Eclectic Readers discussion

Station Eleven
This topic is about Station Eleven
Past Books > Station Eleven

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Jeannette (jmtrivera) | 517 comments Mod
In this novel, Mandel shares the stories of several people whose lives are intertwined through their experiences prior to, during, and after the end of humanity is brought about by an epidemic called the Georgian flu. This unique look at the end of the world travels back and forth through time, makes references to Shakespeare and "Star Trek," and shows an interesting perspective of humanity after a world-ending crisis. What perspectives did you find fascinating?

Paul DiBara (pauldib) | 1 comments It may be the most realistic post apocalyptic I've read. The individual psychological responses were entirely believable.

The back-and-forth and sideways narratives allowed a more complete understanding of motivations and individual characters. I was disappointed in the superficial exploration of Tyler's personality and motivations (the Prophet).

For me, the pace was too slow and the exploration of motivations and personalities could have been deeper.

message 3: by Sue (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sue (ruri_kaichou) | 333 comments Mod
Paul wrote: "It may be the most realistic post apocalyptic I've read. The individual psychological responses were entirely believable."

I wholeheartedly agree! It felt it was a point in time where I could see myself and where the some of the characters would act and react to the situation.

Paul wrote: "For me, the pace was too slow and the exploration of motivations and personalities could have been deeper"

It seemed a little slow, but the pace wasn't so bad for me. And I think characterization could have been deeper, but because the author was handling so many characters, it was understandable.

Jeannette (jmtrivera) | 517 comments Mod
Sue wrote: "Paul wrote: "It may be the most realistic post apocalyptic I've read. The individual psychological responses were entirely believable."

I wholeheartedly agree! It felt it was a point in time where..."

I think it's interesting that you both found it a little slow. I definitely don't think it was a fast-paced book, but I didn't find it slow. Maybe that's due to the frequent switch of perspective? It kept moving just enough for me not to notice it?

I do agree that I wanted more of all the characters, because I just enjoyed what we got of them so much. I liked the open-endedness though, and I wonder if I would have enjoyed it as much if we had seen more. As it was, I really agree with you guys, that it was very realistic and easy to relate.

Megan (meganbrinckerhoff) When I spoke with my mom this week, I think we talked about books for at least half an hour and I may have convinced her to read Station Eleven (she doesn't typically like spec fic), then I pitched Station Eleven to my boss (after talking about books for close to half an hour) and she's going to borrow my book! Can you tell I liked this book? Gotta spread the word!

message 6: by Sue (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sue (ruri_kaichou) | 333 comments Mod
Regarding the pace, I think it was pretty noticeable when listening to the audiobook. A part of the problem is that I kept wanting to know what happened next and I wanted to story to move along.

Spread the word Megan! That way we can be better prepared for when the work ends.

Megan (meganbrinckerhoff) Just thought I'd report back, my boss has already returned my book to me - it took her less than a week to finish it and she loved it! :)