Catholic Thought discussion

Silence by Shūsaku Endō > Reading Schedule for Silence

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Manny (new)

Manny (virmarl) | 4012 comments Mod
Hi folks.

I'm ready to set up a reading schedule. First I'd like the weekly reading schedule to start on a Saturday, which helps me out personally, if that's OK. Second I broke the weekly reading into about 40 page bites. That shouldn't be stressful, do you think? It then works out to five weeks of reading. Here's what I'd like as a week by week plan:

22 – 28 October: Translator’s Preface, Prologue, and Chapters 1 and 2.
29 Oct – 4 Nov: Chapters 3 and 4.
5 – 11 Nov: Chapters 5 and 6.
12 – 18 Nov: Chapters 7 and 8.
19 – 24 Nov: Chapters 9, 10, and the Appendix.

We conclude then right around Thanksgiving. If that is difficult for anyone, let me know. We're still a couple of weeks away.

I'll post an introduction shortly. Silence is an historical novel, and when I first read it I knew nothing of the history. I remember it taking me a little bit to get oriented. The Translator's Preface provides some history but it took a little bit to sink in - maybe a few chapters - which made me have to go back and restart. I can provide that orientation.

Looking forward to this. :)

message 2: by Irene (new)

Irene | 909 comments 40 pages is more than reasonable.
One question, are we reading intro, prologue, etc Oct 22-28 and discussing on Oct. 28 or are we discussing Oct. 22 with the understanding that we will have those sections read by that date?

message 3: by Manny (new)

Irene wrote: "40 pages is more than reasonable.
One question, are we reading intro, prologue, etc Oct 22-28 and discussing on Oct. 28 or are we discussing Oct. 22 with the understanding that we will have those ..."

Good question Irene. I hadn't given it any thought. What did we do in the past? I don't remember. What would you prefer?

message 4: by Susan Margaret (new)

Susan Margaret (susanmargaretg) | 538 comments Manny wrote: "Irene wrote: "40 pages is more than reasonable.
One question, are we reading intro, prologue, etc Oct 22-28 and discussing on Oct. 28 or are we discussing Oct. 22 with the understanding that we wi..."

Each section should be read prior to the start of the discussion date. For example: Intro and prologue, etc should be read before oct 22.

message 5: by Manny (new)

Susan Margaret wrote: "Manny wrote: "Irene wrote: "40 pages is more than reasonable.
One question, are we reading intro, prologue, etc Oct 22-28 and discussing on Oct. 28 or are we discussing Oct. 22 with the understand..."

Ah, thanks Susan. So the time span is when we discuss what we have read. I better get going then. I just shorted myself a week...LOL.

message 6: by Kristen (new)

Kristen | 55 comments Thanks Manny for organizing the read. Really looking forward to the discussions.

message 7: by Irene (new)

Irene | 909 comments Thanks for that clarification.