Horror Aficionados discussion

Movies & Television > The Shining

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Myst (new)

Myst | 403 comments If anyone wants to see the re-made version of The Shining (1997), on tuesday the 18th on IFC they're showing it.

And on 10/17 on AMC the original 4 Omens will play. Not that awful remake.

message 2: by Mawr (new)

Mawr | 926 comments I just finished reading 'The Shining.' If anyone's interested, I wrote up an analysis of it on my blog: https://mawrgorshin.com/2016/10/09/an...

message 3: by Justin (new)

Justin (justinbienvenue) | 2849 comments The 1997 version is good but the original is a lot scarier and sinister. Also I find Steven Webers portrayal of Jack Torrance at times to be cheesy and cringe worthy.

message 4: by Steve (new)

Steve Parcell | 911 comments But equally Justin Rebecca de Mornay is much better than Shelley Duvall as Jack's wife.

message 5: by Justin (new)

Justin (justinbienvenue) | 2849 comments Oh my God yes! Night and day between the two, she's 100 times better than Shelley Duvall right you are.

message 6: by Latasha (new)

Latasha (latasha513) | 11046 comments Mod
I love them both.

message 7: by Myst (new)

Myst | 403 comments After watching the 1997 version (it was on a few days ago too), I really prefer the original. The remake just lacked any punch (probably due to it not being rated R).

The hotel didn't seem sinister, the spirits weren't all that threatening. And I didn't really see Jack having a slow slide into madness. He seemed normal 1 scene, then somewhat nutty, normal, slightly nutty etc. I never really saw him as truly crazy.

And 1 defense of Shelly Duvall's portrayal (not including that's what Kubrick wanted), you're a woman married to an alcoholic who has in the past hurt your child (and verbally abused her?) basically no link to civilization, and he's starting to act weird and/or like he did when he was drinking...who wouldn't be terrified knowing he could snap any day and no way to run.

message 8: by Squire (last edited Oct 11, 2016 11:26PM) (new)

Squire (srboone) | 814 comments I tend to think that the people who don't like Duvall's performance are trying to reconcile her performance with the character of Wendy in the book. But for the changes Kubrick made, Duvall was close to perfect. Duvall had a reputation as an unstable person anyway, and Kubrick wanted that for his movie. The fact that King lambasted her performance simply means that his expertise is writing novels, not making movies.

message 9: by K. D. (new)

K. D. (bookaholic_kd) I didn't even know there was a remake. I'm going to have to catch that second one to see if it lived up to the first.

message 10: by GracieKat (new)

GracieKat | 195 comments Justin wrote: "The 1997 version is good but the original is a lot scarier and sinister. Also I find Steven Webers portrayal of Jack Torrance at times to be cheesy and cringe worthy."

I was actually pretty pleasantly surprised by Steven Weber as Jack. It may not have been a perfect performance (I don't think either of them were, Nicholson seems batshit crazy from the get-go and Steven Weber was a bit hit and miss) but when i watched it i didn't think he could pull off scary at all. The only things I'd seen him in were comedies so i want sure he could do it at all but there were times when he was truly creepy and scary (imo).

Rebecca de Mornay was a much better Wendy (again imo). The boy (not sure of his name, Courtney?) Was an improvement on the first Danny but that may not have been the original Danny's fault since I've read that Kubrick didn't want him to know he was in a horror movie so that could account for his extreme flatness. I did like Scatman over Mario van Peebles though. It's a shame his part in the first movie was so reduced

message 11: by Justin (new)

Justin (justinbienvenue) | 2849 comments Gracie wrote: "Justin wrote: "The 1997 version is good but the original is a lot scarier and sinister. Also I find Steven Webers portrayal of Jack Torrance at times to be cheesy and cringe worthy."

I was actuall..."

I just couldn't take Steven Weber seriously as Jack, he was too toned down and when he was trying to be creepy or scary is was laughable at least to me. And yes Rebecca de Mornay as Wendy was miles ahead and an improvement than Shelly Duvall. The problem as many have stated already is that her character was changed by Kubrick because he liked Duvall but King couldn't stand her. Her portrayal in the movie is nothing like the character in the book yet de Mornay's portrayal is just as the character in the book. It's funny what can happen when you let the author keep their say.