Goodreads Authors/Readers discussion

Author Resource Round Table > Paperback - Hardback Book Sizes

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by K.R. (new)

K.R. Reese (authorkrreese) | 73 comments Hi,

I only have one book published, and had a sample sent to me through Lulu. What sizes do you guys recommend for Paperback and Hardback? I got a Paperback sample and it was more the size of what a children's book would be. Even the words were like a children's book, bigger writing etc. any suggestions?

Thanks,

KR

message 2: by Christina (new)

Christina Bates | 25 comments I'm also interested to hear other's thoughts on this. Createspace says the paperback normal standard is 6 X 9, but there are other standard sizes and the 6 X 9 seems too big for what I want. Instead, I found one of my favorite books uses 5.25 X 8 which I think I really like and it's a standard size.
So what do you guys think of that size and what do you guys use for your font and font size in paperback as well?

message 3: by K.R. (new)

K.R. Reese (authorkrreese) | 73 comments Hi Christina,

I originally posted this. But, after much experimentation, I went with the 5.25x8 as well. I've been using 10pt font and 1.5 line spacing.

message 4: by Christina (new)

Christina Bates | 25 comments But the font itself matters too because different fonts sit at different sizes even if they use the same pt font size. I've seen plenty of suggested fonts, but I am curious what some self published authors are using.
But I use the same line spacing as well, 1.5 seems to be what's most liked.

message 5: by Charlie (last edited Jan 07, 2017 07:34AM) (new)

Charlie Garratt (charlie_garratt) | 6 comments As already said, it's both the actual font as well as the font size that matters. I recently co-ordinated self-publication of a collection of short stories by a writers group and used an 8" x 5" format which came out well. We used 11pt text but switching from one font to a different one added 40 pages to the book. Consequently we changed back as it added a significant amount to the cost and was only a marginal difference in preference.
It's also important to consider the readability of the text by your audience, e.g. many older readers prefer a larger font because their eyesight may not be as good as it used to be (me included).
For line spacing, in both the self-publishing projects I've helped with, and my own novel through a small publisher, the line spacing has been single, although, again, the actual space depends on the font.

message 6: by Michael (new)

Michael Lewis (mll1013) | 128 comments I use Garamond 11 pt. with 1.25 line spacing. For reference, the third draft of the novel I'm currently working on weighs in at 134K words / 377 pages, so that's about 355 words/page.