THE Group for Authors! discussion

General Discussion > Author/Title Searches

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Alan (new)

Alan Field (alanjfieldbooks) | 9 comments I need to understand why my book, The Chemist, does not appear on page one of the search. Is there any way I could improve the odds of it appearing higher?
What criteria does goodreads use? Does it use an algorithym like amazon.com?

Please advise

message 2: by Eric (new)

Eric Westfall (eawestfall) | 178 comments Alan,

I have absolutely no idea what the GR software does when deciding what sequence to use to display results, but I just did the search, and it appears that the software ignores "the" and lists every book that has any variation of the word "chemist" in it. And there are 1192 titles.

In some search boxes, putting quotes around the phrase limits the search results to an exact match, but I tried that and the results were the same.

When you're competing with 1191 titles with the same key word, there may not be anything you can do.

Hopefully someone from GR with more knowledge will respond. I'm curious, too, about how GR searches and sorts.

Eric

message 3: by Alan (new)

Alan Field (alanjfieldbooks) | 9 comments I noticed that Stephenie Meyer's book by the same name ALWAYS is in the first position--and it's not even available for sale yet.

message 4: by Paula (new)

Paula (paulaan) | 332 comments There are lots of complaints about GR search in in the feedback group. You could search the threads there for GR previous responses to the complaints

message 5: by Mari (new)

Mari (anyone) | 20 comments There isn't that problem on Amazon or Barnes & Noble. The problem could arise when the author has nothing but difficulties when trying to enter a new work.

message 6: by Alan (new)

Alan Field (alanjfieldbooks) | 9 comments My frustration level is at an all-time high with this issue.

Whenever I type in the title, my book still is nowhere to be found. I don't get it. This doesn't happen on Amazon.com. I find it easily with my name search.

Us tthere anyone in administration who could help me resolve this issue? This didn't start happening until about a month ago.

message 7: by Mari (new)

Mari (anyone) | 20 comments Alan, it happened to me. At the bottom of your Dashboard on the right-hand side, see if there are numbers like 2, 3. There are actually two (or more pages to your Dashboard, and the book may already be there on the second or third page.

message 8: by Alan (new)

Alan Field (alanjfieldbooks) | 9 comments Mari, is there anyway to improve the search results. I swear it was on page one at one time. Not only that, four positive reviews were just added last week.

message 9: by Mari (new)

Mari (anyone) | 20 comments That I have no idea. I've heard lots of complaints about reviews disappearing. I'm just posting as someone who used their Help service and they pointed out the numbers below.

message 10: by Frances (new)

Frances Caballo (francescaballo) | 23 comments I would contact CreateSpace if you have a paperback version of your book. They are so helpful and respond immediately if you indicate you want a call back. So sorry you're having these issues.