Play Book Tag discussion

Archives 2016-2017 > Dewey's Readathon

Comments Showing 1-27 of 27 (27 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jen (new)

Jen | 1545 comments I can't remember who posted about this last time but I want to thank them. I was skeptical about readathons but had so much fun last time thanks to all the mini challenges and reader interaction.

The next one will be held October 22nd.

This year I'll be helping moderate two of the hours (I believe hours 9-10) for the goodreads group and there's a chance our blog will be hosting a mini challenge where we will give away a prize.

Would be fun to see familiar faces pop up during the readathon. If you want to sign up you can do so here:
http://www.24hourreadathon.com/?p=6468

message 2: by Chili (new)

Chili Hanson (chilipinkcat) | 110 comments I will be participating again. This will be my third Dewey's. I can't wait and I'm counting down the days.

message 3: by Jen (new)

Jen | 1545 comments Chili wrote: "I will be participating again. This will be my third Dewey's. I can't wait and I'm counting down the days."

great! I'll look out for you on social media!

message 4: by Jenni Elyse (new)

Jenni Elyse (jenni_elyse) | 1266 comments I'll be participating again as well. This will be my second one.

message 5: by Joi (new)

Joi (missjoious) | 3782 comments I've never heard of an online challenge readathon! Can someone explain a little further? I read there are mini-challenges that can take 10-15 minutes to complete? What are those like/examples?

I've only heard of a physical read a thon, where you just sit and read, haha.

message 6: by Jen (new)

Jen | 1545 comments Joi wrote: "I've never heard of an online challenge readathon! Can someone explain a little further? I read there are mini-challenges that can take 10-15 minutes to complete? What are those like/examples?

I'..."

usually similar to discussion questions or mini tasks. Last year there were things like post a photo of your reading nook, write a literary limerick, share a favorite recipe or snack, create a playlist for the book you're reading, etc. Basically small things to foster discussion, give people a break from reading, and win prizes.

message 7: by Jen (new)

Jen | 1545 comments Jenni Elyse wrote: "I'll be participating again as well. This will be my second one."

yay! I will look out for your name to pop up too

message 8: by Nicole D. (new)

Nicole D. | 1476 comments I should participate because I need motivation, but I have a memorial that day
the link didn't work for me

message 9: by Nicole D. (new)

Nicole D. | 1476 comments nevermind, it worked now

message 10: by Tracy (new)

Tracy (tstan) | 1182 comments I'm signed up.

message 11: by Amy (new)

Amy | 8296 comments I believe this challenge happened in April and I joked that I was going to be reading one book - the Haggadah, and I was going to be reading it over and over again! This year the challenge falls when we will be at a wedding in sort Lauderdale, no kids. I will be reading a Gentleman in Moscow on the beach.. I also have the Muse, (Jessie Barton?) Hot Milk, and the Expats. It will be a pleasure four days for me!

message 12: by LibraryCin (new)

LibraryCin | 8129 comments Ah, if I didn't already have plans for that day....

message 13: by Jennifer P. (new)

Jennifer P. Pope (jenjunum) | 902 comments I remember hearing about this before. I think I'll try it.

message 14: by Amy (new)

Amy | 8296 comments Would you believe I haven't read a book in 24 whole hours? Unusual for any of us. I'm sure will be rectified by tomorrow night. Today: worked, cooked, ate, prayed, sang, and cleaned up! Much the same tomorrow....

message 15: by Jen (new)

Jen | 1545 comments Here's the link to the goodreads group for the readathon:

https://www.goodreads.com/group/show/...

You can start your own thread to keep track of reading, join in discussion and get tips and info.

message 16: by Kimber (new)

Kimber (kimberwolf) | 824 comments I have been looking forward to this since the last one but, ironically (i think), my book discussion group getaway weekend is that weekend. The members rent a house for the weekend and we get together and visit and eat and choose books for the next sixth months, but don't do as much actual reading as we normally would. Maybe I can squeak a few hours in though.

message 17: by Jen (new)

Jen | 1545 comments Kimber - how fun!

message 18: by Elise (new)

Elise (ellinou) | 524 comments I think I'll give it a shot, see how long I last! Plus, my cat's name is Dewey, so I don't really have a choice to participate, haha!

message 19: by Jen (new)

Jen | 1545 comments Ellie - how perfect

message 20: by Jen (new)

Jen | 1545 comments Just wanted to post an update that we'll be hosting one of the mini challenges for the readathon on our blog -- hour 9 (4pm eastern time).

We'll be giving away a prize for a randomly selected readathon participant. I hope you stop by between 4-5pm and participate! www.thereadersroom.org

I've also spent most of my week trying to plan my reading - rather than actually read anything.

message 21: by AJ (new)

AJ Timberlake (ajtimberlake) | 822 comments I'm keen to join in and see what happens. I've never done anything like this before. Is there a time zone that this takes place in?

message 22: by Jen (new)

Jen | 1545 comments AJ wrote: "I'm keen to join in and see what happens. I've never done anything like this before. Is there a time zone that this takes place in?"

Yes, it's Eastern time at 8am. I think they put a link to a world clock so you can see when it starts in your time zone. Let me go look for it.

message 23: by Jen (new)

Jen | 1545 comments AJ wrote: "I'm keen to join in and see what happens. I've never done anything like this before. Is there a time zone that this takes place in?"

Here you go...
https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

This is the link to their links which includes the world clock. If you click it, it should take you to your start time.

message 24: by AJ (new)

AJ Timberlake (ajtimberlake) | 822 comments Jen wrote: Here you go...
https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/..."

Thank you so much. This is all new to me but I am keen to try

message 25: by Jen (new)

Jen | 1545 comments Not sure if this will work but here is my initial attempt at a Readathon list:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BLuPS8BjC...

Something I've learned about myself thanks to PBT is that I love to plan lists and think ahead but when it comes to reading, I'll plan a bunch of options then pretty much do whatever I'm feeling like in the moment. For example, this month I had planned a bunch of books and really didn't get to any of them (yet) but instead read other books that fit the tag but weren't on my initial list.

All that to say that I've prepped this list in order for me to ignore it on Saturday. Anyway, I tried to pick a selection of different kinds of books so that if I need a break I can switch gears. I'm looking for ideas for good audios if anyone has any recommendations. Also let me know what you think of my list - if you've read any and whether you would recommend them.

message 26: by LibraryCin (new)

LibraryCin | 8129 comments Jen wrote: "I've also spent most of my week trying to plan my reading - rather than actually read anything...."

Ha! yes, I find that often happens with challenges/games!

message 27: by Jenni Elyse (new)

Jenni Elyse (jenni_elyse) | 1266 comments Here is my "stack" for the readathon:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BLwLASxhk...

Everything I plan to read this time around is on my Kindle, lol, so I just took a picture of my blog post. I'm excited!!! This should be fun!