Mental Health Bookclub discussion

Book Discussions > 2016 Favourites?

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Martha (new)

Martha (marthais) We're closing in on the end of the year and the Goodreads nominations open on 1st November. That got me thinking back on the books I've read this year, and what I would nominate.

What are your favourites from this year? Any titles so good that you would put them forward for the GR nominations? Any that were published earlier than 2016 (so wouldn't qualify) but you would recommend?

Doesn't have to be mental health books, any recommendations are welcome!

message 2: by Marina (new)

Marina (sonnenbarke) I'm not usually up to date as concerns books, meaning I don't choose books by publishing date. So I don't even know if I've read any books published in 2016! Probably not, as this year I tried to concentrate more on books I already owned.

However, a couple of books stick out of my 2016 reading pile: All the Bright Places (which I'd never have discovered if not for our group read) and Random Acts Of Heroic Love. I really loved a non-fiction book, too: The Boy Who Harnessed the Wind: Creating Currents of Electricity and Hope. These three are my favorite this year, so far.

message 3: by Daniel (last edited Oct 11, 2016 10:09AM) (new)

Daniel Marina, not sure if you know this but if you click on "My Books" at the top of your Goodreads, there's a little link towards the top right of that page which says "Stats". If you click that, it brings up your book stats. If you choose the "Publication Year" option, it lists all of your Goodreads books in a chart based on when you read it vs when it was published.

I just managed to hit 50 books on my yearly challenge last week. But none of those books were from 2016. I only gave three of those books a 5 star rating:

Travels with Charley: In Search of America by John Steinbeck

A lovely little travel book where John Steinbeck drives around America with his dog. I'm a massive Steinbeck lover, so biased.

Norwegian Wood by Haruki Marakami

A depressing book about being in love when you're young. In much of the book, nothing happens. But it really spoke to me in a way few books do. The type of book where I felt like the author had a direct connection to my soul. (Sounds preposterous.)

Unbroken: A World War II Story of Survival, Resilience, and Redemption by Laura Hillenbrand

An extraordinary tale of a man who ran in the Olympics, fought in WW2, got lost at sea for 2 months, then spent 2 years in POW camps. One of those books that put my own life in perspective. Sometimes it's good to be reminded of all you take for granted.

Of all the books I read, this is the one I'd recommend the most.

message 4: by Marina (new)

Marina (sonnenbarke) Daniel wrote: "Marina, not sure if you know this but if you click on "My Books" at the top of your Goodreads, there's a little link towards the top right of that page which says "Stats". If you click that, it bri..."

Thanks Daniel, I had never noticed it! I think browsing through the chart is not so easy, though. But it definitely is interesting.

message 6: by Martha (new)

Martha (marthais) That's interesting that you liked Norwegian Wood, Daniel, I really didn't like it! I guess it didn't speak to my soul - but that doesn't sound preposterous at all!

I don't normally feel the need to be reading the latest books, but I have picked up a few that were published this year. I will definitely be nominating The War on Women, it was an absolutely outstanding examination of gender inequality from a very experienced journalist who sadly passed away before seeing the book published.

Like Marina I also loved All the Bright Places, and would also recommend:
Station Eleven
Everything, Everything
Unless
Big Little Lies
An Invisible Sign of My Own
milk and honey
The Trouble With Women
Rebecca
My Life on the Road
Of Mice and Men

Clearly I'm quite liberal with 5 star ratings!

message 7: by Martha (new)

Martha (marthais) The Goodreads Choice Award nominations are open if anyone wants to take a look: https://www.goodreads.com/choiceaward...

Quite frustrating that it has to have been published in the US specifically - ironically after I said I'd be nominating it, the War on Women obviously hasn't been published there yet as they said it's ineligible - booo!!

message 8: by Martha (new)

Martha (marthais) Would any of you guys be up for submitting reviews for any of these books? See the submissions thread for more info. Hopefully you've seen from the 2017 plan that I'm trying to build a list of member reviews for lots of different books (more focus on mental health, but non-mental health books also welcome!)