flight paths discussion

What are you reading? > oh October

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Magdelanye, Senior Flight Attendant (new)

Magdelanye | 2262 comments apologies to those who care, for being late with this posting. Oddly, I just forgot about it. Tonight, noting that no one has posted for a while, and suddenly it popped onto my head, oh oh

message 2: by Magdelanye, Senior Flight Attendant (new)

Magdelanye | 2262 comments really enjoying the blue light project by timothy Taylor
wrestling with Priscilla Uppal s short stories
and have fallen in love with Eve Eisler
Her powerful memoir
In the body of the world

message 3: by Ellie (new)

Ellie (elliearcher) | 1226 comments I love Eve Eisler-don't know the others. You have such interesting choices-I always learn something.

I'm indulging in my guilty pleasure: the latest in the Dublin Murder Squad series, The Trespasser by Tana French. I love the locale-Ireland-and I love her characters. The mysteries are not bad either but that's not the reason I love her so much.

Also reading Roxane Gay's collection of stories, Difficult Women. They live up to their name, except it's not the women that are difficult but their lives and the world they live in (our world).

message 4: by Petra (last edited Oct 09, 2016 09:41AM) (new)

Petra | 787 comments I care and am glad to see this posting. :D

I finished reading the first of The Memory of Fire trilogy, Genesis, by Eduardo Galeano in the first days of October. It's pretty much a September read, though. I enjoyed it and will continue with the trilogy but need a break from the atrocities.
I've also finished Tricks Every Boy Can Do, a GR Giveaway win. It's a warm story with nice characters. It's a bit choppy, though, in that years pass and relationships change between chapters. An easy, enjoyable enough read if looking for something to pass the time (beach, airport, etc).
I'm about to finish Sharp Objects. I don't think I'll read any other of Gillian Flynn's books. One never knows but I can't see that happening.

I haven't heard of Eve Eisler. Her writing sounds interesting.

I have the first of Tana French's books still sitting on my bookshelf. I keep meaning to start reading it. Maybe I should.

message 5: by Ellie (new)

Ellie (elliearcher) | 1226 comments Petra wrote: "I care and am glad to see this posting. :D

I finished reading the first of The Memory of Fire trilogy, Genesis, by Eduardo Galeano in the first days of October. It's..."

I enjoy Gillian Flynn but my feeling is once you've read one of her books you've pretty much read them all.

I hope you do read and enjoy the French. The first is not the best but I still liked it a lot.

message 6: by Magdelanye, Senior Flight Attendant (new)

Magdelanye | 2262 comments @Petra and Ellie
very nice to hear from both of you. Had quite a bit of fun following up a few of the titles, finding some great reviews and discovering a couple of interesting people and new titles. I guess I have been living under a rock according to one reviewer, because even tho I had made a casual note of her, I was unaware of her as a phenomenon with so many titles.
Eve Eisler came to my attention years ago, I even saw the vagina monologued, but it took this memoir to really get to me.

message 7: by Magdelanye, Senior Flight Attendant (new)

Magdelanye | 2262 comments ACH, can't edit on the mobile...I was referring to Roxanne gay in my first comment, and to the gaetan in the second
Petra are you planning on going to any of the van writers festival?

message 8: by ❀ Susan (new)

❀ Susan G (susanayearofbooksblogcom) | 55 comments Just completed my "trip" to South Africa reading The Power of One. it was a terrific book and it was enhanced by our book club talk which included a presentation about SA and a slide show of a friends month long trip to SA complete with tastings of biltong (dried meat) and some chocolate bars unique to SA.

message 9: by Ellie (new)

Ellie (elliearcher) | 1226 comments ❀ Susan wrote: "Just completed my "trip" to South Africa reading The Power of One. it was a terrific book and it was enhanced by our book club talk which included a presentation about SA and a slide sho..."

I looked up The Power of One and it looks fascinating (put it on my list).

I just finished the Roxane Gay: what a very powerful collection! I can't say I "loved it" exactly, it was too painful for that but I'm so glad I read it.

