Horror Aficionados discussion

Black January
This topic is about Black January
Buddy Reads > Buddy Read-Black January by Douglas Wynne

Comments Showing 1-46 of 46 (46 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Char (last edited Oct 11, 2016 08:58AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Char  | 14232 comments Mod
I'm getting ready to read an ARC of Black January by Douglas Wynne. Douglas was giving away a limited number of copies. If you're interested, here's a link: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

If you get a copy and would like to join us, we'd love to have you!

So far it's:

Char
Daniel
John

The way you read, it shouldn't take you long. :)

Cool. So what'll that be, tomorrow? ;)

I should be ready to start it tomorrow, or possibly tonight. I started the thread already in the Buddy Read section, so I'll see you there?

Daniel Barnett | 218 comments I'm about 15% into Red Equinox, and I'd like to finish that one first, but if I fall behind schedule, I'd be happy to jump into this one whenever you two are ready to go. Don't want to keep anyone waiting on my account ;)

No worries, I'm also reading a few short story collections, so just pop in when you're ready.

I will probably still get on it tomorrow and I'll comment here and there. That way when you guys get started, you can come and see what I've said. :)

I hope that you both enjoy Red Equinox as much as I did. I've been following Douglas for a little while now and it's my opinion that his writing is getting better and better. I'm hoping that trend continues with Black January. :)

message 6: by Latasha (new)

Latasha (latasha513) | 11047 comments Mod
this sounds great but I just can't right now. I might pick it up later, depending on what y'all think of it.

Ctgt | 761 comments I'm with Daniel and John. I'll try to read Red Equinox before I start this.

Daniel Barnett | 218 comments About 30% into Red Equinox, so I'm making pretty good progress. Should be done pretty soon unless the upcoming work week crushes me.

LOL John, I knew it wouldn't take you long. I'm pleased that you liked Red Equinox too.

Aww LOL

Daniel Barnett | 218 comments Man, and I thought I was making a pretty good pace at halfway through Equinox.

Daniel wrote: "Man, and I thought I was making a pretty good pace at halfway through Equinox."

LOL Don't you hate that? I hope you're liking RE so far.

Daniel Barnett | 218 comments Char wrote: "Daniel wrote: "Man, and I thought I was making a pretty good pace at halfway through Equinox."

LOL Don't you hate that? I hope you're liking RE so far."

I'm enjoying it quite a bit. His way of weaving the cosmic horror into every day stuff is a really good time. I lived in Boston for 5 years, too, so it's a cool bonus to be able to visualize exactly where all this stuff is happening.

Cool. :)
I'm heading out towards Boston later today to hear Joe Hill speak.

In a few weeks I'll be heading out there again to a book festival where I hope to see Mr. Wynne and get me an autographed copy of Black January. :)

Daniel Barnett | 218 comments Char wrote: "Cool. :)

In a few weeks I'll be heading out there again to a book festival where I hope to see Mr. Wynne and get me an autograph..."

Ah, I'm so jealous you get to see Joe Hill! Is he speaking for The Fireman? I've seen him twice now, but I had to run to get to work this last time when he was out in Portland.

Really wish I had done more--or any--book festivalling when I was out in that area. That sounds like a lot of fun. Hopefully you can track down Mr. Wynne. :)

Daniel wrote: "Char wrote: "Cool. :)

In a few weeks I'll be heading out there again to a book festival where I hope to see Mr. Wynne and get me..."

Yes, he is! I met Joe Hill at the Merrimack Valley Halloween Book Festival last year and he was so gracious. This time he's coming to a library to speak on The Fireman.
The book festival just started last year and it was a blast. This year they moved it to the Haverhill Library. Brian Keene, Paul Tremblay, Christopher Golden and more will be there. IT was my first ever book festival and I had so much fun. :)

Daniel Barnett | 218 comments Char wrote: "Daniel wrote: "Char wrote: "Cool. :)

In a few weeks I'll be heading out there again to a book festival where I hope to see Mr. W..."

