Omnibus/OHC Graphic Novel Collectors discussion

Comic Reading Discussion > Recommendations - any publisher!

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lee (new)

Lee | 20 comments Hi all,

I have recently finished readng Remender's Uncanny X-Force, and like many I absolutely loved it! Along with Hickman's FF and Secret Warriors, it has to rank as one of my favorite runs.

I was wondering if anyone had any other recommendations along similar lines. I.e. long-format, over-the-top, larger than life stories, possibly with a hint of Sci-Fi thrown in?

Doesn't have to be a hugely long run, and any publisher is fine. A couple of runs I have been thinking might fit the bill are the War of Kings saga (when all omnibuses are released) and Hickman's Avengers, but I would love to find out about any others I might not know about!

Thanks!

The Lion's Share Daredevil by Brian bendis.
Daredevil by brubaker
Alias by Bendis

BPRD PLAGUE of frogs by Mignola
Mind MGMT By Matt Kindt

Irredeemable by Waid

Locke and key by Joe Hill

Preacher by Garth Ennis

The Lion's Share And sixth fun by Cullen bunn

The Lion's Share *sixth gun

message 5: by Ronny (new)

Ronny Trøjborg | 63 comments Yeah, sixth gun is alot of fun, Bunn at his best.

X-O manowar from Valiant is pretty good as well, it has it all.. good amount of issues, Sci-fi, action, Nice art and a cool little crossover event in "Armor Hunters".. collected in Nice oversized deluxe hardcover editions.. ;) vol 1, vol 2 and the Armor Hunters book.. but dont get vol 3 as the issues in this vol. is All collected in the Armor Hunters one.

message 6: by Ronny (new)

Ronny Trøjborg | 63 comments Yeah, sixth gun is alot of fun, Bunn at his best.

X-O manowar from Valiant is pretty good as well, it has it all.. good amount of issues, Sci-fi, action, Nice art and a cool little crossover event in "Armor Hunters".. collected in Nice oversized deluxe hardcover editions.. ;) vol 1, vol 2 and the Armor Hunters book.. but dont get vol 3 as the issues in this vol. is All collected in the Armor Hunters one.

message 7: by Donovan (new)

Donovan | 1154 comments Two runs I'm in the middle of... Morrison's New X-Men and Hickman's Fantastic Four. Hickman's Manhattan Projects is also really cool. A miniseries, Morrison's Multiversity. Jason Aaron's Doctor Strange is awesome.

message 8: by Lee (new)

Lee | 20 comments Thanks a lot for all the replies so far. I'd never heard of Irredeemable or Sixth Gun and they both look great, so I'll check them out.

Also Multiversity is one I had wondered about, as I do like a lot of Morrison's stuff (esp New X-Men), but I had heard it was a bit out there and wasn't sure. As for Doctor Strange, I'm just not a fan of Bachalo's art, and it just puts me off.

message 9: by Relstuart, Mod+ (new)

Relstuart | 2822 comments Mod
Remender's Black Science has more than a hint of Sci-Fi along with his Fear Agent, which is possibly the best thing he's ever written. Black Science is ongoing and has one oversize hardcover out. Fear Agent is collected in two Library Editions from Dark Horse Comics. I expect we will see Remender's LOW and Tokyo Ghost get hardcovers this next year. He recently started a new series called Seven to Eternity that looks fantastic. We won't see a hardcover for probably over a year. I'm planning on picking up the first TPB early next year.

If you liked Hickman's Fantastic Four and his Secret Warriors his Avengers run is a no-brainer for something else you will probably enjoy. He is also writing a creator owned book called East of West with a one hardback out and another set to come our next year. The art is pretty good and I am hoping it all comes together in usual Hickman fashion towards the end.

If you are open to something fairly short (and inexpensive) Millar's Starlight was a fun sci-fi story.

Lazarus by Rucka is another series that has a decent amount of fans that has some sci-fi elements (two oversize books out, ongoing).

Descender is an ongoing series that is really good, one of the best things coming out of Image comics right now IMHO. Birthright is probably my second favorite thing (fantasy more than sci-fi).

message 10: by Lee (new)

Lee | 20 comments Thanks so much Relstuart!

