Fantasy and Vampire Book Club discussion

General Chit Chat > Kindle Updates and info

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Amyiw, Challenges Moderator (new)

Amyiw | 1083 comments Mod
OK I don't know if this thread will be used more than once but I thought it needed to be somewhere.

My Kindle updated without a by your leave and I was steaming. It is now on version 5.8.2.1

Does anyone else get irritated by the forced updates to something that is working great. Then again, I've hated the 5.7... software that I had.

message 2: by Amyiw, Challenges Moderator (last edited Oct 11, 2016 09:11PM) (new)

So, today I turned my wifi on, on my Paperwhite (2nd gen PW, 6th gen Kindle) and it hung up on downloading my new content then finally it came in. But then I found out why it hung up. It was downloading "new software". Because after the sync it decided it was time to reboot. How annoying when I was just trying to start a book that I had sent via Amazon website to my Paperwhite.

Instead of reading, I got 7 minutes of watching Youtube while my Kindle was "updating software Please wait" then rebooting. I was livid.

Now part of the reason I was mad was that the last software update ticked me off so greatly (kind of like the new Goodreads Home screen that I don't use at all anymore) that I didn't update my second paperwhite. I hate the "home" screen. Well easy enough to change it to list view.

To understand me better, I paid the extra to have an ad free Kindle. In list view I have 8 books listed instead of the 7 books plus an ad in the "with ad" version. Also nice background screens but the 8 books per page list view was my main reason. If you use cover view you just get bigger covers and only 6 either way. So the update in March to the "new" home screen with ads posing as recommends and links to GR and all the rest, wasn't appealing. Even less appealing was the new font coloring which makes it much harder to read for older eyes. I was very unhappy with the update to my reader and wanted to yell.

So today Amazon took over my Kindle again. Took it over for 7 minutes plus, while I surfed the web and Youtubed to find out about the new update that I had no idea was coming. I could find very minimal information on the new update. In someways that is good as people weren't complaining loudly about the changes.

Well, guess what? My dots indicating length of the book are back. OMG I missed those so much on the last update! They had taken them away. They're back! They're back! Also, I think they darkened some of the font back too. Did Amazon actually listen to customers complaints? Still I wish I could opt in or out of these updates or at least give us a yes or no at the time and tell us we must in blah, blah, blah days or it will be automatic. Then I would do it, with reluctance unless I know it is beneficial. I would do it after I've read what I turned the wifi on to download in the first place, not twiddle my thumbs for over 7 minutes (that includes the hang up while syncing) and getting steamed. Well I love that the dots are back. Cannot tell you about the home screen as I don't use it.

message 3: by Amyiw, Challenges Moderator (last edited Oct 11, 2016 09:12PM) (new)

Well the update didn't fix the search feature which is a pet peeve of the March update. When you use the search while reading a book, it searches in the book. To search for books you have to get out of the book you are in. So, why not search my list while I'm in list view and only search my lists? Instead it tries to search everywhere, Goodreads, Amazon, etc... and my list and brings me to the dreaded "Home Page" that I don't use and gives me a "Connect to network" error. I then have to select "My Items See All" to go back to my list search results. Ok, so it is only one step but... it is irritating.

message 4: by Adele, Moderator (new)

Adele (turtil) | 1767 comments Mod
I have two tablets. I use them more than my laptop. and I use both for reading. so getting a kindle would be overkill. But when you talk about your kindle I wish I had one but when you have problems I'm kinda glad I don't. I tried a small e reader once... then went into tablets. I liked both but I like my tablets better I think. But when they finally die on me.(electronic stuff doesn't like me much) I will seriously consider a kindle.

message 5: by Amyiw, Challenges Moderator (new)

You've got the Kindle app on them? Well here in the USA Amazon has a new library for Prime members. It used to be only one book could be taken out per month in the Kindle Unlimited library, now there is a smaller Prime Library.
Prime Lending Library

I have such a Love/Hate relationship with Amazon.

message 6: by Adele, Moderator (new)

Adele (turtil) | 1767 comments Mod
of course i have the kindle app! but i'm talking about the kindle device.
but yes i have a love/hate thing with amazon too. they keep asking me to change regions to the au version. which is only ebooks. if amazon were properly set up here in australia i would A) apply for a job B) buy all my craft stuff on there and C) be happy as a pig in mud!

message 7: by Amyiw, Challenges Moderator (new)

LOL, yep they haven't got it going completely in many countries but they are starting. I wish I could order the French books from the Canada Amazon as they are just not available here frequently. I could do the paperbacks but then the shipping usually is the cost of the book so doubles my price.

message 8: by Norma, BOM & Co Moderator (new)

Norma Mills | 653 comments Mod
I haven;t turned my Kindle on in months... LIKE a year... I probably should.

message 9: by G.G. (new)

G.G. (ggatcheson) | 41 comments Hahah I generally hate ALL updates unless it is to fix a REAL bug, which is almost never the case. Their so called improvements always make me pull out the few hair I got left. So yes I get irritated when an update pops up on any device or computer. :(

You're mentioning Kindle, but have you ever had iPad and iTunes? Oh my... I haven't used iTunes since ages due to an update that either removed or hid (I can't tell) my favorite features. )