October 2016: Historical Fiction > Cold Sassy Tree - Burns - 3 stars

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jgrace (new)

Jgrace | 2817 comments Cold Sassy Tree by Olive Ann Burns

Cold Sassy Tree - Olive Ann Burns
Audio performance by Grover Gardner
3 stars

Cold Sassy Tree is a small town in Georgia. It’s 1906. It’s new century, and despite lingering scars of the Civil War, progress will come to Cold Sassy Tree. Things are changing in the country, in the state, in the little town and especially in Will Tweedy’s interesting family.

I’m not sure what to think about this book. There’s warmth and humor, but it’s also sad. Somehow, I got very pulled down by in the petty meanness and the small minded bigotry of Cold Sassy Tree. It made it difficult for me to appreciate the humor. Maybe I was affected by our current 21st century political climate. Or, maybe I’m just too much of a damn Yankee.

This was one of the ‘free’ audible books offered with my amazon prime subscription. I was irritated with the quality of the recording. Maybe the difficulty was that I had to ‘stream’ the book rather than download, but it had an annoying tendency to skip like a broken record. Overall, an underwhelming experience.

message 2: by Denizen (last edited Oct 12, 2016 07:50AM) (new)

Denizen (den13) | 1138 comments I read and enjoyed this 15-20 years ago and remember liking it and the sequel quite a bit. Wonder what I would think now.

message 3: by Barbara M (new)

Barbara M (barbara-m) | 2224 comments Like Denizen, I read this many years ago. I'm also a damn Yankee but I loved this and recommended it to many. I too wonder how I'd feel about it today - which is why I don't re-read!