's boyfriend's power grabbing ways. She finds a confident in her adviser, Lord Melbourne, and her reliance on him grows as she deals with the challenges of being such a young, petite ruler. The question of her marriage is, as you might expect, a huge deal and a large focus of the book.

I'm not normally a person who reads romance, but I really did enjoy the sweet way Goodwin portrays Victoria's coming of age, and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this one to people looking for a light, very enjoyable historical fiction read. I believe it is going to be made into a mini series too, so that should make it extra fun!

The only reason I didn't give it five stars is that it isn't very literary nor original, and I save my fifth stars for something that makes a book out of the ordinary. Something that makes me go "wow". This book didn't have that, but it was completely enjoyable.

message 2: by Susie (new) - added it

Susie | 4488 comments The ads for the series are on very frequently here in Australia. I had planned to watch it and I think I'll read it first after reading your encouraging review.

Anita Pomerantz | 6543 comments Susie wrote: "The ads for the series are on very frequently here in Australia. I had planned to watch it and I think I'll read it first after reading your encouraging review."

It isn't our usual thing, Susie, but I think most people would find this book at least moderately enjoyable . . .I was definitely in the mood for a lighter read, and this was perfect.

message 4: by Susie (new) - added it

Susie | 4488 comments I think I might be in the mood for light soon too. Sometimes you have to throw one in to break it up, don't you? I'm glad you found it pleasant.

Anita Pomerantz | 6543 comments Susie wrote: "I think I might be in the mood for light soon too. Sometimes you have to throw one in to break it up, don't you? I'm glad you found it pleasant."

It's rare, but yes, on occasion, it's fun!

message 6: by Regina Lindsey (new)

Regina Lindsey | 1005 comments The British Royals make for great historical fiction! Victoria is such a fascinating character. Glad you enjoyed it. I'm adding it my TBR as British royalty HF is nice "go-to" for me when I want an enjoyable read.

message 7: by Denise (last edited Nov 21, 2016 04:28PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Denise | 1 comments I received this book free from SheSpeaks and I must say that I really enjoyed reading the book. It starts out with a young Victoria just as she's just about to become queen. Her mother sheltered her during her young life so she does not know too much about the outside world. She wasn't even allowed to play with other children so becoming queen was a bit overwhelming for young Victoria. The story takes you through the beginning of her reign until her marriage. In between there is intrigue, power plays and romance as Victoria struggles to learn the ways of the crown. I liked that the author, Daisy Goodwin, allows you to explore how Victoria must have felt during this time of her life. I am now really interested to read more about Victoria. Rating 4 stars #VictoriaNovel #ad @StMartinsPress @SheSpeaksUp