Hooked on Books discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archive > November 2016

Comments Showing 1-50 of 51 (51 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Shaunesay (new)

Shaunesay Having trouble getting through your to read shelf? Can't decide what to read next? Would you like someone to choose a book for you to read? This is a monthly challenge where participants get paired up randomly and their partner picks a book for them to read. If this sounds like fun to you, welcome to this month's Pick It For Me challenge!

Sign ups end on the 20th. Partners will be assigned shortly thereafter. Book choices for your partners are to be given on or before the 1st. Please check back often during that time to be sure that you don't miss anything!

Guidelines
* Sign up below with your to-read shelf (or the shelf you prefer your picks to come from)
* Please be sure that your profile is set to public, or that you friend your partner so that they can see your shelves. - IF YOUR PROFILE IS NOT SET TO PUBLIC, PLEASE PROVIDE A LIST FOR YOUR PARTNER TO CHOOSE FROM

If you do not plan to participate or are unsure if you can pick a novel for your partner, PLEASE, PLEASE do not sign up. It is very difficult to re-pair individuals once we are underway.

message 2: by Shaunesay (last edited Oct 28, 2016 04:08PM) (new)

Shaunesay

Marcia (To Read or My Library) and Marylène (Pick me a Winner)

Laura (To Read) and Johnni (TBR)

Kathyb (SciFi-Fantasy) and Madison (Pick it for me)

Renie (To Read) and Janne (Pick for me)

Heather (To Read) and Jennifer (TBR)

Kelsi (Pick it for me) and Ev (To Read)

Elizabeth (Pick it hooked on books) and Ev (To Read)

message 3: by Marcia (new)

Marcia (nookworm2786) I'm in with my to read/my library shelf

message 4: by Laura (new)

Laura | 102 comments I'm in with my TBR shelf :)

message 5: by Kathy (last edited Oct 12, 2016 02:57PM) (new)

Kathy Broyles | 522 comments I'm in with my SciFi-Fantasy shelf https://www.goodreads.com/review/list...

message 6: by Johnni (new)

Johnni Quest (johnniquest) | 1226 comments I'm in with my TBR shelf :)

message 7: by Heather (new)

Heather | 1262 comments I'm in with my to read shelf!

message 8: by Janne (new)

Janne (missadventuress) | 74 comments I'm in with my Pick for me Shelf

message 9: by Kelsi (new)

Kelsi Vignola | 95 comments I'm in with my pick it for me shelf https://www.goodreads.com/review/list...

message 10: by Ev (new)

Ev | 72 comments I'm in with my to-read shelf. More than one picks are welcome. https://www.goodreads.com/review/list...

message 11: by Elizabeth (last edited Oct 19, 2016 01:52AM) (new)

Elizabeth | 419 comments I'm in
here is my shelf:
pick it hooked on books: https://www.goodreads.com/review/list...

message 12: by Mady (last edited Oct 20, 2016 07:09PM) (new)

Mady DeJulio | 12 comments I'm in with my pick for me shelf

message 13: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Girard (jennifergirard) | 0 comments I'm in with my TBR shelf !!

message 15: by Shaunesay (last edited Oct 21, 2016 05:05PM) (new)

Shaunesay Partners are posted!

Ev, since you requested more than one pick, I gave you two partners, so you will pick a book for each of them, and they will each pick one for you. :)

Partners

message 16: by Marcia (new)

Marcia (nookworm2786) For Marylène my pick is Where She Went

message 17: by Ev (new)

Ev | 72 comments Kelsi, I pick "Life and Death" for you.

Elizabeth, you get "Gerald's Game."

message 18: by Kathy (new)

Kathy Broyles | 522 comments For Madison-I picked Shadow and Bone I read it and really enjoyed the series. Hope you do too!

message 19: by Laura (new)

Laura | 102 comments I pick Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn for Johnni. It's an incredible book!

message 20: by Johnni (new)

Johnni Quest (johnniquest) | 1226 comments For Laura, I pick Truthwitch (The Witchlands, #1) by Susan Dennard ! I really enjoyed this world building and characters in this book and am really excited to see where the series is going!

message 21: by Johnni (new)

Johnni Quest (johnniquest) | 1226 comments Laura wrote: "I pick Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn for Johnni. It's an incredible book!"

Hey Laura, I don't have this one and I don't think it's on my shelf...to be really honest, I'm bad at reading thrillers hahaha I get really jumpy and paranoid. I'm a wimp with a really good imagination. It's a bad combination ;)

message 22: by Laura (new)

Laura | 102 comments Johnni wrote: "Laura wrote: "I pick Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn for Johnni. It's an incredible book!"

Hey Laura, I don't have this one and I don't think it's on my shelf...to be really honest, I'm bad at read..."

Sorry! It was in your to-read shelf and I got confused! I doubted between Gone Girl and Ready Player One before, so I choose Ready Player One by Ernest Cline . I loved the book and I gave it 5 stars.

I'm really excited to read Truthwitch, thanks!

message 23: by Shaunesay (new)

Shaunesay did I goof on the shelf links?

message 24: by Johnni (new)

Johnni Quest (johnniquest) | 1226 comments Laura wrote: "Johnni wrote: "Laura wrote: "I pick Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn for Johnni. It's an incredible book!"

Hey Laura, I don't have this one and I don't think it's on my shelf...to be really honest, ..."

Awesome! Thank you! I think the confusion comes from my shelf names since I have To Read and a TBR shelf... I should probably come up with better names for them.

message 25: by Johnni (new)

Johnni Quest (johnniquest) | 1226 comments Shaunesay wrote: "did I goof on the shelf links?"

