Fantasy and Vampire Book Club discussion

You Slay Me (Aisling Grey #1)
This topic is about You Slay Me
Book of the Month > Adult BOM Oct 2016 -You Slay me by Katie MacAlister

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Adele, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Adele (turtil) | 1767 comments Mod
Our Apologies to those who had trouble voting. we were having trouble on our end too. we think there might have been some gremlins in the system. it was a known issue by the GR staff so lets hope it doesn't happen again.

Thank you to those who were able to vote, we almost had a tie but by one vote we have a winner:
You Slay Me You Slay Me (Aisling Grey #1) by Katie MacAlister By Katie MacAlister

This was the second humorous paranormal series i had ever read. That was years ago now. well overdue for a re read.

so what is the book about? well here is the synopsis for you:

The author of The Corset Diaries returns to the realm of the paranormal in this sexy, funny romance that pits Seattle-based Aisling Grey against Drake Vireo, a seriously handsome Parisian dragon in human form. In her job as courier, Aisling is to deliver a precious demonic artifact to a Mme. Deauxville in Paris, but she finds Madame freshly dead, surrounded by a circle of ash. The artifact is then stolen by the fast-talking Drake, who claims that Aisling is no mere courier but in fact a demon lord and his destined mate. Determined to play detective, Aisling summons up a demon only to find herself saddled with one, in the form of a slobbering Newfoundland who wants to go walkies. Drake wants to show her the way dragons mate, and then bodies seem to pile up all over Paris, making Aisling a corpse magnet and top suspect. It's going to take every screwy new ally she's got to solve this murder and adjust to her new life in a strange new world.

Well if i remember rightly this book has it all. Humor, Romance, Murder... horrible combination but if i remember rightly i last read this on the train and was cackling away with people staring at me!

New to the BOM? never fear we have ways for you to join us:
~You could read with us by letting us know what page/chapter you are on and what your thoughts are so far
~ You could read the book and post your favourite quote from the book (there are heaps to choose from good luck choosing a favourite)
~ Tell us your most loved /hated Character and Moment in the book
~Post your review or a link to your review here. Blogs/Vlogs are accepted and encouraged, or just a maybe just a link to your Goodreads review. we love them all!

message 2: by Dallass (new)

Dallass (tundrablue) | 1 comments Reread this series, and the following Silver Dragon trilogy, earlier this year. Would love to read more from this world ;-D

message 3: by Cassie Cruel (new)

Cassie Cruel (faith_isola) | 12 comments Love this world!!

message 4: by Adele, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

it is awesome.... i had forgotten how much i loved it until i started re reading it again!

message 5: by Amyiw, Challenges Moderator (last edited Oct 21, 2016 10:58PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Amyiw | 1083 comments Mod
I've read several of MacAlister's books including this one and she frustrates me with her endings. They are abrupt, and frequently end in cliffhangers. Still they are off the wall funny too. So, what is interesting is that I've actually reread her books and not because of a challenge. There are no other books that I rate so low that I would reread, but for some reason, I have with MacAlister. I am still planning on rereading this, or actually listening this time as OneClick Digital had it for my library. I am convinced that she doesn't know how to write an ending. The world's and set up is some of the most interesting. It has been a while since I last read her so I guess I'll see if I've changed my mind.

message 6: by Amyiw, Challenges Moderator (new) - rated it 2 stars

OK the narrator just doesn't do it for me. Where I would normally think something is funny she inflects it to just make me want to strangle the characters. Hate the voice of Jim. Going to have to read to the end. She also has a deep older voice and it just doesn't go well with Aisling.

message 7: by Amyiw, Challenges Moderator (new) - rated it 2 stars

Finished it and I hate to say I liked it less on my reread, mainly because she is clueless and TSTL throughout the book. There are definite laughs and the snark abounds but that is all that is good for me. It is hard to like if I don't like the main character in a 1st person POV or the plot even with the humor. I'm such a party pooper here.

message 8: by Adele, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

see this is the kind of feedback I love. negative or positive what are other people's opinions on the book?

message 9: by Amyiw, Challenges Moderator (new) - rated it 2 stars

I was not optimistic when I couldn't remember any of the plot points and only a little about the characters. I read this 6 years ago. I remembered it being snarky and funny but not enjoying the story or ending. Didn't remember the story. On reread, nothing jogged my memory other than characters. I didn't think it was as funny, maybe because I've read lots of other humorous series since then.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

You Slay Me (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Katie MacAlister (other topics)