Mixed Remixed Festival discussion

The Book of Dead Birds
This topic is about The Book of Dead Birds
November 2016 Book Pick: The Book of Dead Birds by Gayle Brandeis

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Heidi (heididurrow) | 51 comments Mod
Our inaugural book club discussion of Mat Johnson’s Loving Day was a big hit! Well, we’re excited to keep it going with our November read: Gayle Brandeis‘ The Book of Dead Birds which won the PEN/Bellwether Prize.

Join us for our on-line chat and call-in discussion on 11/10 at 6pm EASTERN/3pm PACIFIC. And guess what? We will have the author Gayle Brandeis on the line with us to answer your questions as well. You don’t want to miss this. Get a copy of The Book of Dead Birds now! And share your thoughts with our Goodreads Book Club Group in advance of our call next month!

message 2: by yiming (new) - added it

yiming | 3 comments I'm curious as to how the books are chosen? Also, does anyone know how Gayle Brandeis identifies?

Heidi wrote: "Our inaugural book club discussion of Mat Johnson’s Loving Day was a big hit! Well, we’re excited to keep it going with our November read: Gayle Brandeis‘ The Book of Dead Birds which won the PEN/B..."

Hi!
The team behind Mixed Remixed chooses the books and definitely welcome ideas from the group! We choose stories that deal with the mixed-race experience and don't choose based on the identification of the author. I hope you can join us for the discussion!
Heidi

message 4: by Jamie (new)

Jamie (mixedreader) | 5 comments Mod
Hi Everyone!! How's the reading going? Any favorite moments so far? Be sure to share them with us here, so we can talk about them!

Jamie wrote: "Hi Everyone!! How's the reading going? Any favorite moments so far? Be sure to share them with us here, so we can talk about them!"I love this line: "It was the first time I saw myself reflected in her body." p. 95 --Such a powerful thought that I think is essential to talking about being mixed-race. Shall we discuss?

message 6: by Mishaal (new)

Mishaal (mishaalbarrett) | 2 comments Hi all! I am behind on the last two reads due to graduate school. I am planning to catch up over the holiday break and my long flights across the U.S. and abroad in December/January! Will there be any other book discussions for the rest of this year?

message 7: by Michael (new)

Michael (plasticspoon) | 7 comments @Mishaal - I hope so. I haven't been able to keep up this time around either!
...mlm

message 8: by Lauren (new)

Lauren | 10 comments Hey guys! The book club will resume in January.

message 9: by Michael (new)

Michael (plasticspoon) | 7 comments Great, thx Lauren...mlm

message 10: by Mishaal (new)

Mishaal (mishaalbarrett) | 2 comments Thanks for the update! I look forward to the next read!

Hi Everyone! We're reading Passing by Nella Larsen next! We're excited to read Nella Larsen's Passing for our next on-line book club pick! Nella Larsen was a black/Danish writer of the Harlem Renaissance who was writing about issues of the Mixed experience way before her time. I have read the book at least a dozen times as has Jamie Moore. So please don't miss this discussion that we're planning for Feb. 5 at 4pm Pacific!

message 12: by Eve (new)

Eve Austin | 3 comments Hi Heidi, I'd like to put a link to this book club on my website. We might try to have an actual live local book group to enhance this virtual group. Would that be ok?
Thanks.
Eve
Center for the Mixed Voice
Baltimore

Eve wrote: "Hi Heidi, I'd like to put a link to this book club on my website. We might try to have an actual live local book group to enhance this virtual group. Would that be ok?
Thanks.
Eve
Center for the Mi..."

Do you know when you plan to meet?

message 14: by Eve (new)

Eve Austin | 3 comments No not sure yet. Wanted to get your answer first. Perhaps we could meet at the same time as the virtual club. Or, we could meet first and then people would be free to interact with virtual club on their own. I'm not even sure that I could get busy people to meet for this! But, I figured its' worth a try.

Here's the email I sent you thru goodreads in November: "Hopefully you'll remember me from my ill-fated plan to attend mixed remixed 2015. I never made south of SF bc my husband hurt his back there. Anyway, I'll still plugging away here at the Center for the Mixed Voice. (always open to creative dual-coast partnership possibilities). I'm working on my new website and would love to feature a link to this virtual book group. I've been thinking about starting a book group at the Center, and this could be a cool way to do that. Would you be ok with that? Do you know how I would go about it getting that started?"

Thanks Heidi.