I have been looking into Remender's other work after reading UXF and had thought about picking up Fear Agent. If it's as good as you say then I will definitely get it!

I have Black Science TPB1 and thought it was pretty good, but it didn't blow me away. I liked it enough though that I will probably get the other TPBs as I heard the HC was poorly done.

Lazarus is another I had an eye on, might check it out. I enjoyed Rucka's Wolverine book.

Descender, Starlight and Birthright are new to me so will take a look. Fantasy is fine with me too, I guess I just haven't read as many Fantasy graphic novels as SciFi ones, more "regular" fantasy novels..

message 11: by The Lion's Share (new)

The Lion's Share I didn't rate Lazarus but starlight and descender are very good.

message 12: by Ronny (new)

Ronny Trøjborg | 63 comments Descender is so much fun.. and the art by Dustin Nguyen is just amazing!

message 13: by Blindzider, Moderator (new)

Blindzider | 3140 comments Mod
I would also include both Fear Agent and Black Science for some sci-fi.

For something that has just about everything I recommend Planetary by Ellis/Cassaday.
For sci-fi/superhero/crime/mystery, try Top Ten by Moore/Ha.

Those last two are on my all-time favorite list.

Welcome!

message 14: by Eric (new)

Eric Harmon | 11 comments Two of my current favorite titles right now are Manifest Destiny from Image and Letter 44 from Oni Press. MD is beautiful and the story of Lewis and Clark as they discover the New World (if the New World was the Twilight Zone...) no plans for a Deluxe Edition HC thou it is perfectly suited for the format.
Letter 44 is straight sci-fi and one of the best stories I've read this year so far as the new President elect discovers what's really going on! Aliens, conspiracies and a baby!

message 15: by Reece (new)

Reece (mrrallentando) | 309 comments I love Manifest Destiny. I've gotten away from buying single issues in favor of waiting for collected editions, so it's been more than a year since I've read the series. I'd totally be onboard for a deluxe edition. Great story, great art.

message 16: by The Lion's Share (new)

The Lion's Share I'm also a fan of MD, and I'm also waiting for the deluxe.

message 17: by Lee (new)

Lee | 20 comments Just wanted to say thanks for the Fear Agent recommendation. I have just (right now) finished the main story and I absolutely loved it! I'll read the Tales of the Fear Agent later. Now on to some of the other books mentioned! thanks again.

message 18: by Blindzider, Moderator (new)

Blindzider | 3140 comments Mod
Lee wrote: "Just wanted to say thanks for the Fear Agent recommendation. I have just (right now) finished the main story and I absolutely loved it! I'll read the Tales of the Fear Agent later. Now on to some o..."

Glad to hear you liked it! At some point I'm going to reread that...

message 19: by Relstuart, Mod+ (last edited Feb 27, 2017 07:19AM) (new)

Relstuart | 2822 comments Mod
Glad you liked Fear Agent as well. I just got one of my good friends to read it and he really liked it. It's always nice when your friends enjoy things you really enjoy. :)

message 20: by Donovan (new)

Donovan | 1154 comments I also just got into FA and it's awesome. Have read and own Library 1 with 2 on its way!

message 21: by Eric (new)

Eric Harmon | 11 comments If you love the work of Greg Rucka you must own Queen and Country Definitive Editions there are 4 total.
https://goo.gl/images/CWW2YN

message 22: by Lee (new)

Lee | 20 comments Donovan wrote: "I also just got into FA and it's awesome. Have read and own Library 1 with 2 on its way!"

Well I really enjoyed volume 1, but volume 2 was even better. I'm jealous that you still have it to come!

message 23: by Donovan (new)

Donovan | 1154 comments Yeah me too! Gotta get through Fatale Deluxe 1 and 2 first. I hate my life : )

message 24: by Erik, Moderator (new)

Eastham Erik (erikakasash501) | 819 comments Mod
Anyone know of or if a upcoming release for Grendel in HC format? All I can find are TPBs and a few small HC.

I'd love an omnibus or HC DLX