Nora Roberts Groupies discussion

Come Sundown
This topic is about Come Sundown
Book Discussions > Come Sundown - June 2017 Book of the Month (Spoiler Zone)

Comments Showing 1-50 of 128 (128 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Sheery (last edited Feb 22, 2017 12:44PM) (new) - added it

Sheery (wwwgoodreadscomprofilesheery) | 675 comments Mod
Release date: May 30, 2017

On Nora's Facebook page they have revealed the cover for next years standalone release - Come Sundown. There's no cover for it here on GR yet and the release says June 2017. Go to her Facebook page if you'd like to see it:

https://www.facebook.com/noraroberts/

ETA: They released this information today in honor of it being Nora's birthday.

Jonetta found a description for the book and it sounds great!

The Bodine ranch and resort in western Montana is a family business, an idyllic spot for vacationers. A little over thirty thousand acres and home to four generations, it’s kept running by Bodine Longbow with the help of a large staff, including new hire Callen Skinner. There was another member of the family once: Bodine’s aunt, Alice, who ran off before Bodine was born. She never returned, and the Longbows don’t talk about her much. The younger ones, who never met her, quietly presume she’s dead. But she isn’t. She is not far away, part of a new family, one she never chose—and her mind has been shattered…

When a bartender leaves the resort late one night, and Bo and Cal discover her battered body in the snow, it’s the first sign that danger lurks in the mountains that surround them. The police suspect Cal, but Bo finds herself trusting him—and turning to him as another woman is murdered and the Longbows are stunned by Alice’s sudden reappearance. The twisted story she has to tell about the past—and the threat that follows in her wake—will test the bonds of this strong family, and thrust Bodine into a darkness she could never have imagined.

message 2: by Jonetta (last edited Jun 13, 2017 03:31PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jonetta (ejaygirl) | 5902 comments Mod
Setting
Western Montana

Table of Contents
Part One - A Journey
Prologue
Chapters One - Seven

Part Two - A Purpose
Chapters Eight - Fourteen

Part Three - A Sunset
Chapters Fifteen - Twenty Two

Part Four - A Return
Chapters Twenty Three - Thirty
Epilogue

Character List
(view spoiler)

Spoiler Info
(view spoiler)

message 3: by Sheery (new) - added it

Jonetta, we think alike, LOL I found a description of the book too and was just coming to add it. When I first began reading the description Montana Sky popped into my head and now I want to re-read that one. Thanks for adding the cover here!

Come Sundown sounds really good! Somewhere I was looking shows the release date as June 6th. I suppose that may change but for now that's in my head!

I thought of Montana Sky too! It's my most favorite standalone title.

(I followed the links on her Facebook page and all say June 6, 2017.)

Oh, feel free to copy the description into the first message and delete mine.

message 6: by Quynh (new) - added it

Quynh | 218 comments Yeah! Another one to look forward to. I also thought of Montana Sky, one of my favorites from Nora.

Nikki ♥ | 283 comments Can't wait for this one. Montana Sky is also a favorite of mine.

Here's the link to the first chapter!

Come Sundown - Chapter 1

message 9: by Anita (last edited Jan 09, 2017 08:49AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Anita (anitanodiva) | 1252 comments Not reading the chapter, not reading the blurb. Going to read this book without forming any preconceived opinion. I like to be surprised, especially by Nora Roberts. It came up for recommendation to my library today.

message 10: by Quynh (new) - added it

Quynh | 218 comments I don't read any blurbs or teaser chapters anymore. Mostly because it makes the wait even more excruciating lol. I rather just have it and read it all at once. :)

Same for me.

message 12: by Sheery (new) - added it

I read the blurb but I don't read teaser chapters anymore - for anyone. Somehow reading the teasers used to make the wait seem even longer.

Nora's publisher is giving away 500 Come Sundown tote bags in preparation for the book's release. You enter by joining Nora's mailing list. (FYI, they did something similar for the J. D. Robb recent release and good things happened to us by being on the mailing list.)

