The 1700-1939 Book Club! discussion

Evelina
This topic is about Evelina
Past Group Reads > Evelina by Frances Burney (Letters 29-56)

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jamie (new) - added it

Jamie  (jaymers8413) | 738 comments Mod
This is for the discussion of Evelina (Letters 29-56).

Suki St Charles (goodreadscomsuki_stcharles) | 10 comments I fell behind on my tbr, and I just finished Evelina today.

Wow! Women really didn't stand a chance in that society! "...I don't know what the devil a woman lives for after thirty: she is only in other folks' way." It is hard to believe that not so long ago we were mere property! I found it very disconcerting the way men felt free to address women, or physically restrain them. It was mind-boggling how the Captain assaulted Madame Duval, and there was no reprecussion for his actions. There are still shadows of this view of women in our society today, but at least we have gained some rights. I felt really sorry for Evelina when Lord Orville wanted to marry her, and she was torn between two fathers- she didn't even know which one would be in charge of dictating her future!

Overall, I enjoyed the book a lot. I was not surprised to find that Ms Burney was a major influence on Jane Austen- I am currently rereading Ms Austen's works, and I find their voices and humor to be quite similar, although Austen's male characters don't seem to be as brutal as Burney's.

message 3: by Jamie (last edited Jan 14, 2017 01:06PM) (new) - added it

Jamie  (jaymers8413) | 738 comments Mod
Suki wrote: "I fell behind on my tbr, and I just finished Evelina today.

Wow! Women really didn't stand a chance in that society! "...I don't know what the devil a woman lives for after thirty: she is only in ..."

Well I am further behind than you since I haven't even started. I think this book will be very insightful as to how the world was and what still needs to change. Thank you for sharing your thoughts. Every comment for this book makes me want to read it more and more!