Shakespeare Fans discussion

Literary Criticism & Bard > Shakespeare Apps

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by DavidE (new)

DavidE (shaxton) | 358 comments I would like to hear about any Shakespeare-related apps that others have found good. I'm especially interested in finding apps that feature well-annotated editions of the plays, but there are doubtless other apps on other things I've never even thought about.

The only app I can at present recommend is one available (sadly) only for Apple devices. There is a free version, but only the $10 version offers up any annotations. The app contains all the works of Shakespeare (plays and sonnets); it even has the First Folio edition for each of the plays. The annotations are really nothing more than brief definitions for various obscure words and phrases; there are no explanatory footnotes for difficult or corrupt passages.

Here's a link to the app in the Apple store: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/shake...

message 2: by Tracey (new)

Tracey (stewartry) | 32 comments David Tennant worked on an app called Re:Shakespeare - I haven't gotten it yet, but want it with a deep want.

message 3: by DavidE (new)

DavidE (shaxton) | 358 comments Tracey wrote: "David Tennant worked on an app called Re:Shakespeare - I haven't gotten it yet, but want it with a deep want."

Thanks, Tracey. I downloaded the app this afternoon and have been playing around with it. It's very sophisticated, technologically, and it's got a lot of fun stuff in it, especially for students who find Shakespearean language difficult.

The app is free, by the way, at least it was on Google Play (for Android phones). It is, however, a very large app (about 700 MB, I believe). There's lots of video within the app.

One of the main games involves determining what this or that line means. Another, and sometimes better, source for this sort of thing is the Sporacle quiz site. Just search for 'Shakespeare in Plain English.' Or search for a given play title that way: 'Hamlet in Plain English.'

message 4: by Tracey (new)

Tracey (stewartry) | 32 comments I've just never made the jump to a smartphone - my phone is about as dumb (i.e. cheap) as they get. And I feel silly thinking about getting a better (i.e. more expensive) phone just to access apps ... even one full of David Tennant...

message 5: by DavidE (new)

DavidE (shaxton) | 358 comments Tracey wrote: "I've just never made the jump to a smartphone - my phone is about as dumb (i.e. cheap) as they get. And I feel silly thinking about getting a better (i.e. more expensive) phone just to access apps ..."

Well, I certainly wouldn't buy a smartphone only for this app. It's fun, but there's really not that much material on it. Also, David Tennant is on it for only about two minutes (he just introduces the other performers.)

message 6: by DavidE (new)

DavidE (shaxton) | 358 comments I just realized today that David Tennant plays Antipholus of Syracuse in the Arkangel (audio) production of The Comedy of Errors I've been listening to. He's lightyears better than anyone else in the cast, and I'm surprised I did not recognize his voice sooner.

https://www.amazon.com/Comedy-Errors-...

message 7: by Tracey (new)

Tracey (stewartry) | 32 comments David wrote: "It's fun, but there's really not that much material on it. Also, David Tennant is on it for only about two minutes ..."

Good to know. I thought he was more heavily involved.