Dewey's 24 Hour Read-a-Thon discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archived Threads > Sytske her first readathon (with her frog kikker)

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sytske (new)

Sytske Van Der Sluis | 14 comments Not sure whether I'm going to post anything here, or participate in any challenges. But better safe then sorry ;-) I might just stick to annoying my friends with facebook posts during the day.
But opening a topic is a good way to make it easier to participate in this way if I do feel like it.

message 2: by Sytske (last edited Oct 16, 2016 05:04AM) (new)

Sytske Van Der Sluis | 14 comments Sytske wrote: "Not sure whether I'm going to post anything here, or participate in any challenges. But better safe then sorry ;-) I might just stick to annoying my friends with facebook posts during the day.
But ..."

Books I have on my pile of options to read:
As a co-read:
On the Edge of Gone by Corinne Duyvis
Books that fit in my frog theme:
Science Fair by Dave Barry Enchanted (Woodcutter Sisters #1; Books of Arilland #1) by Alethea Kontis Meester Kikker by Paul van Loon Het lot van de kikker by Toon Tellegen Wayside School Gets A Little Stranger (Wayside School #3) by Louis Sachar The Frog Princess (Tales of the Frog Princess, #1) by E.D. Baker
Some audio books in frog theme:
Meester Kikker by Paul van Loon James and the Giant Peach by Hal Leonard Publishing Company
And a few non-fiction, also with frogs:
Stilzitten als een kikker by Eline Snel De eigenwijze kikker by Hilde Van Bulck Ik bof dat ik een kikker ben (schrijversprentenboek 50) by Joke Linders

And a still to become bigger pile of children's picture books for easy reads in between.
Among others the "kikker" series by Max Velthuijs
And the "kikker en pad" series by Arnold Lobel

message 3: by Kate (new)

Kate (kathrynlouwca) | 707 comments Sytske wrote: "Not sure whether I'm going to post anything here, or participate in any challenges. But better safe then sorry ;-) I might just stick to annoying my friends with facebook posts during the day.
But ..."

You know there is a facebook group too, right? I hope that you will keep us updated there as to what you're reading. :)

message 4: by Sytske (new)

Sytske Van Der Sluis | 14 comments I'm in the facebookgroup as well, but this sounds as a good excuse to do poke my friends.

message 5: by Ann A (new)

Ann A (readerann) | 494 comments I'm chuckling at your frog theme - love it!

I knew a woman named Sytske years ago. Such a pretty name. And I even know how to pronounce it correctly!

Good luck with the RAT :)

message 6: by Sytske (last edited Oct 22, 2016 04:42AM) (new)

Sytske Van Der Sluis | 14 comments 1) What fine part of the world are you reading from today?
I'm reading from the Netherlands

2) Which book in your stack are you most looking forward to?
On the edge of gone, love the idea of a co-read

3) Which snack are you most looking forward to?
Mint M&Ms, they are not easily obtainable in the Netherlands, and rather pricey. But they are green, so I had to have them...
And the hot frogs from Roald Dahl's Revolting Recipes, I've wanted to make them since I got the book about 20 years ago, but never got around to doing it...

4) Tell us a little something about yourself!
I love baking cakes, I have a few cupcakes baked for today, but life got in the way of decorating them.

5) If you participated in the last read-a-thon, what’s one thing you’ll do different today? If this is your first read-a-thon, what are you most looking forward to?
I have no clue, I wil just let the day unfold.

Now I'll be back to all the prep I wanted to do yesterday but didn't manage to do. Exited to start for real in 20 minutes...

message 7: by Sytske (new)

Sytske Van Der Sluis | 14 comments My frog kikker will do picture updates during the day...
https://www.facebook.com/Kikker.van.s...

message 8: by Sytske (new)

Sytske Van Der Sluis | 14 comments A quick reading update:
I'm at page 141 of this book, still hooked but needed a quick distraction.
On the Edge of Gone by Corinne Duyvis
So I did a short read in between:
The Tale of Mr. Jeremy Fisher by Beatrix Potter

Now time to get some diner in in between listening to some kikker stories by max velthuijs and packing my bag to head over to my sister for our museum trip tomorrow...

Robin (Saturndoo) (robinsaturndoo) Go Reader Go!!!! Hope you are enjoying all of your books.

Keep reading and have fun :)

message 10: by Sytske (new)

Sytske Van Der Sluis | 14 comments 1. What are you reading right now?
I'm on the last pages of On the Edge of Gone

2. How many books have you read so far?
Almost 1 (and a short children's picture book)

3. What book are you most looking forward to for the second half of the Read-a-thon?
Hoping to do some reading of Meester Kikker to my niece and nephew on my over to a day at the museum.

4. Have you had many interruptions? How did you deal with those?
I took short breaks every hour and decided on participating in sister talk since we don't have many opportunities to do so. Continuing reading in bed was a blast but maybe not the best wisest choice...

5. What surprises you most about the Read-a-thon, so far?
How much I enjoin the side things. Updating kikkers facebook during the day. Looking for kikker books and snacks. Even though I only read a childrens kikker book up til now and wont be reading much during the second half (because of sleeping and museum day with my niece and nephew)

message 11: by Sytske (new)

Sytske Van Der Sluis | 14 comments I was so captured by on the edge of gone that I just finished it. Now I really have to go sleep, since some little kids will want to me to be out off bed in about 6 hours...

message 12: by Sytske (new)

Sytske Van Der Sluis | 14 comments Back to reading.
A few short filosofical stories from Het lot van de kikker by Toon Tellegen

message 13: by Sytske (new)

Sytske Van Der Sluis | 14 comments I almost finished Wayside School Gets A Little Stranger (Wayside School #3) by Louis Sachar on the way over to the museum. So now I'll have to stop :-(
Had huge fun participating!

message 14: by Sytske (new)

Sytske Van Der Sluis | 14 comments Which hour was most daunting for you?
Hour 8 when I chose for needed sister talk opposed to reading a book.

Could you list a few high-interest books that you think could keep a Reader engaged for next year?
On the edge if gone definitely

Do you have any suggestions for how to improve the Read-a-thon next season?
Not really

What do you think worked really well in this year’s Read-a-thon?
I love the pre readathon preparation fun on here and on facebook

How many books did you read?
2 books and a few shortish stories

What were the names of the books you read?
On the edge of gone.
Wayside school gets even stranger
Mr Jeremy Fisher
Het lot van de kikker

Which book did you enjoy most?
On the edge if gone

Which did you enjoy least?
None really

How likely are you to participate in the Read-a-thon again? What role would you be likely to take next time?
Very likely as a reader again.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.