YA LGBT Books discussion

The Ghost of Buxton Manor
This topic is about The Ghost of Buxton Manor
Buddy Reads > The Ghost of Buxton Manor

Comments Showing 1-31 of 31 (31 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jason (last edited Oct 19, 2016 04:47PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jason (jason_williams) | 732 comments This thread is for Buddy Read/General Discussions of The Ghost of Buxton Manor by Jonathan L. Ferrara.

The Ghost of Buxton Manor by Jonathan L. Ferrara

Blurb:
“Michael, don’t forget our Neverland.”

For nearly a century, the ghost of 17 year-old Rupert Buxton has been trapped in his childhood home. He spends his days reading, roaming, and trying desperately to recall his former life. Hope is restored when a boy his own age moves into the manor—a boy he quickly becomes fascinated by. This peculiar, modern boy is the first person that Rupert has been able to reveal himself to, and just might be the key to help him discover his mysterious past.

The Ghost of Buxton Manor is a young adult, LGBT paranormal fiction centered around historical figures Rupert Buxton and Michael Davies—the inspiration behind the real Peter Pan.

Proposed Start Date: October 12 2016
Proposed End Date: October 31 2016

Participating readers:
Jason
Kim
Darren
Teresa
Jennifer (Alex)
Tex Reader
Sara
Carol

(anyone is welcome to join in, at anytime)

Darren (dwite) | 359 comments Just started it. For now it seems a nice book to me, I like the writing style :)
I only just started so I don't have anything substantial to report, just see this as a reminder that the book is out there now, ready to be read!

Jason (jason_williams) | 732 comments Darren wrote: "Just started it. For now it seems a nice book to me, I like the writing style :)
I only just started so I don't have anything substantial to report, just see this as a reminder that the book is out..."

I'll be starting on Sunday I think, I'm excited as well. I look forward to your thoughts Darren. Also Jonathan will be joining as well if you have any questions or feedback for the author.

Darren (dwite) | 359 comments Jason wrote: "Also Jonathan will be joining as well if you have any questions or feedback for the author."

I like it that Jonathan joins.

Now that I finished "That darn Muse" vol. 3, I will read this book, and if I have any questions, they will appear here.

message 5: by Jonathan (new) - added it

Jonathan Ferrara Hi everyone! I'm here looking over the discussion so if you do have any questions please feel free to comment. I hope everyone is enjoying the novel. Looking forward in hearing your thoughts.
: )

message 6: by Sara (new) - added it

Sara Ella (saraellen) | 94 comments May I join the buddy read? I will be at convention this coming week but will have time to read, I think :) This looks like fun!

Jason (jason_williams) | 732 comments Sara wrote: "May I join the buddy read? I will be at convention this coming week but will have time to read, I think :) This looks like fun!"

Absolutely, Sara! Added you. :~)

message 8: by Sara (new) - added it

Sara Ella (saraellen) | 94 comments Jason wrote: "Sara wrote: "May I join the buddy read? I will be at convention this coming week but will have time to read, I think :) This looks like fun!"

Absolutely, Sara! Added you. :~)"

Yay! Thank you!

Darren (dwite) | 359 comments Hi Jonathan, hi Sara, hi everyone else. I am reading chapter 3 now. I will not go into detail, because I don't want to spoil it for everyone else, nor do I have questions or remarks at this moment.

But I LOVE the book. Normally I am not so into paranormal, but this book might change my mind. Of course I only started, 8% read is nothing. But yeah, captivating :)

Darren (dwite) | 359 comments @Jonathan. I have only read 13% of your book, but I LOVE it. Question: have you taken a real, existing story to base your book on? It has such a realistic sound to it...

@Alex. I've read your poem and it's so cool you're in the review :)

Jennifer Oliveira (justmypipedream) | 65 comments gahh Darren, thank you! And I'm so glad you're enjoying it, this book made me so happy and Jonathan is such an amazing person as well!

message 12: by Darren (last edited Oct 18, 2016 01:32AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Darren (dwite) | 359 comments Jennifer (Alex) wrote: "gahh Darren, thank you! And I'm so glad you're enjoying it, this book made me so happy and Jonathan is such an amazing person as well!"

I really do enjoy the book yes, and your (part of the) poetry website is amazing!
I bought your book too :)

@Jonathan, sorry, got a bit sidetracked, back on track again now ;)

message 13: by Jonathan (new) - added it

Jonathan Ferrara Darren wrote: "Jennifer (Alex) wrote: "gahh Darren, thank you! And I'm so glad you're enjoying it, this book made me so happy and Jonathan is such an amazing person as well!"

I really do enjoy the book yes, and ..."

No worries! : )
Jennifer (Alex) poem is amazing! I love her writing. There is a story behind the story of "The Ghost of Buxton Manor." The story is based off real historical characters: Rupert Buxton and Michael Davies (one of the inspirations for Peter Pan). There are also many characteristics from my husband and myself mixed into the story. The character "Aaron" was based off my husband Aaron. When I first met real life Aaron his best friend was named Kaeli who is also in the book and who's characteristics mirror the fictional character. Almost every character has some sort of meaning behind them. There are also locations in the book that both Aaron and I have visited on our honeymoon which are mentioned closer to the ending of the book.

