Support for Indie Authors discussion

Archived Author Help > Createspace and KDP - I feel stupid

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by C.L. (new)

C.L. Lynch (cllynchauthor) | 316 comments Can someone explain to me how and why createspace and KDP are separate?

I understand that I need to create a KDP account to publish on kindle - does that mean I have to go through entering all the tax stuff and banking stuff AGAIN? Why can't this all be done under one account?

Also, when I made my ARCs it offered to send my files over to KDP for me to turn it into a mobi. But wouldn't it need a different ISBN, which would mean a different interior file (because I would need to change the front matter to have the ebook ISBN instead of the paperback ISBN)?

I want to get my book listed on Amazon and the only way to do that seems to be a KDP pre-order, but I would really rather have the books linked...

I'm not usually an idiot, honestly, but it seems so unnecessarily complicated that I feel like there must be a catch.

message 2: by Marie Silk (last edited Oct 10, 2016 08:33PM) (new)

Marie Silk | 606 comments It seems like they're trying to merge to an extent. This is only within the last few weeks, but I've seen new options on my KDP dashboard that enable me to list a paperback right there. The way I've done it in the past is print both ISBNs in the front matter, with parentheses after each that say either "paperback" or "ebook". I use the two separate accounts (createspace and KDP) to publish my books, then contact author central to have them merged.

Createspace pays royalties a month sooner than KDP for me. I'm not sure how the new KDP dashboard works with listing a paperback.

Amazon can also assign one of their ISBNs for your ebook, but if you want to use your own ISBN, you need to enter it in KDP.

message 3: by Ben (new)

Ben Jackson | 86 comments Kindle does the eBook and Createspace does the paperback. Amazon owns Createspace, but they are separate organizations. When you publish your book on Amazon, it will have a kindle version and a paperback version listed under one title.

message 4: by C.L. (new)

C.L. Lynch (cllynchauthor) | 316 comments Thanks guys. And are the royalties calculated separately?

message 5: by Christina (new)

Christina McMullen (cmcmullen) As Ben said, they are not the same company. Both KDP and Createspace are owned by Amazon, but then, so is Goodreads. Each is its own business with its own reporting.

That being said, there is a new KDP paperback system being rolled out that is separate from Createspace, so you may have the option to do everything under one company, but from what I've seen, KDP paperbacks are limited to Amazon with no expanded distribution at the moment.

As for the ISBN,you do not need one to create an Amazon eBook. Amazon uses their own ASIN system to catalogue all items. If you do get one, then yes, it will need to be different from your paperback.

Finally, your paperback and ebooks are linked automatically provided the title and cover are the same. I've never had an issue with Amazon not linking my books and I do not allow Createspace to convert my paperbacks to eBook. I always do my ebooks first.

message 6: by C.L. (new)

C.L. Lynch (cllynchauthor) | 316 comments Yes, I have an Ebook ISBN already. ISBNs are free in Canada so I picked one up when I got the ISBN for my paperback.

Good to know that they'll be linked...

Does author central help in all of this? I can't get author central til my book is published, right?

message 7: by Ken (new)

Ken Doggett (kendoggett) Christina wrote: "Finally, your paperback and ebooks are linked automatically provided the title and cover are the same...."

Actually, I think it's title and author. My ebook cover is different from my paperback cover, and they both linked up okay. At one time I even had a third cover for the hardback, and had no problem with linking them.

My preference is to upload separate files for both. You can be more creative with the paperback/hardback format, and I like to make a cleaner and prettier layout for those than is possible for the ebook.

message 8: by G.G. (new)

G.G. (ggatcheson) | 2491 comments Christina wrote: "Finally, your paperback and ebooks are linked automatically provided the title and cover are the same. I've never had an issue with Amazon not linking my books and I do not allow Createspace to convert my paperbacks to eBook. I always do my ebooks first...."

Both times I had to contact Createspace to ask them to link the ebook with the paperback. It didn't take long after I did though.

message 9: by Martin (new)

Martin Wilsey | 447 comments Createspace was acquired by Amazon and is slowly being integrated better. CS will make your Kindle version for you but it is not required. Royalties are separate. In fact, royalties from every region are separate.

message 10: by Gerry (new)

Gerry (gerrydowndoggmailcom) | 62 comments I understand your frustration. It's easier to just do Kindle through Createspace, from the paperback version, but most of mine are children's Chapter Books with illustrations and the illustrations don't come through well that way, so I have to go through Amazon.

message 11: by Alfred (new)

Alfred Eyrie | 42 comments Gerry wrote: "I understand your frustration. It's easier to just do Kindle through Createspace, from the paperback version, but most of mine are children's Chapter Books with illustrations and the illustrations ..."

