A Good Thriller discussion

PIFM - Archive > PIFM - Chat/Banter/Review Your November Read

Comments Showing 1-50 of 95 (95 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Janet , Moderator (new)

Janet  | 5752 comments Mod
This thread is where you can chat about all things PIFM, ask questions and once books have been read, review your selected reads. A complete free for all.

PLEASE NOTE:

PIFM is meant to be FUN and not to be taken seriously. I would appreciate it if all participants just chilled and not get worked up about voting, who votes, who doesn't, etc. Please bear in mind that some will just want to vote, many don't come on everyday and most of us have time constraints. I just want a relaxed approach to it all and for you all to just enjoy the process! I'd really appreciate your courtesy in this matter. Thanks.

message 2: by Perri (new)

Perri No wonder metal is the last category for me to fill for this challenge-I really had to go searching for some books. It looks like this will be the only group challenge I'll complete this year!

message 3: by Patricia (new)

Patricia Bergman (marshop) | 1120 comments Hey Perri -

These challenges force us to read books we would probably ignore. I have been participating in the popsugar challenge and have read some pretty good books so far.

message 4: by Perri (new)

Perri Patricia wrote: "Hey Perri -

These challenges force us to read books we would probably ignore. I have been participating in the popsugar challenge and have read some pretty good books so far."

That's so true-one reason I like book clubs. What are few really good books you've discovered?

message 5: by Patricia (last edited Oct 10, 2016 10:25PM) (new)

Patricia Bergman (marshop) | 1120 comments I am reading a book to meet the category of "A road trip". It is probably one of the more entertaining books I've read this year - Harry Truman's Excellent Adventure The True Story of a Great American Road Trip by Matthew Algeo . He was quite a character.

By the way, what challenge are you in?

message 6: by Sophie (new)

Sophie | 1067 comments I've forgotten all about my popsugar challenge recently because I've been involved in a team challenge since about June which has been monopolising all my reading time.
Perri - if you haven't read it before, The Golden Compass (His Dark Materials, #1) by Philip Pullman by Phillip Pullman is a brilliant read and would fit with your metal theme...

I can't believe we're posting our November lists already - where has the year gone?!!

message 7: by Janet , Moderator (new)

Janet  | 5752 comments Mod
Indeed, Sophie! Where has the year gone?!! Just zooming by! :-\

message 8: by Perri (new)

Perri Patricia, I'm doing the group challenge posted by Sean. I"m also in some A-Z title challenge, but that's not going to happen. I added your Roadtrip book-looks so fun!

Thanks Sophie, I have read The Golden Compass and agree that it's wonderful. Made me wish I had a daemon :)

message 9: by Amber (new)

Amber Martingale Station X in lead with three votes.

message 10: by Sean, Moderator (new)

Sean Peters | 9517 comments Mod
Will add my votes later next week, as away for 4-5 days, from tomorrow.

message 11: by Agnieszka (last edited Oct 15, 2016 01:56PM) (new)

Agnieszka (agnieszka7) | 1424 comments Perri,
I wasn't aware Herbert Ross was writting books - I was convinced it was an original movie - that's how you can be wrong :-)

BTW: I'm still considering to read Silver and Gold (Angel Paws) by Jordan Taylor for the same challenge if I won't finish any of my other books I have on my list for this category (view spoiler)

Sophie,
once again, I can't decide between The Butterfly Garden & My Girl - as usual you'll get the vote within the next ten days :-)

Dana,
The Best Kind of People & Free of Malice look both great - how about both ;-)
I wanted to set The Best Kind of People on my watchlist and you don't get even the paperback in Germany grrrrrrrr

message 12: by Perri (new)

Perri Agninieszka, Silver and Gold is only 30 pages...so tempting!

Vicki, how do you find all these new and interesting books?

message 13: by Amy (new)

Amy (thenikitagirl) | 653 comments Hi Ladies and Gent, (Sean), how come more men don't participate here :(

Missed you guys so much. I've been ridiculously behind on my reading as I was away for eight weeks. Really thought I'd get more reading done but was too busy all the time. I didn't feel it was right to participate the last two months since I was behind, but I have missed you folks greatly. Just finished my August read (Dead Scared, SO GOOD) and am intending to finish my July one now that I am back home and can read it. (The Help, was loving it!)

Just posted my list for November and will be back later tonight or afternoon to post my votes for everyone else. Hope you all had a great start to your fall season and have had some great reads the last couple of months. If I get a chance maybe I'll skim them and see what everyone has been up to with their reads.

Love all of you!

message 14: by Agnieszka (last edited Oct 16, 2016 01:38PM) (new)

Agnieszka (agnieszka7) | 1424 comments Perri wrote: "Agninieszka, Silver and Gold is only 30 pages...so tempting!"

Why do you think it's my back-up book for this category? If I'm not finished with any of the other books until Christmas I'll read this one :-)

Amy wrote: "Hi Ladies and Gent, (Sean), how come more men don't participate here :(
...I didn't feel it was right to participate the last two months since I was behind, but I have missed you folks greatly."

