Audiobooks discussion

Archives > Who Is Your Favorite Dangerous Dame?

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by AudioFile (new)

AudioFile Mag | 1840 comments Murder and Mendelssohn (Phryne Fisher, #20) by Kerry Greenwood October being Halloween month, we've decided to focus on mystery for the next 20 days or so. And to kick it off, we're calling for the titles of your favorite audio Dangerous Dames. We all can learn from each other, and at AudioFile, we'll post a few of your suggestions to our FB page.

One of my personal favorite dangerous dames, Kerry Greenwood's Australian crime-solver, Phryne Fisher, gorgeously voiced by Stephanie Daniel, is featured in the newest AFM Blog post: https://blog.audiofilemagazine.com/20....

We also have a Dangerous Dames FB giveaway contest that includes the Fisher adventure Murder and Mendelssohn. This'll soon become a collector's item, as sadly, Stephanie Daniel is no longer with us. I gave it an Earphones Award when it came out: http://www.audiofilemagazine.com/revi....

message 2: by Margaret (new)

Margaret | 316 comments Phryne Fisher jumped to my mind when I read "Dangerous Dames". Mary Russell, apprentice of Sherlock Holmes of Laurie R. King's series came next.

message 3: by AudioFile (new)

AudioFile Mag | 1840 comments Margaret wrote: "Phryne Fisher jumped to my mind when I read "Dangerous Dames". Mary Russell, apprentice of Sherlock Holmes of Laurie R. King's series came next."

Oh of course, Mary Russell! Definitely dangerous. Have you heard the most recent, which was read by Jenny Sterlin and Susan Lyons? I loved it even though it was a bit of a departure: http://www.audiofilemagazine.com/revi....

Here's another one - Lisbeth Salander in The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo etc., read by Simon Vance.

message 4: by Jeanie (new)

Jeanie | 3609 comments Eve Dallas from the In Death series by J. D. Robb. The series as a whole with all its characters is great. I must admit that tough cop Dallas sometimes just aggravates me, but Roark and Peabody balance it out.

message 5: by Patricia (new)

Patricia (pjaye) | 447 comments Kirby Mazrachi from The Shining Girls by Lauren Beukes.
She's one tough cookie! Survives and attempt on her life and then focuses on trying to find her would be killer, even travelling back in time.

message 6: by MissSusie (last edited Oct 14, 2016 11:48AM) (new)

MissSusie | 1961 comments I have some hist.fic cozies/mysteries because dames to me denotes an earlier time period but I wanted to add some current dames too.

Lady Georgiana Rannoch from Her Royal Spyness by Rhys Bowen narrated by Katherine Kellgren

Thursday Next The Eyre Affair by Jasper fforde 1st book is narrated by Susan Duerdan and the rest are narrated by Emily Gray all good!

Mercy Thompson 1st book is Moon Called by Patricia Briggs narrated by Lorelei King

message 7: by AudioFile (new)

AudioFile Mag | 1840 comments Aurelia here. These are all such great suggestions, and so many that I haven't read. More excuses for numb ears!

So what would you all say to Miss Marple? (As read by Joan Hickson.) I mentioned it to a friend who said, 'No! Not in the right spirit.' And I get that, but at the same time, she always got the culprit while managing to look tame. A stealth dangerous dame?

message 8: by Regan (new)

Regan | 138 comments Maybe not Miss Marple, but what about Tuppence Beresford of Tuppence and Tommy? Their first appearance is in The Secret Adversary.

message 9: by AudioFile (new)

AudioFile Mag | 1840 comments Regan wrote: "Maybe not Miss Marple, but what about Tuppence Beresford of Tuppence and Tommy? Their first appearance is in The Secret Adversary."

Regan, you're totally right. I loved Tuppence - such spirit! Definitely dangerous. And I had totally forgotten about her, which is embarrassing since in addition to reading The Secret Adversary (with my eyes) I reviewed one of the many audiobook versions for AudioFile and loved it. If you want to revisit The Secret Adversary, I recommend this version: http://www.audiofilemagazine.com/revi....

message 10: by Jeanie (new)

Jeanie | 3609 comments MissSusie wrote: "I have some hist.fic cozies/mysteries because dames to me denotes an earlier time period but I wanted to add some current dames too.

Lady Georgiana Rannoch from Her Royal Spyness by ..."

I agree with all of these!

As for who qualifies as a Dangerous Dame... I'm willing to toss Miss Marple into the mix. A strong intellect often triumphs over brute force. Sherlock Holmes and Nero Wolfe used their brains rather than brawn and criminals came to fear them. Wy shouldn't women's dangerous mindpower gain them the same respect?

message 11: by AudioFile (new)

AudioFile Mag | 1840 comments Jeanie wrote: "MissSusie wrote: "I have some hist.fic cozies/mysteries because dames to me denotes an earlier time period but I wanted to add some current dames too.

Lady Georgiana Rannoch from [book:Her Royal S..."

What a wonderful point. Makes me smile from ear to ear.

message 12: by Specs (new)

Specs Bunny (specsbunny) | 392 comments Jeanie wrote: "MissSusie wrote: "I have some hist.fic cozies/mysteries because dames to me denotes an earlier time period but I wanted to add some current dames too.

Lady Georgiana Rannoch from [book:Her Royal S..."

Quite right, Jeanie!

I like to add Morgaine (Morgan le Fay) as a dangerous favorite!

message 13: by AudioFile (new)

AudioFile Mag | 1840 comments Specs wrote: "Jeanie wrote: "MissSusie wrote: "I have some hist.fic cozies/mysteries because dames to me denotes an earlier time period but I wanted to add some current dames too.

Lady Georgiana Rannoch from [b..."

Excellent - dangerous and powerful!