World, Writing, Wealth discussion

Lark Rise to Candleford
This topic is about Lark Rise to Candleford
Wealth & Economics > definition of want

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by William (new)

William J.Roby (Consta) | 16 comments Thought I'd add this definition of poverty by Laura in 'Lark Rise To Candleford' by Flora Thompson. It seems appropriate as the group's title is 'Wealth, Writing, World.'

'Poverty is no shame, but 'tis a great inconvenience.'

This could perhaps be seen today as a huge understatement, reflecting more the stoic, innocent times that Thompson herself lived through.

Tara Woods Turner | 2063 comments William wrote: "Thought I'd add this definition of poverty by Laura in 'Lark Rise To Candleford' by Flora Thompson. It seems appropriate as the group's title is 'Wealth, Writing, World.'

'Poverty is no shame, b..."

This is an awesome post. Sadly, I agree with you that this take on poverty is not viable today, in my opinion. Lack of resources has far reaching and pervasive effects and can not be classified as quaint.

message 3: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 14977 comments Sadly, it's still relevant. Certainly not a shame, but an inconvenience is an understatement.
Maybe I'm wrong, but the feeling is that the mankind amassed enough resources to avail a little better life for virtually everyone, but we put up with the situ as it is and some argue it's natural and good. If you ask me, I'd try to adjust a little and carefully, based on models that work

Tara Woods Turner | 2063 comments Disparity isn't an issue until it affects the middle class.

message 5: by Kevin (new)

Kevin Kuhn (kevinkuhn) | 45 comments At the world-wide macro level poverty has been on the decrease. However, with the resources and capability for it to be zero (which I believe we have - now), and as long as there is starvation and people going without basic needs, it's unacceptable.

message 6: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 14977 comments Kevin wrote: "At the world-wide macro level poverty has been on the decrease. However, with the resources and capability for it to be zero (which I believe we have - now), and as long as there is starvation and ..."

Agree. It may sound utopian, but there are countries that are pretty succesful in eradicating these ...

message 7: by Mehreen (last edited Oct 10, 2016 07:41PM) (new)

Mehreen Ahmed (mehreen2) | 1911 comments Poverty is not a shame, it's true, but it is certainly a lot more than just "inconvenience". There is poverty everywhere around the world starting from the "first world" all the way down to emerging and the third world. It is relative and that's the only difference.

What is shameful is that even in the 21st century, poverty has not been eradicated despite all the resources we got in this modern century.

message 8: by Michel (new)

Michel Poulin You can thank the tremendous waste of resources, money and lives sunk into military weapons and wars. Without wars and the present orgy of spending on the military, we would be able to eradicate many of the ills in this World. Unfortunately, in view of the Human nature, I have no illusions that this will happen in my lifetime.

message 9: by Mehreen (new)

Mehreen Ahmed (mehreen2) | 1911 comments Michel wrote: "You can thank the tremendous waste of resources, money and lives sunk into military weapons and wars. Without wars and the present orgy of spending on the military, we would be able to eradicate ma..."

Yeah, that too.