I did the opposite from you; I published to KDP first because it is easier to make changes to an ebook and to control the online content than it is to re-format a paperback on Createspace. A few months after the ebook came out, I finally got the formatting right on the paperback version. Now I can't figure out how to link my kindle version with my paperback version inside of Amazon.com. You run a search for my book, and it comes up with two results: one available as an ebook and the other a paperback.

I've done the exact same thing with four other books under my real name, but for the life of me, I can't remember how I did it.

message 12: by F.A.R. (new)

F.A.R. | 24 comments So, in a related topic, my KDP account now has the Create Paperback option.

Amazon is calling it KDP Print: https://kdp.amazon.com/help?topicId=A...

The whole thing is still in Beta but it does look interesting. Seems like it does handle it all under one account. Kind of want to try it.

message 13: by Graeme (new)

Graeme Rodaughan Starting with an interior file in MS Word, I built my trade paperback format for CS , then passed it through to Amazon to get the linkage and cover.

I then created a new interior file from the PB interior file formatted for kindle - passing it through the following formats.

MS Word (add Kindle specific formatting) -> Filtered HTML (for input to Calibre) -> Loaded into Calibre - convert to an ePUB with Calibre -> export the ePUB file to disk.

Upload the ePUB file to Kindle - I get consistent and desirable format across all kindle platforms.

M. Ray Holloway Jr.   (mrayhollowayjr) | 180 comments When I have done paperback, I have always done KDP first, then Createspace. I have heard numerous people complain that the conversion from CS to KDP does not go well, and they had to spend a lot of time fixing the ebook file. I just create two separate files, and covers, which is really not that difficult, and submit them separately.

Sam (Rescue Dog Mom, Writer, Hugger) (sammydogs) | 968 comments Hi M. Ray,
Submitting separate files sounds like a good move. How do you then have Amazon link them together?
Thank you, Sue

message 16: by Jessica (new)

Jessica Jesinghaus (jessjesinghhaus) | 78 comments F.A.R. wrote: "So, in a related topic, my KDP account now has the Create Paperback option.

Amazon is calling it KDP Print: https://kdp.amazon.com/help?topicId=A...

The whole thing is s..."

F.A.R. Where on the KDP website is the beta print functionality showing? I'm trying to locate it to check out further.

message 17: by Dylan (new)

Dylan Callens | 193 comments The paperback beta is being rolled out to users slowly. I had the (good?) fortune of having access to it early, and tried it out, and I have to say, it's not worth using it quite yet.

There aren't proof or wholesale copies available yet. And there isn't wide distribution available either, if that interests you. The funny part is that I called KDP to ask when they planned on offering wide distribution and I ended up arguing with the rep because he swore up and down that they didn't offer print books. I finally convinced him that they did in fact have a beta program running, so he did some research. According to the rep, there is one print rep -- only one? -- for all of KDP. So, he eventually called me back to explain that he had no clue when these things would be offered.

I was going to use it for a second book but then there were errors in the system and I couldn't upload files properly, so I've abandoned KDP print. It's nice that you have your details and stats in one place but I'll stay away from using it again until they've finished their growing pains.

M. Ray Holloway Jr.   (mrayhollowayjr) | 180 comments Sue (Rescue Dog Mom) wrote: "Hi M. Ray,
Submitting separate files sounds like a good move. How do you then have Amazon link them together?
Thank you, Sue"

Actually, I have never had to do a thing. When I finish posting my paperback on CreateSpace, I then go and post my ebook on KDP (or sometimes in the reverse of that order), and when I go to my book's page, it shows both of them available in Amazon.

message 19: by Codex (last edited Oct 16, 2016 03:44AM) (new)

Codex Regius (codex_regius) | 19 comments Under the precondition that the metadata are the same. If you have any error here, then the print and e-book version will now show up together automatically. But in this case, you can request Amazon to do it manually.

(Hmm, some earlier comment of mine was lost to the thread. Perhaps I clicked the "Post" button too quickly.)