That's really cool to hear! You encouraged me to start looking up some book festivals here in Portland, so I signed up for the PNW festival next year and volunteered to help at this year's Wordstock. Hoping they find a place for me.

I'm 75% through Red Equinox, so I should be ready to jump into Black January soon.

Daniel wrote: "Char wrote: "Daniel wrote: "Char wrote: "Cool. :)

In a few weeks I'll be heading out there again to a book festival where I hope..."

That's cool! :)

I'm at about 10%. (view spoiler)

I haven't been able to read much since yesterday due to the killer headache that won't quit. It's still there, but rather subdued today, so I hope to make up for lost time.

John is probably done already. ;)

Daniel Barnett | 218 comments I just finished Red Equinox this morning, and I'll be starting Black January tonight or tomorrow hopefully.

What did you think?

I'm at 38%, Chapter 8.

(view spoiler)

I'm very glad to hear it! I like it too, (at least so far), and I wish more people were aware of it. :)
Not clicking that spoiler just yet.

message 24: by Daniel (last edited Oct 17, 2016 10:55AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Daniel Barnett | 218 comments Char wrote: "What did you think?"

I enjoyed it quite a bit all in all. He does a really good job bringing in other cultures and lore to give extra background to all the Lovecraftian stuff, but I was a little let down by the climax and I think the book could have used another round of hard editing. Not saying the text was riddled with errors or anything--it's obviously been cleaned up nicely--but sometimes the sentences just got a little too busy in my opinion.

My Sunday ended up being pretty packed, so I didn't have a time to crack open Black January, but I'm getting it loaded onto my Kindle now. Hoping to dig into it today.

45% (view spoiler)

message 26: by Daniel (last edited Oct 17, 2016 08:29PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Daniel Barnett | 218 comments I wonder if something weird is going on with Goodreads because I definitely posted something that isn't here . . .

Anyway, I'm about 10% into Black January and digging the whole house concept--especially the bit about the piano (guessing there will be more of that to come). The metaphor likening the house to a magnet that draws the black snow was particularly cool. Wynne has some really tremendous ideas, and I'm excited to see what he's got in store here.

John wrote: "I'm up to 50% [spoilers removed]"

John, me too! Or maybe it's just a red herring?

I'm at about 55% and (view spoiler)

That black snow is really kind of nasty isn't it? I found myself wondering if it would stain my clothes. ;)

I'm excited to see what happens next. :)

message 28: by Char (last edited Oct 18, 2016 10:34AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Still at 55% but wanted to mention a few things:

(view spoiler)

Am I trying too hard to connect these or are you guys noticing this stuff too?

Haha, right?

I'm at 66% now and I (view spoiler)

John wrote: "I'm at 63% [spoilers removed]"

Oh, I know! About lampreys, I mean. Freaky looking things.
*shudder*

LOL Same place, same comment! :)

89% Going in for the kill! I can't find a convenient place to stop.

Finished!

(view spoiler)

Thanks, you two, for reading it with me! You, John, for slowing up and you too, Daniel, for your honest comments regarding Red Equinox. I'm still interested in hearing your thoughts on this one.

Daniel Barnett | 218 comments I was happy to be a part of the read even if I fell behind you guys. I'm sitting at 34% right now and enjoying it (view spoiler) . Looking forward to opening some of these spoiler tags so I can join in (belatedly).

Hope I didn't give the impression that I didn't enjoy Red Equinox. There really is a lot I like about the book, and Mr. Wynne's writing. I just feel that sometimes he tries to fit to many ideas into a single sentence.

How did this one compare to RE for you two? No spoilers, if possible.

message 35: by Char (last edited Oct 19, 2016 11:06AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Daniel wrote: "I was happy to be a part of the read even if I fell behind you guys. I'm sitting at 34% right now and enjoying it [spoilers removed] . Looking forward to opening some of these spoiler tags so I can..."

For me, this one was a little bit better than RE. However, I admit that could be because I have a fondness for haunted house stories-especially House of Leaves, which I read for the first time this year. Wade House reminded me of HOL quite a bit. I also have a fondness for Lovecraftian tales. :)
What do you think, John?