I'm completely in love with my current book, Margaret Atwood's latest, Hag-Seed. It uses one of my favorite Shakespeare plays, The Tempest, and has a wonderful theme of revenge (I didn't know I had it in me to enjoy vengeance so much!) and is all involved in the world of theater in Canada. Everything about it is wonderful.

message 10: by Ellie (new)

Ellie (elliearcher) | 1226 comments Just went and bought the Eisler: I can't wait to read it.

message 11: by Ice, Pilgrim (new)

Ice Bear (neilar) | 747 comments Have returned a few books lighter (left in the library), Have been reading Martin Beck series from Maj Sjöwall.
Have also reached the probable end of Erlendur Indridason, Arnaldur before the series gets translated at the start point.

message 12: by Magdelanye, Senior Flight Attendant (new)

Magdelanye | 2262 comments @susan...nice to see you here! re the power of one, it was one of the most loved ( and sold) books in the store when I worked there and long on my must check this out list.

@ Ellie, seems you are on a Canadian roll.And here you are, surrounded by Canadians!

@Petra and Susan, please feel free to explore other threads and comment as well. I'm sure you will have some insightful thoughts and I'm also interested in your choice process.

message 13: by Magdelanye, Senior Flight Attendant (new)

Magdelanye | 2262 comments @ ice bear, welcome back!
@ellie strongly recommending the blue light project to you. should be available in the library.

message 14: by Petra (new)

Petra | 787 comments Susan, that sounds like a perfect evening and a great setting to talk about The Power of One. That's a great Book Club event.

I'm glad you enjoyed the book. It made me a Bryce Courtenay fan. Another book you'll enjoy since you liked this one is Whitethorn.
Other of his books I enjoyed were The Potato Factory (the first of a trilogy; all good) and Brother Fish.
So many good books, too little time.

Ellie, Margaret Atwood's latest book sounds great. Thanks!

Magdelanye, I haven't made plans to go to the Writer's Fest. I probably won't make it. It's quite a drive for me.

message 15: by Magdelanye, Senior Flight Attendant (new)

Magdelanye | 2262 comments @Petra
yes its a long way to go for me too and it means arranging to sleep over, which is not always possible. The big draw for me would be to hear
Cordelia Strube and Emma D.

Ellie and Susan, you are both lucky to have regular access to author events in your cities. Still, I do prefer the boonies and we do get some good stuff.

message 16: by Ellie (new)

Ellie (elliearcher) | 1226 comments Magdelanye wrote: "@Petra
yes its a long way to go for me too and it means arranging to sleep over, which is not always possible. The big draw for me would be to hear
Cordelia Strube and Emma D.

Ellie and Susan, y..."

My current dream is to retire to Vancouver. The problem is it may be too expensive for my pension so I may have to stick to New Mexico. I would like to be somewhere more quiet than the Bronx. And it gets harder and harder for me to get to author events in Manhattan. They're farther than you'd think by train and all. Or more likely, I'm just getting old. I don't hear about stuff as much as I did when I was in the city (except when my friend is doing poetry readings).

message 17: by ❀ Susan (new)

❀ Susan G (susanayearofbooksblogcom) | 55 comments @Magdelanye - Yes, I am lucky to be within an hour of Toronto but only tend to travel there if it is a big event as I don't like to drive there and it is time consuming to take transit and get home very late. We have been very privileged to have many book events in small communities in Southern Ontario and i am always on the look out.

message 18: by Magdelanye, Senior Flight Attendant (new)

Magdelanye | 2262 comments @Ellie....guess you will need to come and check it out! Vancouver that is. That's a couple of hours away from where I am living! let me know!
@Susan...you do seem to be in the zone!

message 19: by Magdelanye, Senior Flight Attendant (new)

Magdelanye | 2262 comments finished Dogs at the Perimeter by M Thien.
what an exquisitely written, excruciating book.
it made everything else I was reading seem flat or beside the point. I took a reading break for the rest of the day and then spent some time on my notes.
Before retiring, I chose a book high on mount tbr and maybe it was unfair to the book, maybe whatever I read would seem flimsy, but i after a brisk start I am so bored by Zoe Whittall that I put
down Holding still as long as possible to write this and read the reviews.