Play Book Tag discussion

October 2016: Historical Fiction > The Garden of Evening Mists - Tan Twan Eng - 4 1/2 stars

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kristel (new)

Kristel (kristelh) | 699 comments The Garden of Evening Mists I've had this book around for awhile on my TBR and found an opportunity to read it now. I own both the digital kindle copy and the audio copy read by Anna Bentinck who I think did a remarkable job with the different voices. The story is set in post WWII but also WWII Japanese prison of war camp. Yun Ling is a survivor (the only survivor) of this camp. Besides historical fiction, this is a story of memory. Memories that we don't want to remember and memories we don't want to lose. The author does a beautiful job of creating backdrop to the story through her characters and the reader is also treated to story of Japanese gardening which is a major theme/symbol in the story. It also is the story of Horimono (Japanese tattoo art). There is so much in this quiet novel, it is rich with layers, that I find it hard to review it. It is a part of PBT- top 100 fiction to read for a reason.

message 2: by Booknblues (new)

Booknblues | 6655 comments I loved this book and it made my top 10 in 2013. I kept looking up pictures of the area in Malaysia where it was located. Really quite stunning.

message 3: by Michael (new)

Michael (mike999) | 569 comments One that got away, and your lovely review makes me regret that. I should always follow Fran's lead.

The Gift of Rain looks lovely too, a recent acquisition.

message 4: by Booknblues (new)

Booknblues | 6655 comments Michael wrote: "One that got away, and your lovely review makes me regret that. I should always follow Fran's lead.

The Gift of Rain looks lovely too, a recent acquisition."

Pioneer The Gift of Rain for me. It is on my TBR but keeps getting moved down, as I'm afraid I won't love it as much as The Garden

message 5: by Amy (new)

Amy | 9159 comments I actually loved the Gift of Rain and considered it a great all time favorite. didn't feel as remotely strongly about the Garden of Evening Mists. I would move it up!

message 6: by Olivermagnus (new)

Olivermagnus (lynda214) | 2305 comments I've had this book on my TBR for years. I'm definitely moving it up.