CanadianContent discussion

Archives 2016 > Holiday Book Exchange

Comments Showing 1-50 of 255 (255 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6

message 1: by ❀ Susan (new)

❀ Susan G (susanayearofbooksblogcom) | 4278 comments Mod
Here is a place to discuss a holiday book exchange - thanks to @Allison and @Natasha for suggesting and volunteering to coordinate!!

message 2: by Mj (new)

Mj | 1195 comments Is this IN ADDITION TO the gift exchange between those who completed their Bingo Card?

I sort of remember reading about the Bingo book exchange in July and it was part of the reason I officially joined - for the motivation and discussion exchanges to "finally" complete my Bingo Card.

message 3: by Allison (new)

Allison | 2267 comments Good question, MJ!

Yes, I think this is separate, and of course, completely voluntary!

Last year we conducted a holiday book exchange, and so many people loved it that some of us thought we should offer it again this year in this group. @Natasha and I offered to organize it, and we will.

The BINGO book exchange came from the loss of the old group. There was to be a "prize" to finish up that challenge, and so people here were brainstorming on how we could keep that aspect of the challenge. I don't know if there was any final decision on that. There was talk of a volunteer mailing of books, but I don't know if that was ever fundamentally resolved...

message 4: by Wanda (last edited Oct 10, 2016 05:01PM) (new)

Wanda | 608 comments I enjoyed the holiday book exchange last year via the other group and would like to participate again this year. Count me in! In the spirit of our group, should we consider sharing books that are written by Canadian authors? Just a suggestion...

message 5: by Mj (new)

Mj | 1195 comments @ Allison - thanks for clarifying.

message 6: by Megan (new)

Megan  | 628 comments This was a lot of fun last year, can't wait for round 2! :)

message 7: by Rainey (new)

Rainey | 832 comments me too

message 8: by Allison (last edited Oct 13, 2016 06:17AM) (new)

Allison | 2267 comments Natasha and I are just working out the details through private message, and once it's all worked out, I'll post here with instructions. Soon! We are excited! :)

But basically, you're given the name and address of someone here (this is entirely voluntary) and by a December date you'll mail that person a book of your choosing. We also keep identities secret until a reveal date.

More details to come!

message 9: by ❀ Susan (new)

Sounds exciting!!! Thanks to you both for taking this on!!

message 10: by Megan (new)

Megan  | 628 comments @Allison and @Natasha, thanks for running with this. I know it's a lot of work so please know that we appreciate you guys!

message 11: by Shannon (new)

Shannon White | 288 comments I am totally in again this year. :)

So glad that @Allison and @Natasha have taken up the reigns! Thank you!

message 12: by Rainey (new)

Rainey | 832 comments Shannon wrote: "I am totally in again this year. :)

So glad that @Allison and @Natasha have taken up the reigns! Thank you!"

Also Natasha and Allison when you send the members address please include your own so those of us who want to show our appreciation can.

message 13: by Allison (new)

Allison | 2267 comments Rainey wrote: "Also Natasha and Allison when you send the members address please include your own so those of us who want to show our appreciation can...."

Oh my goodness, that's not necessary! I hope we won't let you all down once you realize how low-key this is! It's really not that much burden. Really! But thank you, everyone!

message 14: by Natasha (new)

Natasha Penney | 787 comments @Allison @Rainey What Allison said! Thanks everyone, but we're doing this for collective enjoyment and appreciation of the wonderful community we've found here that @Susan has graciously expanded to accommodate us all. My address will be included, but so I can be an equal participant. We're excited about this exchange, and like @Allison, I hope you all enjoy it as well.

