Play Book Tag discussion

Archive: Other Books > Truly Madly Guilty by Liane Moriarty -- 3 stars

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nicole R (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7710 comments Truly Madly Guilty by Liane Moriarty
3 stars

This was a quick, easy read that kept me entertained. Others have described it as a "beach read" and even though I read it on cool, autumn days, I completely agree with that general assessment.

Erika and Oliver, Clementine and Sam. and Tiffany and Vid. These three couples and their children have an impromptu barbecue one lovely day. While Erika and Clementine have been friends nearly their whole lives, things are a bit strained at the moment and both hope the addition of the third couple will add some much needed levity to the day.

But, then something goes horribly wrong and these three families each react in very different ways. One could argue that each ends up in a better place than before the accident, but it is a painful -- and rain-filled -- process to get there. And sometimes, you have to let go of the things you cherish the most to grow.

I have a shameful confession here: I googled spoilers for this book before I even hit the halfway mark. And I think it increased my enjoyment of the book. The barbecue day "accident" is not revealed until something like 60% of the way through the book! When details are intentionally withheld for too long, I cannot focus. I get distracted and I feel like I get less from the reading because there is not this pivotal knowledge for me to assess the main characters against.

Honestly, if I wouldn't have googled spoilers, I would have probably only given it two stars. I think the story was good, the characters were unique and different, and I liked their interactions and growth, but the "mystery" part was poorly executed. It was simply distracting and knowing did not ruin the story. At least for me.

Overall, if you are a fan of other Moriarty books then give this one a whirl as well but set your bar a little lower. I will say that the audio was very good, and it is narrated by the same wonderful actress who did The Husband's Secret and Big Little Lies.

message 2: by Ladyslott (last edited Oct 12, 2016 12:45PM) (new)

Ladyslott | 1880 comments I felt much the same as you, although I do think some of the characters were over the top. And I figured out the "mystery' less than a third of the way into the book, there were just so many clues. Not her best book, but an easy somewhat entertaining read

message 3: by Jennifer P. (new)

Jennifer P. Pope (jenjunum) | 902 comments I didn't like how the mystery played out either. I really didn't like the connection with the neighbor either. But I really enjoy Moriarty, so I think I might have rated an extra star just for that. I loved the chapter from the daughter's point of view.

message 4: by Kelly (new)

Kelly | 783 comments I agree this was only a 3 star book.