The Sword and Laser discussion

TV, Movies and Games > The Defenders (Netflix)

Comments Showing 1-41 of 41 (41 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Trike (new)

Trike | 8176 comments Believe it or not, they've cast the Big Bad for the Defenders.

http://nerdist.com/the-defenders-cast...

message 2: by Louie (new)

Louie (rmutt1914) | 878 comments Trike wrote: "Believe it or not, The Defenders have their Big Bad."

And the crowd start chanting, "Holy, sh*t!"

https://youtu.be/CO6Emtrprg4

message 3: by Tamahome (new)

Tamahome | 6106 comments Yeah, but who is she playing?

message 4: by John (Taloni) (new)

John (Taloni) Taloni (johntaloni) | 3863 comments I'm going to make a wild guess and say it ISN'T Dormammu.

But hey, since they're retconned the Ancient One into a Caucasian woman, maybe she can be the Evil Ancient One. Or Baroness Morda. Or the Silver Sorceress. Or...

message 5: by Tamahome (last edited Oct 10, 2016 06:21AM) (new)

Tamahome | 6106 comments Not exactly a villian, but how about unpleasant special agent Abigail Brand (who fights aliens as head of S.W.O.R.D.) from Joss Whedon's Astonishing X-men? I could imagine Sigourney playing that.

message 6: by Darren (new)

Darren John (Taloni) wrote: "I'm going to make a wild guess and say it ISN'T Dormammu.

But hey, since they're retconned the Ancient One into a Caucasian woman, maybe she can be the Evil Ancient One. Or Baroness Morda. Or the ..."

Wrong thread?

message 7: by John (Taloni) (last edited Oct 10, 2016 09:29AM) (new)

John (Taloni) Taloni (johntaloni) | 3863 comments ^Dr. Strange is the nominal leader of the Defenders to the extent the "non-team team" has one, at least in the comics. And Dormammu is Dr. Strange's most usual villain.

message 8: by Phil (new)

Phil | 1136 comments I'm pretty sure this Defenders isn't going to include Dr, Strange at all.

message 9: by Phil (new)

Phil | 1136 comments Maybe she's some sort of female Mephisto.

message 10: by Louie (new)

Louie (rmutt1914) | 878 comments Phil wrote: "Maybe she's some sort of female Mephisto."

Mephisto was rumored to be The Defenders' big bad.

message 11: by John (Taloni) (new)

John (Taloni) Taloni (johntaloni) | 3863 comments Phil wrote: "I'm pretty sure this Defenders isn't going to include Dr, Strange at all."

*flings hands in air*

Well, so long as it has Luke Cage in it, it's likely to be pretty good.

message 12: by Trike (new)

Trike | 8176 comments Defenders has a release date, done cleverly.

http://www.tor.com/2017/04/04/marvel-...

message 13: by Keith (new)

Keith (keithatc) As long as it isn't a a boring ninja or a boring ninja but not in a ninja costume, I'll be happy. Well, happier. Jeez, The Hand is dull.

I'd also be happy if the Defenders dropped Danny Rand/Iron Fist but let Ward Meachum join.

Benedict | SFF Oasis (bookish_benny) Keith wrote: "I'd also be happy if the Defenders dropped Danny Rand/Iron ..."

Ha!

message 15: by John (Taloni) (new)

John (Taloni) Taloni (johntaloni) | 3863 comments Iron Fist isn't bad compared to the original Daredevil run. A little lower in quality but not horrendous. It's when you compare to the high water mark of Jessica Jones, which looked to be an all time but was then EXCEEDED by Luke Cage, that Iron Fist looks bad. It's simply fair to middling. I won't miss him if he is left out of the Defenders - who needs a bunch of setups to use the Iron Fist when it could easily be solved another way? But I won't hate it if he's included. I'm going to miss Dr. Strange on the non team team a lot more.

But realistically, the writing on Defenders HAS to be better than on Iron Fist. It's not the actor's fault. He's actually portraying Iron Fist fairly well.

message 16: by Darren (new)

Darren John (Taloni) wrote: "Iron Fist isn't bad compared to the original Daredevil run."

You are literally the first person I have ever seen say or write this.

message 17: by Trike (new)

Trike | 8176 comments Super stoked to see Defenders: Team Hallway Fight!

https://youtu.be/4h3m7B4v6Zc

message 18: by John (Taloni) (new)

John (Taloni) Taloni (johntaloni) | 3863 comments Okay, that trailer made me hate the idea less. I still don't like how the Defenders doesn't include Dr. Strange. Plus the Night Nurse seems to be dating everyone BUT her comics boyfriend Strange.

It might be a decent show. I don't see how it's the Defenders, though. Just...a different team. Even if they're working hard to get the "non team team without a leader" bit into the show.

message 19: by Walter (new)

Walter Spence (walterspence) | 707 comments John (Taloni) wrote: "Okay, that trailer made me hate the idea less. I still don't like how the Defenders doesn't include Dr. Strange. Plus the Night Nurse seems to be dating everyone BUT her comics boyfriend Strange.