Allison ༻hikes the bookwoods༺ (allisonhikesthebookwoods) | 2056 comments I definitely want to participate if this is the place to officially sign up!

message 16: by Louise (new)

Louise | 1585 comments Me too!

message 17: by Emmkay (new)

Emmkay | 383 comments I'm in! So fun :-)

message 18: by Allison (new)

Allison | 2267 comments Okay great! Glad to see the enthusiasm! It really was fun last year... :)

I'll post something next week for sign up and instructions.

message 19: by ✿✿✿May (new)

✿✿✿May  | 990 comments I had fun last year, so please count me in for this year, thanks!

message 20: by Allison (last edited Oct 17, 2016 10:26AM) (new)

Allison | 2267 comments Well, folks, Natasha and I are just too excited to wait any longer...

So here we officially launch the 2016 Annual (yeah, that's right, we're doing this again!) Holiday Book Exchange!

It's pretty simple, like a "Secret Santa" exchange, if anyone's done one of those. And it's completely voluntary, of course. Here's how it works:

1. If you would like to participate, please Private Message me directly with your name and mailing address. Deadline will be NOVEMBER 15.

2. One half of the list (with my name in it) will go to Natasha. The other half of the list (with Natasha's name in it) will go to me.

3. By NOVEMBER 20, you will receive a Private Message either from me or Natasha, giving you the name and address of the person you've been assigned to mail a book to. These assignments will be random.

4. By December 5 (or earlier, of course) please mail your recipient a NEW book. We strongly encourage a Canadian book, but it doesn't have to be, if you have the perfect non-Canadian book in mind.

5. You can open your book whenever you like! Some people last year had willpower and waited until Christmas morning. Others had none (like me) and opened it right away.

6. Please keep your recipient's name, and any book you receive a secret until December 26!! We'll have a few days where people will reveal the books they received, as well as who they mailed to, here in this thread, let's say Dec 26-Jan 1. You can try to guess after Dec 26, but I'll warn you that I don't know if anyone got it right last year!

Some tips:

~ It might be a good idea to update your "Read" and "Want to Read" lists so that your sender can have a look at your tastes and what you've already read.

~ Some people (myself included) have a running "Want to Buy" list (or some other name) on their profile. That's particularly helpful for someone choosing a book for you, because so many of us are book hoarders; if you have it on a "Want to Read" list, it certainly doesn't mean you don't already own it!

~ Keep in mind that if you get an international address, postage costs may be a bit higher and mail times may be longer. If you don't want to receive an international address, please just let me know in your message.

I think that's it! Of course anyone can pipe in if they learned something last year that will be helpful for this year.

I know it's only mid-October, but it's so fun!

message 21: by ❀ Susan (new)

So exciting!!! Thanks to Alison and Natasha for arranging!!! :)

message 22: by Alan (new)

Alan | 626 comments Thank-you Alison and Natasha for doing this. Last year was my first time participating in a Secret Santa and I had a great time picking
the gift and then receiving the gift. The person I sent mine too never found out it was me because I never came forward (I don't believe this person has joined this group this year)and I never knew who sent me my books. As my received books were sort of partly a continuation (and it was a Canadian writer)I received two books last year. It was much appreciated and I appreciate the work that goes into putting this together. It's lots of fun.

message 23: by Heather(Gibby) (new)

Heather(Gibby) (heather-gibby) | 570 comments I have been scoping out people's book shelves and trying to identify what I would send if I got that person's name, and there are several members, who do not have any kind of TBR or wish list at all, which will make it very difficult for prospective Santa's

message 24: by Allison (new)

Allison | 2267 comments Heather(Gibby) wrote: "I have been scoping out people's book shelves and trying to identify what I would send if I got that person's name, and there are several members, who do not have any kind of TBR or wish list at al..."

In this case, I guess you'll have total freedom to buy them something that isn't on the "Read" list! I know... I've also been studying lists to see what I may buy. Fun!

Alan, I just assumed that everyone disclosed last year! I guess the mystery will live on if the giver/receiver doesn't come forward! It's another layer I hadn't considered! I found out who mailed to me, and I told my recipient too. That was half the fun!

We had two new people sign up today. We're now up to 12 people!

message 25: by Natasha (new)

Natasha Penney | 787 comments Hmmm...I guess I assumed the sender would identify themselves - return address, enclosed card or gift tag.

