Play Book Tag discussion

The Mysterious Affair at Styles (Hercule Poirot, #1)
This topic is about The Mysterious Affair at Styles
Archive: Other Books > The Mysterious Affair at Styles / Agatha Christie. 3 stars

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

LibraryCin | 8129 comments The Mysterious Affair at Styles / Agatha Christie
3 stars

This was Agatha Christie’s debut novel, written in 1920. It is also where she introduced Hercule Poirot. While Hastings is staying with friends, the lady of the house is murdered. Retired Scotland Yard detective Poirot comes to help solve the case. The husband, two sons, a daughter-in-law and more are all suspects.

It was ok. So many characters are introduced right away at the beginning of her books that I sometimes lose who is who for a while. I’m actually not a Poirot fan; I prefer Miss Marple. I find him a bit annoying, as he hints at things with Hastings, but never comes out and says what he thinks. He always wants Hastings to figure it out on his own. He is a bit of a know-it-all, as he always does seem to know it from the start, but can’t prove it, so never reveals his thoughts until the end. His attitude just annoys me a bit. At the same time, I was interested in reading Christie’s debut novel, and in reading the book that introduced Poirot.

annapi | 4916 comments I wasn't impressed by this either when I first read it, since I started with The Mirror Cracked. I do like Poirot even though he is irritating at times.