Play Book Tag discussion

Waking the Merrow (Merrow Trilogy, #1)
This topic is about Waking the Merrow
Archive: Other Books > Waking the Merrow by Heather Rigney -- 4 stars

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7694 comments Waking the Merrow (Merrow Trilogy, #1) by Heather Rigney
4 stars

Waking the Merrow is my IRL book club selection for this month. Prior to it being nominated, I had never heard of the book or the author. A little background research showed that the author is a Rhode Island native who lives just down the way from me -- which I love -- but what really got me was the teaser from B&N Book Blog:

“You know what’s great about Rigney’s horror-ific (that’s horror-filled and terrific), hysterical debut novel? Besides the bloodthirsty merfolk, our antihero protagonist is an overweight, drunk, subpar mother, who also happens to be a funeral director. I can’t even describe the premise of this book without getting giddy, because how many times does a plot involve both vicious mermaids and Rhode Island colonists?”

HOLY CRAP! YES!

So, two things immediately happened: 1) I invited the author to the book club -- she immediately and graciously agreed! and 2) I got myself to a book signing with the author at a local brewery -- book and brews, y'all! -- and purchased a copy directly from her.

Then, I procrastinated on actually reading the book until this weekend, giving myself only 5 days to read the whole thing before discussing it with friends and the author.

I shouldn't have worried, I flew through it. I absolutely adored the Irish merrow folklore woven into Rhode Island colonial history that caught up with modern day in a less-than-perfect alcoholic mother whom I rooted for from start to finish.

I am definitely not claiming this was award winning literature, and I really wanted a bit more of the merrow folklore origins, but it is the first of a trilogy and you can bet that I will be reading the second one and keeping an out out for the third, which the author is currently writing.

What is better than finding a debut book from a local author? Finding that you actually LOVE the book and get to talk to her about it in less than a week.

message 2: by Amy (new)

Amy | 8282 comments How absolutely fun!

message 3: by Tracy (new)

Tracy (tstan) | 1182 comments How cool is that?! Have a wonderful time at book club- sounds like a great time will be had!

message 4: by Regina Lindsey (new)

Regina Lindsey | 1005 comments Ha! When I was in a IRL book club I chose Moloka'i and asked him to call. He did and it was so cool! How much better to have the author there in person.

Now, if only you could get Nora, eh?

message 5: by Booknblues (new)

Booknblues | 5496 comments Sounds like fun.