Do people still plan to keep the secret, or reveal themselves to the recipient with the actual gift? I know we're not telling anyone else in the group until Dec. 26.

message 26: by Mj (new)

Mj | 1195 comments I think the fun of the Secret Santa aspect is NOT identifying yourself to the recipient. That way the recipient has some fun and gets to guess. They may guess before the reveal but the reveal I thought would be to everyone including the recipient on Dec. 26th.

One thing that "could" be done if people want to and can be discreet.....is to give one or 2 very vague clues. Maybe the sender could post them on say December 24th for everyone to see and we could all have some fun matching senders with names. Maybe too much to ask for before Christmas but an idea.

Definitely don't thing the sender should reveal himself or herself anywhere when the actual gift is sent.

That's my perception anyway.

message 27: by Allison (new)

Allison | 2267 comments Last year I believe we all sent books anonymously.

Then after a certain date we could guess who our sender was and revealed who we mailed the book to. I think it worked well, it was a lot of fun, and suggest we stick with that if everyone agrees.

message 28: by Natasha (new)

Natasha Penney | 787 comments Thanks! Whew! Glad that was clarified for me.

Allison ༻hikes the bookwoods༺ (allisonhikesthebookwoods) | 2056 comments Question: if you send through Amazon or Indigo, is there an anonymous option?

message 30: by Magdelanye (new)

Magdelanye | 625 comments actually, I would like to give a book to just about everyone! Which got me thinking....this is such an energetic group, maybe we could, in the new year perhaps, set up a borrow circle. I am thinking especially about Louise, who I believe would really like some of my o.p. and hard to find books on prisons and by prisoners, and Shvaugn who might be very interested in some early feminist poetry and science fiction. Rainey,Mary Anne and Taile, well in fact it often occurs to me how great it would be to be able to provide a bit of practical help in ensuring nobody has to miss out because of access issues.

as for the gift exchange, please count me in

message 31: by Allison (new)

Allison | 2267 comments Hhhmmm... @Allison, good question. I don't know!

@Magdelanye, please send me your name/address by private message and I'll add you to the list! Glad you're in!

Re: borrow circle -- neat idea!

Allison ༻hikes the bookwoods༺ (allisonhikesthebookwoods) | 2056 comments From https://www.amazon.ca/gp/help/custome...

The name and address you provide as the shipping address will appear on the packing slip.

So I take it you can avoid having your address disclosed to the recipient.

message 33: by Natasha (new)

Natasha Penney | 787 comments You can avoid it - just place the recipient's name/address in the ordering field. But the e-mail, which we don't have as part of the collection of addresses - unless people wanted to provide them - shouldn't feature the givers' name. The helpful staff member I just asked at Chapters just explained it.

message 34: by Megan (new)

Megan  | 628 comments My secret Santa sent me my book via chapters last year and there wasn't a name. Tricky work secret santa! :)

message 35: by Allison (new)

Allison | 2267 comments Up to 14 people now...

A thought has occurred to me -- if you'd like to make sure you get someone NEW to mail a book to this year, if you participated last year, please feel free to send me a note.

message 36: by Mary (new)

Mary | 457 comments I would like to be added to the list. I will send Alison an address where I am staying in Ottawa.

message 37: by Allison (new)

Allison | 2267 comments If anyone wants into the Holiday Gift exchange, the "doors close" tomorrow at my bedtime! :)

If you have sent me a message and I haven't responded, please try again. If you got a note back from me, then you're IN!

We have 15 people right now. Very exciting!

message 38: by Allison (last edited Nov 15, 2016 06:12AM) (new)

Allison | 2267 comments Up to 18 people! 12 hours left... As far as I know, everyone who has tried to send me a message has successfully gotten through. If you haven't received a response from me, it means I didn't get your note.

Then... by November 20, either Natasha or I will email you the name and address of the person that you're to send a book to.

