What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > Fairy tale, cousins or siblings travel to magical world in the woods

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kacy (new)

Kacy 111 | 6 comments I can't remember much, i read it when i was young. But a bunch of kids live in this cabin in the country with their parents i think? Or they were forced to stay there with an aunt of something for vacation. Anyways, their cousins come to visit i think, one of the children is a dark haired boy whose a brat and another is a young girl who is treated like a child/baby and not taken seriously. They hang out in the trees, swinging from them, and then suddenly decide to venture off into the forest, their they see a parade of fairies go buy, and are warned not to be spotted but i think dark haired boy is and is sucked up into the fairy world, the children attempt to find him and escape. Sound very similar to Narnia now that i think about it, but it's not. A beginning scene talks about the mother answering the phone and they know its something serious because when the mom gets mad her voice gets very quiet and polite.

message 2: by Kacy (new)

Kacy 111 | 6 comments the cover was black vines with silhouettes of children and fairies in it

message 3: by Kelly (new)

Kelly (khek) | 270 comments Maybe Pamela Dean's The Secret Country?

message 4: by Jamie (new)

Jamie Dacyczyn (readsintrees) | 264 comments Not sure of the book, but it sounds like a possible retelling of the fairy tale "Tam Lin". Check the list of adaptations and see if any of them ring a bell.

You also didn't say what year you read it.

message 5: by Elias (new)

Elias (iamnotthrowingawaymyshot) | 78 comments I'm going to second The Secret Country.

message 6: by Kris (last edited Oct 22, 2016 02:14PM) (new)

Kris | 34447 comments Mod
The Secret Country by Pamela Dean - Kelly and Elias' suggestion

Jamie suggested Tam Lin retellings. Here are some lists:
https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/1...
https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/1...

message 7: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 38241 comments Mod
Kacy, are you still looking for this or did you find it?

message 8: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 16917 comments Still out there, Kacy?

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Secret Country (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Pamela Dean (other topics)