50 books to read before you die discussion

For Whom the Bell Tolls
This topic is about For Whom the Bell Tolls
Book Discussions - 100 list > For Whom the Bell Tolls

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Siarhei (theuchau2u) | 46 comments What's about to discuss Hemingway stories about "lost generation"? This stories are very good as psychotherapy for myself.

Buck (spectru) For Whom the Bell Tolls is my favorite Hemingway.

Siarhei (theuchau2u) | 46 comments Buck, for what for do you like "For Whom the Bell Tolls"?

Have you experienced that people are always presented with some fortune, luck, but lately it will be gone and make them lost in life again? It shocks me all the time, and make quite sentimental, you accept everything as it is and seem to be satisfied and happy, though for a short period of time. Books are good, but it is still a fiction.

Buck (spectru) Hemingway is The Great American Writer. I've read several of his books. His style is recognizable. A Farewell to Arms and The Old Man and the Sea are also especially good. I just happen to like For Whom the Bell Tolls, best. One of the reasons I read it is that the protagonist, an American in the Spanish civil war, has the same name as I do. My given name is Robert Jordan. Buck is a nick name.

For Whom the Bell Tolls is a powerful story of war, and love, and sacrifice. I saw the famous movie starring Gary Cooper and Ingrid Bergman,after reading the book. I think the book enhanced the movie for me. Anyway, I can't really say why For Whom the Bell Tolls is my favorite Hemingway, but it is.

By the way, I was disappointed in Men Without Women, the Hemingway entry on our list of 50. It was very puzzling to me why it was listed instead of one of the three novels I mentioned above.