Play Book Tag discussion

The Storm Sister (The Seven Sisters, #2)
This topic is about The Storm Sister
October 2016: Historical Fiction > the Storm Sister - 3 stars

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Amy (new) - rated it 3 stars

Amy | 8519 comments 3 stars - I enjoyed the read. Again, requires a serious suspension of disbelief as its major premise. And as in the first novel, the fact that characters are so exquisitely prepared for their deaths, and that research and back stories, available seemingly at each birth to the mysterious Pa Salt - well there is no choice, but to go with it. I do wish even more hints or clues to the hidden theme were revealed. There is one hint of a clue, that never quite gets revealed, and the next sister (book three in the series) is high lit as a teaser. I admit, if nothing else, she does seem curious. What bothers me most, (also the suspension of disbelief) is that these sisters who grew up together, with no knowledge of each of their illustrious pasts, don't really appear to be all that close or linked at all. They each appear the unwitting heroine of their incredible story. Which as long as you go along with the ride, is really quite fine.

As for the story itself, yes a suspension of disbelief is required, but the epic back story is compelling nonetheless. As in the first, while both stories engage, the parallel one set back in time, which is luckily the most predominant one, is also the more compelling one. I deeply enjoyed it.

I'm considering this historical fiction, which fits this month tag for Play Book Tag, because most of the story takes place between 1883 - 1980. The story features a famous figure in history as well as famous events that took place, but I won't tell you which ones, as if you are planning to follow this series, it should unfold for you as it does for the main character.

Now reading: Picking up in library today, Today Will Be Different by Maria Semple, and Hot Milk, by Deborah Levy. Ordering A Gentleman in Moscow on 10/15, if it doesn't show up before then. Great great tag for the month, and admittedly not just my favorite, but kind of my main thing.

message 2: by Anita (new)

Anita Pomerantz | 6432 comments So glad you got a month to read your "main thing". I think it is fair to say most of us here really do like historical fiction.

message 3: by Amy (new) - rated it 3 stars

Amy | 8519 comments I am always reading HF anyway - so thrilled to share this month with others. Truly loving a Gentleman in Moscow. Sounds like you are catching up on GR today... I see you peeking through the past. Sending love and a peach Bellini to you, (even though I'm back to kids and work). Blessings, Amy

message 4: by Anita (new)

Anita Pomerantz | 6432 comments Amy wrote: "I am always reading HF anyway - so thrilled to share this month with others. Truly loving a Gentleman in Moscow. Sounds like you are catching up on GR today... I see you peeking through the past. S..."

I would love a peach bellini right now, so thank you!

I am definitely trying to catch up on GR. I hate missing out on what's going on here, but sometimes real life gets in the dang way.

Where are you in Gentleman? I'm about halfway through now. Definitely enjoying it though there are some slower interludes.

message 5: by Amy (new) - rated it 3 stars

Amy | 8519 comments 70%, maybe %80? but then took my breaks to read up on psychodynamic approaches to addiction for my supervisee.... Talk about non-fiction, lol. Both books are actually compelling.

message 6: by Anita (new)

Anita Pomerantz | 6432 comments Nothing like alternating psychodynamic approaches to addiction with a little Russian historical fiction . . .