Daniel Barnett | 218 comments I'm also a sucker for haunted house tales. And doors. Seriously. I've got a borderline fetish for doors that open to different places and/or worlds. ;)

message 37: by Char (last edited Oct 19, 2016 11:31AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Daniel wrote: "I'm also a sucker for haunted house tales. And doors. Seriously. I've got a borderline fetish for doors that open to different places and/or worlds. ;)"
Yep. *nods*
And mirrors? I also have a thing for haunted mirrors or mirrors that are portals. :)

message 38: by Daniel (last edited Oct 19, 2016 11:37AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Daniel Barnett | 218 comments Char wrote: "Daniel wrote: "I'm also a sucker for haunted house tales. And doors. Seriously. I've got a borderline fetish for doors that open to different places and/or worlds. ;)"
Yep. *nods*
And mirrors? I al..."

Oh yeah, mirrors too. Doors rank a smidge higher on my fetish list just because you can't see what's behind them. Which I guess is also true for mirrors, but they're still a bit more window-esque in my book. But that reminds me, the bit about the Hancock Tower in RE was probably my favorite for that reason alone. A different (and terrifying) world reflecting on the surface of a giant glass building? Sign me up please.

message 39: by Char (last edited Oct 19, 2016 11:42AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Daniel wrote: "Char wrote: "Daniel wrote: "I'm also a sucker for haunted house tales. And doors. Seriously. I've got a borderline fetish for doors that open to different places and/or worlds. ;)"
Yep. *nods*
And ..."

I think the fact that we're both familiar with that building, (and the city in general, really), helps us to picture things with extreme clarity. I can SEE that reflected world right now, in my mind's eye.
(And it's AWESOME.) :)

Daniel Barnett | 218 comments Char wrote: "Daniel wrote: "Char wrote: "Daniel wrote: "I'm also a sucker for haunted house tales. And doors. Seriously. I've got a borderline fetish for doors that open to different places and/or worlds. ;)"
Y..."

Yup :)

Daniel Barnett | 218 comments John wrote: "I liked this one better, too. The Wade House architecture sounded interesting and bizarre. I also am fond of Lovecraftian tales and things. In fact, I think I liked Wynne's two books better than I ..."

Have you read a lot of Lovecraft, John?

message 42: by Daniel (last edited Oct 20, 2016 12:16PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Daniel Barnett | 218 comments John wrote: "I've read most of the Cthulhu stories."

I have a hard time remembering which ones are the Cthulhu stories, but a few of my favorites were Pickman's Model (for that Poe feel), The Case of Charles Dexter Ward (for the whole mystery of it all), and At the Mountains of Madness (for the sense of awe at the discovery of the lost city). There are a few others I really enjoyed too, but his style is definitely a little harder to digest than most. I get fatigued pretty easily while reading him.

Anyway, I'm at the 80% mark here and hoping to finish today. Finding the pace of this one to be much more consistent than RE, and some of the house hijinks have been a blast.

Daniel wrote: "John wrote: "I've read most of the Cthulhu stories."

I have a hard time remembering which ones are the Cthulhu stories, but a few of my favorites were Pickman's Model (for that Poe feel), The Case..."

I'm glad you're enjoying it, Daniel!

Those are some of my favorite Lovecraft stories as well.
Also, The Rats in the Walls. :)

Daniel Barnett | 218 comments Char wrote: "Daniel wrote: "John wrote: "I've read most of the Cthulhu stories."

I have a hard time remembering which ones are the Cthulhu stories, but a few of my favorites were Pickman's Model (for that Poe ..."

That one too!

Except for the name of the cat . . .

Daniel Barnett | 218 comments Finished. Hoping to post a review before I go into work-work (ah, night jobs). Between Red Equinox and Black January, I definitely think Black January is the better of the two.

I would agree with that. Each book I've read from him is better than the last, IMO. I'm glad you ended up enjoying it. :)