Here's the link:

http://us.macmillan.com/smp/promo/com...

message 14: by Quynh (new) - added it

Quynh | 218 comments Cool. Just entered!

message 15: by Sheery (new) - added it

Thanks for the heads up, Jonetta. Also, the release date is now listed as May 30, 2017

Ooh. Good to know.

message 17: by Margaret (new) - added it

Margaret L2010 (margaret_l2010) | 39 comments I pre order a kindle of the book

The audiobook has finally shown up in Audible. I just pre-ordered.

FYI, it's also on sale.

Maggie | 736 comments I just received an ARC copy of Come Sundown!! I'm so excited!!

Sandra Hoover (sandrahoover) | 186 comments Maggie wrote: "I just received an ARC copy of Come Sundown!! I'm so excited!!"

Very cool, Maggie! Enjoy!

Maggie wrote: "I just received an ARC copy of Come Sundown!! I'm so excited!!"

Hope you enjoy!

message 22: by Sheery (new) - added it

Maggie wrote: "I just received an ARC copy of Come Sundown!! I'm so excited!!"

Congratulations Maggie! Enjoy!

Maggie | 736 comments Thanks Sherry!

message 24: by Anita (last edited Apr 25, 2017 11:10AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Anita (anitanodiva) | 1252 comments Un-bloody-believable, I got one! I came home from grocery shopping and Come Sundown by Nora Roberts was waiting on my doorstep. Wow, I'm in shock. I'll start it today. Although this is a print copy, I'll take it. I also realize another reason why I've gone all e-book, the print is tiny.

message 25: by Dena (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dena (auntiedena72) I just received an ARC copy of this book. So excited! I had no idea I was even picked to get one until it came in the mail. Love surprises like that!

Sandra Hoover (sandrahoover) | 186 comments Congrats Anita & Dena! Those are the best kind of surprises! :)

message 27: by Sheery (new) - added it

Congratulations Anita and Deena! How exciting! Are your ARC's from GoodReads or St. Martin's Press? Just curious! Either way I hope you enjoy the book!

Oh, and Anita, I know what you mean about small type in the paper versions of books! I like the paper versions but I am leaning more and more toward e-books for this exact reason!

Lynnette Hartwig (69mustanglady) | 13 comments I just received an ARC myself. Starting it now.

Sheery wrote: "Congratulations Anita and Deena! How exciting! Are your ARC's from GoodReads or St. Martin's Press? Just curious! Either way I hope you enjoy the book!

Oh, and Anita, I know what you mean about sm..."

These are all from the publisher's ARC giveaway.

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 219 comments I got a copy too!! Mine is from St Martin's Press.

So glad you guys all posted that it just showed up...made my day!

Anita (anitanodiva) | 1252 comments NetGalley denied me. St. Martin's Press normally doesn't approve me. This ARC was from the giveaway, I'm sure.

Susan Netgalley made me wish for it and I've never had my wish granted.......I hope I have a surprise from UPS today.......

message 33: by Mara (new)

Mara Pemberton (marapem) | 61 comments Got my copy yesterday. I wasn't even expecting it.

Anita (anitanodiva) | 1252 comments The best surprises are the ones you aren't expecting. I was twitter-patted the whole day.

☘ Erin K ☘ | 27 comments I have to admit that I'm seriously underwhelmed by the cover for this book. It looks like some old book of hers that has been republished. It doesn't look like something fresh and new to me at all. Kind of a boring cover!

Just my humble opinion but this cover does nothing at all for me. Of course, I'll still snap it up and read it right away.

Anita (anitanodiva) | 1252 comments I so agree! This cover is one of the worst I've ever seen. For the longest time I thought it had to be a temp. For all the money St. Martin's Press is throwing at this release, they could have bought a better cover.

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 219 comments I agree too! They must be banking on the mostly white cover will stand out on the shelves among the many colorful and busy covers. Which will probably catch people's eye but may not entice them to actually buy it!

