The Book Vipers discussion

The World Without Us
This topic is about The World Without Us
Group Read Archive > Group Non Fiction Read - November 2016 - The World Without Us. SPOILERS ALLOWED

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jo (new)

Jo Weston (joster) | 1697 comments Mod
The discussion thread is now open. Spoilers are allowed on this thread. Don't read on if you haven't finished the book. Can you also unclick the 'Add to my update feed' people don't see your comments in their home screen. Things to consider:

1. Did you like the book?
2. Do you think that the author covers the subject adequately?
3. Do you like the tone and language of the book?
4. Was there any part of the book that was important or significant to you?
5. Have you learnt anything from the book?
6. Has reading this encouraged you to look for other books on the subject?

Laura (lauraoh) | 11 comments I'm still reading this. Finding it really enjoyable to read. Not sure how much I will be able to recall once I'm finished though as reading it in chunks. Similar to the style in which I read A brief history of nearly everything. Very informative on the evolution of the world. On the one side it is pretty depressing to think that our extinction is inevitable and approaching at a scarily fast rate, thanks to our own doing. On the other hand, I find it quite comforting and beautiful that in the end, nature will prevail.

Pink I forgot to post my thoughts when I finished this. Overall I found it a good book, though it did digress from what the world would look like after us, into describing all the awful ways in which we're killing the planet right now. I also found the middle section got a little repetitive, but I ploughed through and I was pleased to finish in the end. There were plenty of interesting snippets of information contained in the book, although it didn't always feel like the most cohesive narrative and definitely stretched the idea of a post apocalyptic like Chernobyl.

It also reminded my of The Sixth Extinction: An Unnatural History and This Changes Everything: Capitalism vs. The Climate if anyone is looking for something similar. I found these both tackled the subject matter in a better way for me.

Patricia | 199 comments I really enjoyed this and have found myself referencing it many times. This was a lot of material, but it was adequately covered. I was left wanting to research more on my own in some areas. The language and style made the book very enjoyable--not too stuffy, not too preachy. I especially liked the presentation of both nature's and mankind's contribution to the disintegration of our planet.
I was surprised at how much the general public (or maybe just me?) doesn't know about the dangers we are surrounded by. The main thing I learned is how little I know! Lots to think about.