Obsessed with True Crime discussion

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Fishface (new)

Fishface | 12699 comments This is an excellent movie. Based on True Story: Murder, Memoir, Mea Culpa by Mike Finkel, it's part autobiography, part TC. Finkel had just been fired from a prestigious journalism job, and was just starting to get his feet back under him, when he was told that a fugitive from justice had used his name to hide from the authorities after killing his wife and kids. Finkel decided, hey, I have all this spare time on my hands; I might as well meet the guy now he's been arrested. The movie focuses more than the book does on his relationship with the killer, Christian Longo, who met his wife in Ypsilanti, MI, where I was born. Jess Franco -- always a favorite of mine -- plays the murderer, and of all people, Jonah Hill plays Finkel. I associate Hill with lowbrow teen comedies, but he does a great job playing an intelligent, rather aggressive guy being gobsmacked by life over and over and trying to make sense of it all.

message 2: by Shelley (last edited Oct 28, 2016 06:42PM) (new)

Shelley | 1225 comments Just watched this and I agree that it is an excellent movie and James Franco did a really really good job of playing a master manipulator. Jonah Hill portrayed Finkel as very naive and I didn't think that was realistic but otherwise, very well done.

message 3: by Fishface (last edited Oct 30, 2016 12:36PM) (new)

Fishface | 12699 comments I really wonder whether the real Christian Longo is this calculating master criminal, the way Franco plays him. When I read the book they based the movie on, Finkel made Longo seem sort of hapless.

message 4: by Shelley (new)

Shelley | 1225 comments The truth probably lies somewhere in the middle.

message 5: by Piyush (new)

Piyush Gupta (piyush_g9) name of the movie?

Diane in Australia | 640 comments Piyush wrote: "name of the movie?"

True Story
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2273657/

message 7: by Fishface (new)

Fishface | 12699 comments When I post about a movie, FYI, the title of the movie is also always the title of the discussion.

message 8: by Lady ♥ Belleza, Gif Princesa (new)

Lady ♥ Belleza (bella_foxx) | 3390 comments Mod
Fishface is remarkably consistent.

message 9: by Christine (new)

Christine Hatfield  (christinesbookshelves) | 168 comments I’ve heard about that story and I watched the movie