Could be they're working on a longer term brand for the NR books. Her change in publishers came pretty quickly, relatively speaking, and maybe they need more time to develop the creative strategies for the books going forward.

Time will tell.

Anita (anitanodiva) | 1252 comments Good point. All the covers of NR's romantic-suspense books are very individualized. They could very well be working on some sort of unifying theme going forward.

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 219 comments I am finally diving into the ARC of Come Sundown that I got! Yay! But....

The story is much darker than her other books (this is not a spoiler as it is set up in the first 25 pages) and I am not a huge fan of it. Perhaps I am just particularly adverse to the specific topic, but it is putting me off flying through large chunks of the book in a single sitting...

Yes, her stand-alone novels often have violence at the center of the story driving the "suspense" portion of the "romantic suspense," but this specific type of violence is a step too far for me from Nora.

I will still be finishing the book but I hope this topic/violence is not a new trend for her.

Anita (anitanodiva) | 1252 comments I understand what you mean about Alice's plot line. It is dark, hopeless and brutal. No way around that. The plot line of Bo and Cal and the Bodine's is more in line with NR's normal RS plot.

message 42: by Cathy (new) - added it

Cathy Skendrovich Nicole R wrote: "I am finally diving into the ARC of Come Sundown that I got! Yay! But....

The story is much darker than her other books (this is not a spoiler as it is set up in the first 25 pages..."

You said it better than I did in my review. This was not what I was looking for in a Nora Roberts suspense. It took me forever to read the book, also. Here's my review: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 219 comments Anita wrote: "I understand what you mean about Alice's plot line. It is dark, hopeless and brutal. No way around that. The plot line of Bo and Cal and the Bodine's is more in line with NR's normal RS plot."

Agree about Bo/Cal storyline. And I really enjoyed that aspect of it. Loved the brother's and their minor love stories, and the multi-generational family all living on the ranch.

Also, I adore Bo. I admit that I have been critical of some of Nora's more recent RS books that the female lead was not as ambitious as I would like her to be; that several of the recent leads have been on the run and working in very female stereotypical careers. Bo was everything I have been wanting in female lead from Nora, and even though the ranch aspect felt like a not-so-subtle-adaptation of Vows in the Bride Quartet, I ate it up.

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 219 comments Cathy wrote: "Nicole R wrote: "I am finally diving into the ARC of Come Sundown that I got! Yay! But....

The story is much darker than her other books (this is not a spoiler as it is set up in t..."

Cathy, I agree with your review that the added romance storylines felt like a trilogy all rolled into one book! I liked the supporting characters though, I just wanted more of them. Especially Jessie. She is my kind of character!

And you said that you knew who the "bad guy" was and I have no clue! I am almost done with the book though (will finish tonight) and am anxious to see who it is.

Ladies, FYI, we will open a discussion topic for this book in June as it will be our book of the month. Feel free to continue but just wanted you to be aware of the plan.

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 219 comments Jonetta wrote: "Ladies, FYI, we will open a discussion topic for this book in June as it will be our book of the month. Feel free to continue but just wanted you to be aware of the plan."

I am sure I will have more to talk about then too ;)

Anita (anitanodiva) | 1252 comments I HATED these career women running around a ranch in 3-inch heals. So sexist, as if the only way a career woman is feminine is if she is willing to destroy her feet.

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 219 comments Anita wrote: "I HATED these career women running around a ranch in 3-inch heals. So sexist, as if the only way a career woman is feminine is if she is willing to destroy her feet."

Wasn't Jessie the only one who wore heels and Bodine wore jeans and cowboy boots every day? And her signature vests!

It did not bother me, but maybe because I am that career woman who runs around in 3-inch heels every day so I could relate....On the flip side, I have been known to wear my boots to work events with a business dress so Bodine also did not seem out of place to me.

Talya | 729 comments Mod
Hey everyone, just a heads up, the Audible version has just been released!

Downloaded it this am!

« previous 1 3