I think the link was right, but I have confusing shelf names haha

message 26: by Kelsi (new)

Kelsi Vignola | 95 comments For Ev, I pick Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell . I love this book and I think that you are going to enjoy it.

message 27: by Ev (new)

Ev | 72 comments Yes! I have been meaning to get to it.

message 28: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth | 419 comments Even for you I pickn Helter Skelter The True Story of the Manson Murders by Vincent Bugliosi Helter Skelter: The True Story of the Manson Murders,its one of my all time favourite Ture crime books I love to read.hope you like it.

message 29: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth | 419 comments Even thinks for pick the Stephen King book for me, it'll be the first time I've ever read it

message 30: by Janne (new)

Janne (missadventuress) | 74 comments For Renie I choose The Fireman by Joe Hill , Cause Joe Hill is a fantastic author.

message 31: by Ev (new)

Ev | 72 comments Awesome! I will get right on it. Thanks, Elizabeth.

message 32: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Girard (jennifergirard) | 0 comments For Heather i choose : Me Before You (Me Before You, #1) by Jojo Moyes cause I loved it!

message 33: by Marylène (new)

Marylène Girard | 6 comments For Marcia I choose The Summer We Came to Life by Deborah Cloyed

message 34: by Shaunesay (new)

Shaunesay It looks like we just need Madison and Heather to choose for their partners and then we're done for this round!

message 35: by Ev (new)

Ev | 72 comments I loved doing this. Ready to go again.

message 36: by Shaunesay (new)

Shaunesay I messaged Madison and Heather yesterday, so if they have not come in by tonight then we can have Kathyb and Jennifer choose a book for each other. :)

message 37: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Girard (jennifergirard) | 0 comments Shaunesay wrote: "I messaged Madison and Heather yesterday, so if they have not come in by tonight then we can have Kathyb and Jennifer choose a book for each other. :)"

Thanks Shaunesay :)

message 38: by Kathy (new)

Kathy Broyles | 522 comments Sounds good to me too Shaunie

message 39: by Kathy (new)

Kathy Broyles | 522 comments It is night here, so I'm going to go ahead and pick a book for Jennifer. I have to go with the first book on your list because it is on my wish list and I'm counting on you to read it and tell me what you think so I'll know whether to buy it or not. American Girls by Alison Umminger

message 40: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Girard (jennifergirard) | 0 comments Kathyb wrote: "It is night here, so I'm going to go ahead and pick a book for Jennifer. I have to go with the first book on your list because it is on my wish list and I'm counting on you to read it and tell me w..."

haha great :)

For you I pick The Magicians (The Magicians #1) by Lev Grossman because I heard mixed things about it so I'll know if it's good or not !

message 41: by Shaunesay (new)

Shaunesay I came to check on you and you have taken care of yourselves! ;) I'm interested in the Magicians too, same reason. I do already own it though, so I'll probably get to it eventually. someday I'll be caught up on picks and feel like I can join in again myself!

Alrighty, we are done with November picks, see you all next round!

message 42: by Kathy (new)

Kathy Broyles | 522 comments Jennifer (livresaddicted) wrote: "Kathyb wrote: "It is night here, so I'm going to go ahead and pick a book for Jennifer. I have to go with the first book on your list because it is on my wish list and I'm counting on you to read i..."

I have that one in audio, so I'll start on it as soon as I finish "Just a Geek". I've had this one for a long time, but needed a push to get it started. Thanks :)

message 43: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth | 419 comments Ev thinks for picking Gerald's Game A Novel by Stephen King and I hate to do this but at this time I won't be reading it, going to have to fix it before I can do so, its a brand new paperback book, had it lest then a month and some of the pages came out of it,so I'm going to have to see how I can fix that before I read it.

message 44: by Ev (new)

Ev | 72 comments That's okay. I am working on Helter Skelter, and it's scaring me out of my mind. I am at the point where I have to read it with plenty of people around and in the daytime. It will take me awhile. Lol

message 45: by Shaunesay (last edited Nov 06, 2016 06:47PM) (new)

Shaunesay Ev wrote: "That's okay. I am working on Helter Skelter, and it's scaring me out of my mind. I am at the point where I have to read it with plenty of people around and in the daytime. It will take me awhile. Lol"

As I recall there is a section of photos in there than I looked at when I was a kid, and that was a huge mistake! Unless yours isn't the one about the Manson Murders?

message 46: by Ev (new)

Ev | 72 comments That's the one. I also flicked through them. Combined with the writing, they are the stuff nightmares are made of.

message 47: by Shaunesay (new)

Shaunesay Ev wrote: "That's the one. I also flicked through them. Combined with the writing, they are the stuff nightmares are made of."

Truth!!!

message 48: by Shaunesay (new)

Shaunesay All,

I am interested in bringing on some assistant moderators, I am currently the only active one, and while maintaining this group has been manageable so far, I want to have some others involved to spread the job to keep things running smoothly.

Moderator duties consist of making sure things are running smoothly in the area you choose, monitoring new posts for content, just to make sure they follow group guidelines for a friendly all ages site, greeting new members as they post in the introduction site, setting up read-a-thon's if you choose that area. etc.

If you are active in the group and plan on being involved long term and are interested in being a moderator, please message me, and include which parts of the group you would be interested in helping with (read-a-thon's, sprints, pick-it-for-me, etc.)

Thanks!

message 49: by Marylène (new)

Marylène Girard | 6 comments I finished Where She Went and I give it 3 stars.

Thank your Marcia !!

message 50: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Girard (jennifergirard) | 0 comments I just finished American Girls and gave it 4 stars :) Thanks Kathy !

« previous 1
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.