Kindle British Mystery Book Club discussion

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by David (new)

David Gooch | 3992 comments Mod
Girl On A Train has come out at the cinema but instead of been set in good old England as per the book, Hollywood has moved it to New York.
That might not seem much of a problem but to the reviewers of the film it is and it isn't coming out as good as perceived.

Read the Guardian's critic and his interesting thoughts on moving films locations at https://www.theguardian.com/film/2016...

The guardian sees Blunt in the role as the best thing about the film.
The review of the film by Mark Kermode is at https://www.theguardian.com/film/2016...

message 2: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 499 comments That was the verdict of some friends who saw it on the weekend. One loved the book, the other (like me) thought it was an ok read. I thought it might be a rare case of the movie being better than the book but they said Emily Blunt was the only redeeming factor.

message 3: by David (new)

I haven't read the book Sandy, my wife is half way through it at the moment.
I noticed that it was on at the local cinema as was thinking I might see if she wanted to see it as she's reading the book but then I saw the reviews and wondered if I should save my money.

message 4: by Danielle (new)

Danielle (danielle_desrochers) | 56 comments I really disliked the book. I didn't like any of the characters, mostly because of their inner monologues, I'm interested in seeing the movie because they won't be able to drone on and on for pages. I hadn't realized they moved the movie to New York, now the cast makes more sense, but that's really irritating.

message 5: by Ann (new)

Ann | 10 comments The Girl on the Train
i liked the book a lot. the changing narrators and happenings left me anxious to finish. i don't like the idea of new york. sounds like the powers that be didn't to bother with crossing the pond. disappointing

message 6: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 499 comments David wrote: "I haven't read the book Sandy, my wife is half way through it at the moment.
I noticed that it was on at the local cinema as was thinking I might see if she wanted to see it as she's reading the bo..."

I'd be interested to hear what your wife thinks of it, David. I thought it was pretty average which is making it tough to pick new books as every second one seems to have "for fans of TGOTT" as part of the blurb.

message 7: by David (new)

I will let you know in due couse Sandy. It wont be this week though as she says she wants to finish the book before seeing the film