..."

I think that what Marvel/Disney was going for with the Defenders is a different take on the movies. Many of the cinematic Avengers (costumed crusaders like Black Widow and Hawkeye aside) are either godlike beings and/or are engaged against godlike opponents, with a heavy emphasis on CGI.

My take is that the Defenders were intended to be more 'street', dealing with the grittier side of things; more Batman than Superman. A Doctor Strange would, I think, be out of place in their universe. My impression at the time, when Marvel created the original Defenders comic (showing my age here) was that their intention was to cash in on those fans for whom one group of super heroes wasn't enough, so they created a similar title (as I recall, in addition to Doctor Strange, the Hulk was also a Defender).

I'm thinking also that the Defenders, and their accompanying solo series, are being aimed at a much more mature audience than the kid-friendly Avengers flicks, which means storylines with more mature themes (Jessica Jones in particular isn't a series most kids will instinctively grok). One of the weaknesses for me of Iron Fist, among others, was that it lacked that noirish emphasis of the other series. A darker take on the martial arts movies of those times (similar to the one taken with Luke Cage and the blaxplotation films from around the same time) might have generated more critical acclaim, methinks.

message 20: by Allison (last edited May 03, 2017 08:54AM) (new)

Allison Hurd | 226 comments Walter wrote: "I think that what Marvel/Disney was going for with the Defenders is a different take on the movies. Many of the cinematic Avengers (costumed crusaders like Black Widow and Hawkeye aside) are either godlike beings and/or are engaged against godlike opponents, with a heavy emphasis on CGI...."

Well said. Agreed. Also, there's no way that Marvel Television is gonna fight and win against Marvel Studios for Dr. Strange, and I think Benedict is trying to move out of TV anyways. So, if Dr. Strange is a part of this, he's likely going to be the voice on the other side of the phone rather than a physical presence on screen.

message 21: by Darren (last edited May 03, 2017 09:10AM) (new)

Darren They could have the first three episodes being nothing but Danny Rand meets {future team member} and then getting his ass handed to him, repeat next episode, and that'd be all I'd need to see.

message 22: by Phil (last edited May 03, 2017 09:38AM) (new)

Phil | 1136 comments John (Taloni) wrote: "Okay, that trailer made me hate the idea less. I still don't like how the Defenders doesn't include Dr. Strange. Plus the Night Nurse seems to be dating everyone BUT her comics boyfriend Strange.

..."

Maybe it should be called "Heroes For Hire" or "Marvel Knights" rather than "Defenders"

message 23: by Silvana (new)

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 1616 comments Why oh why there has to be Elektra in it so soon...

message 24: by Trike (new)

Trike | 8176 comments John (Taloni) wrote: "It might be a decent show. I don't see how it's the Defenders, though. Just...a different team. Even if they're working hard to get the "non team team without a leader" bit into the show.
..."

I view adaptations as alternative versions of the existing stories. What If or Elseworlds type of things. Or in this case Ultimate Marvel.

I read Defenders back in the day but they never gelled for me as a team, so changing it up doesn't bother me.

I do think a Marvel Knights or Midnight Sons would be a cool series. Morbius and Ghost Rider fighting demons? Yeah, baby!

message 25: by Darren (new)

Darren Phil wrote: "John (Taloni) wrote: "Okay, that trailer made me hate the idea less. I still don't like how the Defenders doesn't include Dr. Strange. Plus the Night Nurse seems to be dating everyone BUT her comic..."

We're not getting Cumberbatch. Also, I don't see a lot of purist demands for Namor...

message 26: by John (Taloni) (new)

John (Taloni) Taloni (johntaloni) | 3863 comments I never said Cumberbatch. The Justice League movie has a different Flash. They could do the same here.

message 27: by Rick (new)

Rick | 2775 comments No, they can't really. I mean sure, they could alter the actor but what about effects? TV has a MUCH lower effects budget give the 13-22 episode count.

Also, no one aside from comics geeks will care about the fact that the team was different there than here, especially since this CANNOT be a surprise to anyone who's been paying attention over the last 4 years since Jessica Jones hit and we knew we were getting the other 3, then a Defenders series.

message 28: by Darren (new)

Darren John (Taloni) wrote: "I never said Cumberbatch. The Justice League movie has a different Flash. They could do the same here."

They can't, really. It's all one.

message 29: by Walter (last edited May 03, 2017 07:16PM) (new)

Walter Spence (walterspence) | 707 comments I agree with Darren. The Justice League movies and CW series (so far as I can tell) aren't drawing from the same shared universe and common background as do the Marvel Netflix series and the Avengers and GotG flicks.

