Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Questions > Book titles and edition titles

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tim (new)

Tim Hi, a quick question - when editing a books title, is it appropriate to enter the edition description in the title, or perhaps in the format?

eg the particular edition i have of Ayn Rand's 'We The Living' is a paperback, 60th anniversary edition.

Should i put the title as

'We The Living (60th Anniversary Edition)'

which would then i assume appear as:

'We The Living (60th Anniversary Edition)(Paperback)' ?

Or if there is a subheading of the title does this then remove the format heading?

Perhaps i should ignore the edition title alltogether, but i feel that having the edition title makes it easier for people to recognise which book they have perhaps?

Cheers

message 2: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 32967 comments Mod
I would suggesting putting "60th Anniversary Edition" as the first line in the description field.

message 3: by Leonardo (new)

Leonardo | 7 comments I think you could write the title as:

'We The Living: 60th Anniversary Edition'

Putting the edition title as a subtitle and avoiding the excess of parenthesis. Just be sure to merge this edition with the other editions of the same book and it should be fine. I think adding the subtitle to the description field might be misleading, but that is just my opinion.

message 4: by Tim (new)

Tim Thanks for your comments Rivka and Leonardo. I had another look around to see some examples in action and noticed some others doing what ye suggest Leonardo, so i may run with that.

If a title had a subtitle as well as an edition title, perhaps then it is a good idea to put it in the description field.

Cheers