Old Souls Book Club discussion

Yoga and the Quest for the True Self
Book Recommendations > Yoga and the Quest for True Self, by Stephen Cope

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Saiisha | 544 comments Mod
I loved this book! I didn't quite know what to expect when I picked it up, but yoga has been dear to me all my life, and of course, the quest for the true self is central to yoga philosophy, so I had to read it. It's a well-written, well-researched book, but with none of the pedantic clinginess to theory - which is difficult to avoid when the author's trying to deal with a 4,000 year old philosophy, that has evolved and morphed over all those years.

But Stephen Cope brings a delightful fresh eye to yoga by bringing the reader along on his journey as a student of yoga. It's a satisfying journey to be part of, from the moment he decides to step into Kripalu Yoga Center, to how he integrates the different teachings into an understanding of his own in the end. I was surprised that he included the stories about the falling apart of Kripalu amidst the scandals of its leader, and then how the community came together to rebuild it again. I also appreciated the appendix about the metaphysics of yoga.

It was a valuable read. I took lots of notes. And I'll probably revisit it from time to time.

message 2: by Barbara (new)

Barbara | 127 comments Sounds like a great read, thanks Saiisha!

Saiisha | 544 comments Mod
Barbara wrote: "Sounds like a great read, thanks Saiisha!"

I enjoyed it Barbara! And I'd love to hear what you're reading as well, on this thread... https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...