To be sure, there are virtually no crossovers of plotlines (though common characters, like Thor's Sif, do make the rare guest appearance) between Marvel's tv and movie efforts, but both Netflix and ABC shows like Agents of SHIELD will on occasion refer to events like 'The Incident' (the battle against Loki and his alien army in the first Avengers movie). I have yet to see anything similar vis a vis the CW series like Arrow and Flash and the Justice League films.

message 30: by Trike (new)

Trike | 8176 comments John (Taloni) wrote: "I never said Cumberbatch. The Justice League movie has a different Flash. They could do the same here."

As others have said, these all belong in the same universe, so that's not an option. In addition to Sif's guest starring role, Samuel L. Jackson has played Fury on Agents of Shield, and the Agent Carter series featured the Howling Commandos and Howard Stark from the first Captain America movie.

What they can do is bring in characters like Brother Voodoo, whose older brother was the original protector of the New York Sanctum in the Doctor Strange movie, thereby turning a little Easter egg aimed at fans into more connective tissue between TV and movies.

message 31: by Darren (new)

Darren Who they should bring in is She Hulk. There's a character that deserves some TV time, and I think her and Jessica Jones would hit it off, if they hired the right actress for Jen. But I'm not holding my breath, there.

message 32: by Trike (new)

Trike | 8176 comments Darren wrote: "Who they should bring in is She Hulk. There's a character that deserves some TV time, and I think her and Jessica Jones would hit it off, if they hired the right actress for Jen. But I'm not holdin..."

I'm saving She-Hulk for a movie. #ShhDontTellAnyoneItsASecret

message 33: by Keith (new)

Keith (keithatc) I'm just waiting for Claire to cameo on SHIELD, making her the Stan Lee of the TV shows.

message 34: by Walter (last edited Jul 21, 2017 09:01PM) (new)

Walter Spence (walterspence) | 707 comments New teaser trailer. And guess who makes an appearance?

Well, I should say, which two...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=87JNmcw...

message 36: by Trike (new)

Trike | 8176 comments "It's been a long week."

message 37: by Trike (new)

Trike | 8176 comments I watched The Defenders last night. It's... okay.

Netflix did come to their senses and trimmed the season down to 8 episodes from the 13 of the original solo series, but it still felt light on content. Which is weird, since they had four main characters along with all their supporting casts. You'd think they would be bursting with story.

Sigourney Weaver as the Big Bad did a fine job with the very little she had to do. I'm not sure why they hired someone like her and not let her chew the scenery. Or at least emote.

Vincent D'onofrio's Kingpin and Mahershala Ali's Cottonmouth are not challenged for the crown. Alfre Woodard's Black Mariah would eat Weaver's Alexandra for breakfast.

The thing I didn't get was the constant "I don't believe your superpowers" stuff. These guys live in the Marvel Cinematic Universe, with the Hulk and Thor and killer robots and invading aliens. Why is a dragon so hard to believe?

Anyway, it was all right. The standard "we have to fight in a hallway" scene was decent. Both times.

message 38: by Trike (new)

Trike | 8176 comments I won't get into any spoilers, but I will say that watching Luke Cage kick Danny Rand's ass was VERY satisfying.

Iron Fist is the Jar Jar Binks of the MCU.

message 39: by Rik (last edited Aug 19, 2017 03:37PM) (new)

Rik | 777 comments Trike wrote: "I won't get into any spoilers, but I will say that watching Luke Cage kick Danny Rand's ass was VERY satisfying.

Iron Fist is the Jar Jar Binks of the MCU."

Except Danny is the one who kicked Luke's ass. They fought, Danny was getting nowhere against Luke, then Danny uses the Iron Fist on Luke which knocks Luke away and basically out. When we later see Luke he is wincing from face pain and putting ice on his face. Danny actually hurt him. Then he does it again later in the series.

message 40: by Rik (new)

Rik | 777 comments I overall enjoyed it. It was basically Daredevil, Iron Fist, and friends in terms of tone as the story mostly revolved around DD and Iron Fist with Luke and Jessica being there as support players.

I guess my main main problem was that Elektra (not a spoiler since if you've seen the trailers you know she's back and not on the Defenders side) was uneven in ability. She'd go from being able to hold off all four of them to being in a standstill with DD to back to being able to hold off all four of them.

But that was a minor quibble. It was cool to see everyone major again and to see them all get their cool character moments with their main supporting cast members (who mostly all show up).

And definitely some hints in the last episode to potential upcoming developments for certain characters to mirror comic book stuff.

message 41: by John (Taloni) (last edited Sep 02, 2017 10:27AM) (new)

John (Taloni) Taloni (johntaloni) | 3863 comments Finally watched it. Fairly decent for what it was, which is not really any iteration of the Defenders in the comics. More like Marvel Knights or Heroes Not Quite Yet For Hire. Anyhoo....(spoilers, I suppose)

(view spoiler)