Darren (dwite) | 359 comments Oh, I really like this, so much nice background info woven into your book, that is special! Thank you for this, it will make me look at your book with different eyes :)

message 15: by Jonathan (new) - added it

Jonathan Ferrara Kim wrote: "I think the fact that there are so many true historical aspects as well as ones from Jonathan's life, make this such a unique reading experience. "

Thank you, Kim!! : )

message 16: by Sara (new) - added it

Sara Ella (saraellen) | 94 comments Jonathan wrote: "Darren wrote: "Jennifer (Alex) wrote: "gahh Darren, thank you! And I'm so glad you're enjoying it, this book made me so happy and Jonathan is such an amazing person as well!"

I really do enjoy the..."

Thank you Jonathan for this history. I have just started reading and now I can envision the characters differently. The life of a ghost - so far it is fun and captivating :)

message 17: by Jonathan (new) - added it

Jonathan Ferrara Sara wrote: "Jonathan wrote: "Darren wrote: "Jennifer (Alex) wrote: "gahh Darren, thank you! And I'm so glad you're enjoying it, this book made me so happy and Jonathan is such an amazing person as well!"

I re..."

Thank you so much, Sara. I hope enjoy the rest. : )

Carol  | 2 comments Hi all! I'm not sure exactly how this works but can I join in the buddy read? I just finished reading the book and am excited to talk about it! (Don't worry, no spoilers!)

message 19: by Mel (new) - added it

Mel (melleach) Carol wrote: "Hi all! I'm not sure exactly how this works but can I join in the buddy read? I just finished reading the book and am excited to talk about it! (Don't worry, no spoilers!)"

Sure, Carol. Join right in. I'm trying to work it in before the end of the month. We'd love to hear your thoughts.

Jason (jason_williams) | 732 comments Carol wrote: "Hi all! I'm not sure exactly how this works but can I join in the buddy read? I just finished reading the book and am excited to talk about it! (Don't worry, no spoilers!)"

Added you to the list Carol. I just started this one last night, I haven't gotten that far into it yet, but loving it so far.

Darren (dwite) | 359 comments Jonathan, silly question that has nothing to do with the story itself.... the fingerprints, are they yours and your husband's? :)

message 22: by Jonathan (new) - added it

Jonathan Ferrara Darren wrote: "Jonathan, silly question that has nothing to do with the story itself.... the fingerprints, are they yours and your husband's? :)"

After many failed attempts at getting our thumbprints on the cover, Aaron decided to use one provided online. : )
It was much quicker and cleaner. It would have been nice to have ours, but it just didn't work out.

Darren (dwite) | 359 comments Kim wrote: "Drat!.."
Hahahaha, yeah, that :D

That's very honest Jonathan, and I can see you both sitting there fumbling with ink and whatnot, funny :)
It stays a great little heart and so beautifully worked out on the cover. I love it.

message 24: by Jonathan (new) - added it

Jonathan Ferrara Darren wrote: "Kim wrote: "Drat!.."
Hahahaha, yeah, that :D

That's very honest Jonathan, and I can see you both sitting there fumbling with ink and whatnot, funny :)
It stays a great little heart and so beautifu..."

Thank you so much! Yes, we knew we wanted the symbol to represent love, as well as the crossing of two worlds/planes---and that would explain the variance in the transparency of the thumbprints. :)

message 25: by Jonathan (new) - added it

Jonathan Ferrara Kim wrote: "It was a great idea Jonathan and it further adds to the personal tone of the story."

Thank you, Kim. I really appreciate that. I like that the thumbprints also give away a hint of the mystery tone.

Jason (jason_williams) | 732 comments I'll be finishing this one tonight or tomorrow. But I have to say, I thoroughly enjoyed it. :~)

Jonathan wrote: "
After many failed attempts at getting our thumbpri..."

Aww, I was hoping there was some sweet story behind the thumbprints. Oh well, at least you guys tried :)

Darren (dwite) | 359 comments I don't have questions really... I finished the book, been reading the second 50% of the book in just a few days. It's wonderful... I have no words for it. I am a lousy reviewer :D
Is it enough when I say I hope you will write more books Jonathan? And that I will read them all? <3

message 28: by Jonathan (new) - added it

Jonathan Ferrara Darren wrote: "I don't have questions really... I finished the book, been reading the second 50% of the book in just a few days. It's wonderful... I have no words for it. I am a lousy reviewer :D
Is it enough whe..."

I'm speechless. All I can say is that I have such a passion for writing and I'm so happy that you enjoyed reading my story. I know that the world of publishing is very subjective, but I'm so glad you found a place in your heart for my novel. :)

P.S. Working away on the sequel :)

message 29: by meg (new) - rated it 2 stars

meg | 4 comments I just ordered it for Christmas! I can't wait! :)

Jason (jason_williams) | 732 comments A sequel is confirmed? So cool, if that's the case.

Darren (dwite) | 359 comments Jonathan wrote: "P.S. Working away on the sequel :) "

YES \o/ :)