I asked this question as well and David was the only one that answered at all - and between Dexter and his next book he's a good reason for not having time for anything :-) And we are glad you are back and there's no need to feel bad about beeing behind - I'm sure you're not the only one.

message 15: by Dana (new)

Dana (dkmckelvey) | 584 comments Agnieszka - that's too bad! I think it is new here too, as it is nominated for one of Canada's top prizes. I'll let you know how it is :)

Amy - glad to have you back as well and glad you are enjoying The Help. One of my all-time favorites!

message 16: by Dana (new)

Dana (dkmckelvey) | 584 comments Also Patricia - don't forget to vote for mine :)

message 17: by Amber (new)

Amber Martingale Station X still in lead. now with 5 votes.

message 18: by Patricia (new)

Patricia Bergman (marshop) | 1120 comments Geez, Dana, I'm sorry. For some reason I skipped you. I've now voted although it was a challenge. I loved The Glass Castle but All The Missing Girls sounds really good too.

message 19: by Amber (new)

Amber Martingale The French Chef by Julia Child is in 2nd place. *sigh* With exactly ONE vote.

message 20: by Mandy (new)

Mandy (penn_y_lane) | 554 comments I have a leader now Fool Me Once by Harlan Coben by Harlen Coben

message 21: by Agnieszka (new)

Agnieszka (agnieszka7) | 1424 comments Dana wrote: "Agnieszka - that's too bad! I think it is new here too, as it is nominated for one of Canada's top prizes. I'll let you know how it is :)"

If it's new, than there's hope! And I hope it wins - it really sounds like a great book!

message 22: by Perri (new)

Perri Patricia wrote: "Geez, Dana, I'm sorry. For some reason I skipped you. I've now voted although it was a challenge. I loved The Glass Castle but All The Missing Girls sounds really good too."

I really like All The Missing Girls too (4 stars) but gave Glass Castle 5. No wonder they are tied,though

message 23: by Sophie (new)

Sophie | 1067 comments Mandy wrote: "I have a leader now Fool Me Once by Harlan Coben by Harlen Coben"

I really want to read his new one Home. It looks so good.

message 24: by Mandy (new)

Mandy (penn_y_lane) | 554 comments Sophie wrote: "Mandy wrote: "I have a leader now Fool Me Once by Harlan Coben by Harlen Coben"

I really want to read his new one Home. It looks so good."

Oh I've not seen that one, but I've only read the first one in that series so far, so a long way to go yet lol

message 25: by Dana (new)

Dana (dkmckelvey) | 584 comments Perri wrote: "Patricia wrote: "Geez, Dana, I'm sorry. For some reason I skipped you. I've now voted although it was a challenge. I loved The Glass Castle but All The Missing Girls sounds really good too."

I rea..."

I don't think I'll lose with either of them then! Hopefully some more people come in to add more votes though... The reason I wanted to read Glass Castle is they are making it a movie next year :)

message 26: by Vicki Willis (new)

Vicki Willis | 927 comments Sophie wrote: "Mandy wrote: "I have a leader now Fool Me Once by Harlan Coben by Harlen Coben"

I really want to read his new one Home. It looks so good."

I love everything by him. I have Home and it is next on my reading list. I just like Myron Bolitar. It is one my teenage sons will read too.

message 27: by Vicki Willis (last edited Oct 18, 2016 06:42PM) (new)

Vicki Willis | 927 comments
Vicki, how do you find all these new and interesting books?"

@Perri
I have Amazon Prime and every month they have something called Kindle First. It is an offering of 6 soon to be published books and I get one for free. They have a great assortment, usually of authors that are new to me. Sometimes I add the others to my TBR even when I don't get the book for free!

message 28: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) | 8109 comments Wow... I haven't even done anything yet for November!!

message 29: by Sean, Moderator (new)

Sean Peters | 9517 comments Mod
Good question Amy, but thanks for calling me a gent !

I keep working on it.

message 30: by Amber (new)

Amber Martingale The Dalai Lama book is in 2nd place with 2 votes.

message 31: by Perri (new)

Perri @Vicki, Do you pay extra to get those choices?

@ Kirsten, Now all my books have a vote. Better late than never :)

message 32: by Robyn (new)

Robyn Graham (wwwgoodreadscomrobyngraham) | 17 comments " I finally got time to sit down with " Girl on the Train"

It read some criticism before I read the novel. I was influenced and expected it to be hard to follow. It was clear.
It was told from a first person perspective of several characters. Yet, It was still good. Also it held my attention with a minimal amount of death and distraction. It had the feeling of an old fashion, who did it.

message 33: by Vicki Willis (new)

Vicki Willis | 927 comments Perri wrote: "@Vicki, Do you pay extra to get those choices?"

