Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

Monthly "Reads" > Carol's Sleepy September

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 7904 comments Sleepy in terms of number read, not in terms of quality.

I'm Thinking of Ending Things by Iain Reid I'm Thinking of Ending Things. Iaian Reid. 4+/5

Wow. Where to begin. This psychological thriller slowly built tension and uneasiness until I could no longer read it at night, delaying finishing it on the last day of the month because I knew I wouldn’t easily go to sleep if I kept going. I think Barry compared it to Shutter Island and I agree at the risk of turning away those who didn’t like SI. It is a quick read you won’t soon forget. I won’t, anyway. A young woman embarks on a trip with her boyfriend to visit his parents, taking the reader along on a trip you’ll never see coming.

Orphan X (Evan Smoak, #1) by Gregg Hurwitz Orphan X. Greg Hurwitz. Read by Scott Brick. 5/5

Ethan Smoak was selected as a young boy to be trained as an assassin. What he’s doing now, and why, is at the core of this thriller and a nice set-up for a series. Fast-paced and with a heart. Looking forward to the next in the series. Scott Brick’s reading kept flashing me back to the Justin Cronin series, but his was the perfect voice for this story.

Surrender, New York by Caleb Carr Surrender, New York37. Caleb Carr. Read by Tom Taylorson. 5/5

Dr. Trajan Jones, student of the forensic investigation methods of Dr. Lazlo Kreitzler, is drawn into a case in present-day upstate New York involving the death of “throwaway children,” children abandoned by their parents and left to their own devices. This novel from the author of the much-lauded The Alienist does not disappoint. There are lots of supplementary characters that add richness and entertainment to the story. And what other protagonist has a pet cheetah? Ably read by Tom Taylorson.

message 2: by Ann (last edited Oct 09, 2016 05:50PM) (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14413 comments Carol: good looking list! I need to find time for Orphan X. I agree with your assessment of Surrender, New York and also found I'm Thinking of Ending Things extremely creepy! We have some good discussions on both!

message 3: by Barry (new)

Barry (barrypz) | 2998 comments I still don't know what to make of "Ending Things".

message 4: by Sherry (new)

Sherry  | 3621 comments good month, carol. i still need to get to Surrender, New York and totally agree with barry about I'm Thinking of Ending Things.

message 5: by Brakedrum (new)

Brakedrum | 1203 comments Lots of good reads!

message 6: by Amy (new)

Amy | 1342 comments Good reads

message 7: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 7904 comments Barry wrote: "I still don't know what to make of "Ending Things"."

So you're thinking of "Thinking of Ending Things"......

Would you read another by this author?

message 8: by Dawn (last edited Oct 11, 2016 07:26AM) (new)

Dawn | 1270 comments Great month! It was great sharing insights, (I use that term loosely because I still can't say thats what I have) on I'm Thinking of Ending Things with you! Glad you liked Orphan X! I really liked it and also can't wait for the next book!

message 9: by Barry (new)

Barry (barrypz) | 2998 comments ...Would you read another by this author?

I was intrigued enough that I would. I would read more carefully though.