Clean Reads discussion

Steampunk/Victorian themed recommendations.

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by demicaractere (new)

demicaractere | 11 comments I really like Victorian themed books and I recently just got into some steampunk titles as well so I'm looking for some recommendations and maybe we can put a list together. I will list some of my favorite books in these categories:
Illusionarium
This book is so unique, I love it! I just finished listening to the audiobook and it is probably the best audiobook I've ever listened to (no exaggeration).

Silver in the Blood
The Caged Graves
Entwined (same author as Illusionarium)
Princess of the Midnight Ball (series)
Prisoners in the Palace

Smasher (BookMadWoman)  | 4 comments One of my favorite steampunk books is the "Leviathan" trilogy by Scott Westerfeld. It's a little slow at first, but I was so glad I kept reading it, and was in love with the world he built and the characters as well. It's a steampunk version of WWI, but also felt a bit like a spy love story as well. It's fantastic and I'd recommend it to anyone.

As for Victorian books (I also love all the books you listed by the way) You may like "Mechanica" by Betsy Cornwell. It's along the lines of the books you listed. Not my absolute favorite, but it was enjoyable to read. And, though it isn't really 'Victorian' I'll always recommend "The Goose Girl" to anybody who likes Jessica Day George.

By the way, you made me excited for Illusionarium! I'm going to see if I can grab the audiobook at my library.

message 3: by demicaractere (new)

demicaractere | 11 comments Staci wrote: "One of my favorite steampunk books is the "Leviathan" trilogy by Scott Westerfeld. It's a little slow at first, but I was so glad I kept reading it, and was in love with the world he built and the ..."

I think it was last year that the audiobook came out. Heather Dixon (the author) left a link on her blog to download the audiobook for free. That's how I got it and I'm pretty sure it still works. I'll leave a link to the blog post for you.

http://story-monster.com/?s=illusiona...

message 4: by Ken (new)

Ken | 56 comments I just tried to download the Illusionarium audiobook, but it no longer appears to be working.

message 5: by Terri (new)

Terri (terricb) | 40 comments I do like Scott Westerfield, and I'll second the vote for the Leviathan series.

Also the Airborn series by Kenneth Oppel is fabulous steampunk with lots of adventure.

And, this was a great YA gothic novel: Splendors and Glooms. I loved it!
--Terri

message 6: by demicaractere (new)

demicaractere | 11 comments Ken wrote: "I just tried to download the Illusionarium audiobook, but it no longer appears to be working."

That's so annoying =( I swear it worked the other day when I showed my roommate... My local library's collection on Overdrive has it so yours may too. I'm sorry the link didn't work.

message 7: by Sallyavena (new)

Sallyavena | 41 comments Just read Etiquette and Espionage which was a fun read that is definitely Victorian and steampunk

message 8: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer | 3 comments The Dark Unwinding by Sharon Cameron is excellent (YA steampunk).

message 9: by B (new)

B (deathandchocolate) | 37 comments ^^^ i second that :) it's basically political historical fiction with a steampunk edge

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

I somehow got on this tread because it says clean reads. Some of the books are not clean. I want off.

message 11: by Kate (new)

Kate Willis Storming by K.M. Weiland is a fantastic dieselpunk.