@ Perri
Yes, it is a yearly subscription to Amazon called Amazon Prime. With prime you get benefits such as free 2 day shipping when you order merchandise from amazon (which is why I originally got it), thousands of free movies and tv shows, thousands of free songs and music playlists, a free lending library for kindle and free first release books on a monthly basis. I think it costs me $79 per year, but for me it pays for itself many times over throughout the year.
I know I sound like I work for Amazon (I don't), but I LOVE Prime and couldn't live without it.

message 34: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) | 8109 comments I love Prime too. Especially with my Kindle Fire where I can watch all those different shows. And there's some good music features.

Kindle Unlimited is a good side too, but separate from Prime.

message 35: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) | 8109 comments Thanks to those of you who voted on my (late) list. I have a 4-way tie. Please vote if you haven't!

message 36: by Amy (new)

Amy (thenikitagirl) | 653 comments I broke the tie so far, Kirsten! ;)

message 37: by Agnieszka (last edited Oct 25, 2016 03:50PM) (new)

Agnieszka (agnieszka7) | 1424 comments Kirsten, you forgot my vote for Mr. Churchill's Secretary :-)

Sophie & Dana,
I voted for your books. No change for Dana's books but it looks like my vote was the tie-breaker for Sophies 3-way tie:
Sophie - My Girl
Dana - Free of Malice

message 38: by Amy (new)

Amy (thenikitagirl) | 653 comments Looks like it's going to be The Killer for me unless any more votes come in...

message 39: by Perri (new)

Perri Iron House for me, already ordered from the library

message 40: by Amber (new)

Amber Martingale I haven't even checked the votes recently, but I'm closing my list tomorrow.

message 41: by Patricia (new)

Patricia Bergman (marshop) | 1120 comments I wonder if the Holiday season limits participation. No holiday will stop my reading obsession.

message 42: by Amber (last edited Oct 29, 2016 09:54AM) (new)

Amber Martingale It's a distinct possibility, Patricia.

Station X, my #1 vote will have to be ordered through Inter Library Loan, but my #2, My Spiritual Journey by the XIVth Dalai Lama, is ordered already.

message 43: by Amber (new)

Amber Martingale Just found out that my library canlt get my #1 through Interlibrary Loan because ILL doesnlt recognize that title. Will select a new book.

message 44: by Ann (new)

Ann Girdharry (anngirdharry) | 317 comments hello everyone, it's my first time on PIFM and it's exciting taking part!

I'm wondering about the different ways people select a book for somebody else? I've stuck with going for ones which I'd like to read myself or that I've read and liked.

Anyone like to share?

message 45: by Perri (new)

Perri Ann wrote: "hello everyone, it's my first time on PIFM and it's exciting taking part!

I'm wondering about the different ways people select a book for somebody else? I've stuck with going for ones which I'd l..."

Hi Ann, Welcome! I do select ones I'd like to read or think or wonderful (in your case I Am Pilgrim :) I often look at the book review to see what other friends thought of it and sometimes end up adding it to my TBR list. If all else fails, I choose my best cover or title!

message 46: by Agnieszka (new)

Agnieszka (agnieszka7) | 1424 comments Ann wrote: "hello everyone, it's my first time on PIFM and it's exciting taking part!

I'm wondering about the different ways people select a book for somebody else? I've stuck with going for ones which I'd l..."

If I have a major monthly challenge with a given topic in any of my groups - I'll try to allign all my books that month and pick also here those e.g. usually the May topic is some kind of 'folks in uniform' or in December I'll look for suspensful Christmas books.
October and November I just try to see if there are any books I want/should urgently read before the end of the year and put those on my list. All the other months I just look what kind of suspensful books I'm just in mood for mostly some kind of RS, cozy-mystery, and thrillers usually espionage, technology stuff, military or anything with much action/fast paced - psychological thrillers most of the ladies here love so much, you'll find only rarely on my list since I'm seldom able to deal with those :-)

Though back to your question: until I get a feeling for the book tastes of the people - I just choose from their list those I would like to read most. As soon as I get a feeling for the preferences of the other PIFM-buddies I try to choose the title I think they like most or if those include horror or PN stuff only just random (either those the covers looks least carry to my or what catches my eye) - since I don't read those and have no idea what's really good.
Sometimes I just can't decide and wait until last week of the month and see if any of the books I narrowed it down to - can help brake a tie or has no votes at all - so I don't create a tie at the last moment.

message 47: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) | 8109 comments I want to apologize for not doublechecking until today. If anyone needs a tiebreaker vote, let me know. Thanks for the votes for me!

message 48: by Ann (new)

Ann Girdharry (anngirdharry) | 317 comments Hi all, Amber just let me know that I'm too late to take part this time around. Hope to join you another time...

message 49: by Amber (new)

Amber Martingale You can probably join in the voting for next month's books as soon as Janet gets the threads up.

message 50: by Perri (new)

Perri Ann wrote: "Hi all, Amber just let me know that I'm too late to take part this time around. Hope to join you another time..."

I think Amber means the votes and banter die down at the end of the month, so you'll get more responses when the December thread goes up. Hope you'll join us then. Oh, and I Am Pilgrim! :)

« previous 1