More to come...

message 39: by Natasha (new)

Natasha Penney | 787 comments Exciting!

message 40: by ❀ Susan (new)

Thanks so much for arranging @Allison and @Natasha - It is creating excitement for the holidays!!!

message 41: by Jen (new)

Jen Hi everyone, I just joined the group today and if it's not too late would love to participate in the book exchange (if it is - not to worry). I took part last year and it was a lot of fun. Thank you to the organizers to picking this up again this year.

message 42: by Allison (last edited Nov 16, 2016 08:32AM) (new)

Allison | 2267 comments Hi Jen!! It's not too late! Natasha and I are running it this year, and today we are getting organized with names. Please send me a private message with your name and address and we'll slip you in. You'll bring us up to a clear 20 participants. So glad you're in!

Allison ༻hikes the bookwoods༺ (allisonhikesthebookwoods) | 2056 comments description

I came away from the post office yesterday with the most fabulous haul, which I thought I'd post here in the spirit of giving and receiving books. Two of these books I did order for myself (The Chemist and The Gift), two I received after winning a Goodreads giveaway (Christmas Under the Stars and Broken Promise), and the remaining four came from a book exchange I participated in on Facebook. I've already read The Girl on the Train and Outlander so they'll likely end up in my LFL, but I have American Gods and The Ginger Man yet to enjoy.

message 44: by Allison (new)

Allison | 2267 comments @Allison, that is so fun! Nice!

All these GoodReads giveaway winners! I don't know how you do it... :) Fantastic!

message 45: by ✿✿✿May (new)

✿✿✿May  | 990 comments @Allison, so jealous!!

message 46: by Allison (last edited Nov 16, 2016 08:03AM) (new)

Allison | 2267 comments Okay, folks, @Natasha has her list! Half of you will hear from her, and half of you will hear from me in the next few days.

A couple of reminders:

1. By December 5 (or earlier, of course) please mail your recipient a NEW book. We strongly encourage a Canadian book, but it doesn't have to be, if you have the perfect non-Canadian book in mind.

2. You can open your book whenever you like! Some people last year had willpower and waited until Christmas morning. Others had none (like me) and opened it right away. I think it's okay to post here that you got your book, and whether or not you opened it, to keep everyone excited. :)

3. Please keep your recipient's name, and the title of the book you receive a secret until December 26!! We'll have a few days where people will reveal the books they received, as well as who they mailed to, starting here in this thread on Dec 26. You can try to guess after Dec 26, but I'll warn you that I don't know if anyone got it right last year!

Some tips:

~ It might be a good idea to update your "Read" and "Want to Read" lists so that your sender can have a look at your tastes and what you've already read.

~ Some people have a running "Want to Buy" list (or some other name) on their profile. That's particularly helpful for someone choosing a book for you, because so many of us are book hoarders; if you have it on a "Want to Read" list, it certainly doesn't mean you don't already own it!

~ Some people sent notes or comments to help their sender, and so you'll receive those hints if they apply.

Have fun!

message 47: by Jen (new)

Jen Allison wrote: "Hi Jen!! It's not too late! Natasha and I are running it this year, and today we are getting organized with names. Please send me a private message with your name and address and we'll slip you in...."

Thanks Allison - I'm so pleased I connected with you today. Cheers!

message 48: by Megan (new)

Megan  | 628 comments 30!! This is going to be fun. :)

message 49: by Allison (last edited Nov 16, 2016 08:32AM) (new)

Allison | 2267 comments Megan wrote: "30!! This is going to be fun. :)"

AH! TYPO! We are at 20 participants! Sorry -- will go edit that comment! SORRY!

But still fun! :)

message 50: by Megan (new)

Megan  | 628 comments haha! I was pretty impressed that the number jumped from 18 to 30. I assumed there were a bunch of procrastinators. It'll still be great with 20, which is still a lot of people. :)

« previous 1 3 4 5 6