Play Book Tag discussion

The Shoemaker's Wife
This topic is about The Shoemaker's Wife
October 2016: Historical Fiction > The Shoemaker's Wife

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Hahtoolah | 410 comments I had read good reviews about The Shoemaker's Wife, so was looking forward to reading it. I was sadly disappointed.

The main characters, Enza Ravanelli and Ciro Lazzari, met in Italy and emigrated to America separate, where they eventually met up again and married. They grew up in poverty, and recounts how they earned their living from the ground up. After working under terrible conditions, of which she never complained, Enza got a job as a seamstress at the Met in New York. While working there, she got to meet the great Enrico Caruso. Meanwhile, Ciro learns the trade of shoemaking. After he served in the Great War, he returned, eventually found Enza, and they married. The novel continues to follow their life together. The characters were too goody-goody for me. Trouble would befall them, but they never seemed to mind.

For some reason, I felt obliged to finish this book. As a result, it took me forever to read.

I can only give it 2 stars.

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 5631 comments I listened to the audio and liked it quite a bit. 4**** from me.

Nicole D. | 1476 comments I didn't like it either