Fantasy Buddy Reads discussion

Archive [General] > Best Urban Fantasy

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new)

Jenna Kathleen (jennakathleen) | 4606 comments Mod
I know there are a few urban fantasy readers in the group and I'm wondering what your favourite/most recommended urban fantasy series are. I'd like to add to my giant TBR because sometimes I am in the mood for UF, but I just never know what to read.

message 2: by Olivia (new)

Olivia (vinjii) | 1071 comments If you're not opposed to YA look at Stiefvater's Raven Cycle. I loved it. Also The Dresden Files get recommended a lot. I've only read the first book so far. I thought it was a very interesting start and apparently it gets much better.

message 3: by Margret, Caladan Brood Face (new)

Margret | 3170 comments Mod
Dresden has a shaky start, at about book 3 it starts to pick up in my opinion.

I've heard good things about the Kate Daniels series

message 4: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new)

Scott  Hitchcock (lostinthewarrenofchaos) | 8082 comments Mod
Jenna's shame says she should finish the Reckoners. :)

Menagerie was decent.

I've only read the first Dresdan and it was only OK like Maggie says.

message 5: by Tammie (last edited Oct 11, 2016 09:25AM) (new)

Tammie | 3989 comments The Dresden Files (Jim Butcher) As everyone else has said it gets better and better.

Kate Daniels (Ilona Andrews)

Mercy Thompson (Patricia Briggs)

Alpha and Omega (Patricia Briggs) This is a spin-off series to Mercy Thompson.

The Others (Anne Bishop)

Graveyard Queen (Amanda Stevens) This is kind of an urban fantasy, paranormal ghost story mix.

Heartstrikers (Rachel Aaron) Urban fantasy with dragons. The audio version of this is great.

Dark Alchemy (Laura Bickle) This last one is set in a rural setting, but has the feel of an urban fantasy.

message 6: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (fantasynerd365) | 1030 comments I agree with Dresden and Heartstrikers. Another good one that I'm reading now is Dead Witch Walking

message 7: by Angela, I'm Silverfox lost (last edited Oct 11, 2016 01:23PM) (new)

Angela | 3530 comments Mod
So many great series.

Graveyard Queen is my favourite out of the ones you listed Tammie. It's just so good. A bit spooky, but engrossing. I can't put them down when I'm reading them.

The Others is also wonderful (though I didn't enjoy Bishop's Black Jewel's series. Read the first one, but couldn't go on.)

The Hollows which Elizabeth mentioned I enjoyed as well.

Broken Magic / House Immoral by Devon Monk I thought were good series. House Immortal I thought had really interesting world building.

The Disillusionists by Carolyn Crane was a wonderful too. I really liked the originality of it.

Charlie Madigan by Kelly Gay - I liked this one as Charlie is in her 30's and has a child. Plus OMG she eats food and drinks water - this seems to be largely unheard of in a lot of UF.

October Daye by Seanan McGuire - fairies. It's good. Though my enthusiasm has waned a bit on this one as the plot seems a bit stalled lately.

Dresden Files as well. I've just finished 5 and really having a great time reading them.

message 8: by Margret, Caladan Brood Face (new)

Margret | 3170 comments Mod
Kelley Armstrong's otherworld series starting with Bitten. It's about a mixture of things like werewolves, witches etc. and it's not just following the same characters constantly. There's sex but it's good sex scenes (I normally hate sex scenes) and that is all I will say about that (cough)

message 9: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new)

Thanks, everyone! This is a great list so far. And yes, Scott, I do need to finish Reckoners.

message 10: by Shaitarn (new)

Shaitarn | 1886 comments If you like magic in the real world you might find Simon R Green's Secret Histories series, starting with The Man With the Golden Torc or Benedict Jacka's Alex Verus' novels starting with Fated a good read.

message 11: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (last edited Jan 25, 2017 10:00AM) (new)

Niki Hawkes - The Obsessive Bookseller | 7204 comments Mod
I am definitely reiterating what has already been said, but I have lots of thoughts on this genre lol:

Moon Called – Patricia Briggs, Mercy Thompson [some people say it takes a few books to get going, but I was hooked right from the start!]
Cry Wolf – Patricia Briggs, Alpha & Omega [I did not enjoy the first book… It read more like a paranormal romance. However, it has now evolved into a series I might actually like more than Mercy Thompson… They're both really good]
Dead Witch Walking – Kim Harrison, The Hollows [this one also takes a little while to get going, but it has some of the best moments from any urban fantasy series I've ever read]
Storm Front – Jim Butcher, Dresden Files [I liked the first few books, but they really hit their stride around book 4. I will say, I'm having a few issues with the books after about 11 or so.]
Blood Engines – TA Pratt, Marla Mason [These aren't as in the limelight, but were really well-written and creative. One of my favorites for sure!]
Magic Bites – Ilona Andrews, Kate Daniels [I did not enjoy the first book, but OMG LOVED the second and third. I'm not very far along in the series, but it's in strong contention for my favorite… Just saying.]
Bitten – Kelley Armstrong, Women of the Otherworld [This was probably my favorite werewolf book. I can distinctly remember not being able to put it down, even while trying to cook something for dinner. I just kept walking around the kitchen with it in one hand. I honestly couldn't tell you the last time a book did that to me.]
Hounded – Kevin Hearne, Iron Druid [This series is a lot of fun and is done well enough that you kind of don't care that it's a Harry Dresden knock off. It actually starts out stronger than the Dresden files, in my opinion]
Full Moon Rising – Keri Arthur, Riley Jensen [I LOVE this series primarily for the main character. But fair warning, there is lots and lots of sex. If you want something with a little more UF and less sex, her Outcast series is also fantastic.]
Stray – Rachel Vincent, Shifters [this one leans more towards paranormal romance, and the first one is kind of iffy, but overall it still managed to land as one of my favorites]
Nice Dragons Finish Last – Rachel Aaron, Heartstrikers [I agree with Tammie – fantasy/YA/urban fantasy hybrid that gets better and better with each book - and DRAGONS!]
Dark Currents – Jacqueline Carey, Agent of Hel [this is such a fun trilogy. I wish the series had been longer…]
Succubus Blues – Richelle Mead, Georgia Kincaid [this series is one of my all-time favorites because it had the perfect balance of supernatural, character, romance, humor, and overall story momentum from start to finish. Her [book:Storm Born|2754510] series is also good, but Succubus Blues takes the cake!]

I've also tried a few that were just okay:
Skinwalker – Faith Hunter
Blood Rights – Kristen Painter
Ill Wind – Rachel Caine
Blue Diablo – Ann Aguirre
Magic to the Bone - Devon Monk
Written in Red – Anne Bishop [I only read the first one this one and it really bothered me how she had such an amazing cast of characters, and interesting world, an interesting concept, and she chose to focus on all the mundane, boring things.]
Guilty Pleasures – Laurel K Hamilton [the first four or five started out as scary, kick ass urban fantasies, but the focus shifted from there to sex, sex, creepy stuff, and more sex]
Spider's Bite – Jennifer Estep [this author lost my faith in her ability to sustain a good series with her Mythos Academy series. I only read this first book and it was just okay.]

Anyway, thanks for letting me get my two cents in. :)

message 12: by Chris (last edited Jan 25, 2017 12:49PM) (new)

Chris  (haughtc) | 1683 comments Two that I like a lot but don't see mentioned:

Kitty Norville series by Carrie Vaughn: Kitty and the Midnight Hour
The Black Sun's Daughter by M.L.N. Hanover (aka Daniel Abraham): Unclean Spirits

I've also enjoyed the Felix Castor books by Mike Carey, though I've only read the first two so far: The Devil You Know

message 13: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new)

Niki Hawkes wrote: "I am definitely reiterating what has already been said, but I have lots of thoughts on this genre lol:

Moon Called – Patricia Briggs, Mercy Thompson [some people say it takes a few bo..."

Wow that is a great list - thank you!

And thanks Shaitarn and Chris

message 14: by Shaitarn (new)

Shaitarn | 1886 comments I forgot to add Neverwhere and Sixty-One Nails. And if you don't mind comedy urban fantasy, you might find Christopher Moore's Practical Demonkeeping and Bloodsucking Fiends a good read.

message 15: by Dani (new)

Dani | 577 comments Is anyone here familiar with the Rivers of London series by Ben Aaronovitch and/or the London Falling - Shadow Police series by Paul Cornell. I'd very much like to know if either one of those is worth a try.