World, Writing, Wealth discussion

All Things Writing & Publishing > Nanowrimo, 2016: Anyone joining?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 99 (99 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Alex (new)

Alex (asato) Start your caffeinated biological engines; plug in those power adapters.

http://nanowrimo.org/press

message 2: by Zee (new)

Zee Monodee (zee_monodee) | 0 comments I planned to join this year, but now have a slew of editing work that will run well into November, so no can do.

message 3: by M.L. (new)

M.L. Probably not this year. I'm working on something. But I have done it and it's fun. I think it's what, 50K words? I did it at 60K and it's good to write on without stopping, editing.

message 4: by Alex (new)

Alex (asato) M.L. Roberts wrote: "Probably not this year. I'm working on something. But I have done it and it's fun. I think it's what, 50K words? I did it at 60K and it's good to write on without stopping, editing."

did you do an outline before starting?

message 5: by Segilola (new)

Segilola Salami (segilolasalami) | 405 comments any particular advantage to taking part? other than writing non stop

message 6: by Marie Silk (new)

Marie Silk | 1020 comments Doh, I don't get it. What is going on exactly?

message 7: by Alex (new)

Alex (asato) Marie wrote: "Doh, I don't get it. What is going on exactly?"

basically, it's an educational way to get people to write their stories. if you're stuck in writer's block, then it might be a good way to get out of it.

(Marie: you don't have to even think about this event. ;) )

message 8: by Marie Silk (new)

Marie Silk | 1020 comments Aw, haha, thanks for clarifying :)

message 9: by Zee (new)

Zee Monodee (zee_monodee) | 0 comments Alex G wrote: "M.L. Roberts wrote: "Probably not this year. I'm working on something. But I have done it and it's fun. I think it's what, 50K words? I did it at 60K and it's good to write on without stopping, edi..."

The year I took part (and won!), I did use an outline. I basically knew the characters, and plotted out the chapters in bit-size scenes, so I just had to go in every day and write. I didn't do it literally every day - maybe Mon-Fri. Weekends were family time as my boys are home on summer break November and December so we're almost never home on weekends.
But this way allowed me to get 78K written in about 25 days - I had my word count verified on Nov 25th itself and it validated for 78K.

An outline is a big help, because then you know where you're going and what you're doing and it removes the 'what if' factor - at least it did for me, allowing me to just focus on progressing the story forward.

Leviathan Libraries (leviathanlibraries) My writing ability is somewhere around "See Spot. See Spot run. See Spot run from zombie dogs out to nom his tasty insides. See Spot die." So........ nope. LOL

message 11: by M.L. (new)

M.L. Alex G wrote: "M.L. Roberts wrote: "Probably not this year. I'm working on something. But I have done it and it's fun. I think it's what, 50K words? I did it at 60K and it's good to write on without stopping, edi..."

No, I didn't use an outline (I think I'm outline averse). I had an idea and it was something I thought would make a cool story, angle on a story, so just powered on through, no revising or anything. It's a tight timeline so good to finish before Thanksgiving, which I did.

Are you going to do NaNo?

message 12: by Alex (new)

Alex (asato) M.L. Roberts wrote: "No, I didn't use an outline (I think I'm outline averse). I had an idea and it was something I thought would make a cool story, angle on a story, so just powered on through, no revising or anything. It's a tight timeline so good to finish before Thanksgiving, which I did.

Are you going to do NaNo?"

i might do it as a way to jumpstart getting back into expanding my horror short into a novelette.

message 13: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Thyssen (rachelthijssen) | 18 comments I might use NaNoWriMo to finish my fantasy novel. But I'm still a freaking student so I have little time.
Ugh, all I ask is for time to read, write and edit. Too much to ask? *laughs while crying*

message 14: by J.D. (new)

J.D. Cunegan (jdcunegan) | 62 comments I've attempted every NaNo since 2008 and "won" in 2014 and 2015 (in fact, those two NaNo projects became two of my three published novels, Bounty and Behind the Badge). I was going back and forth on whether or not I'd try it this year, but I've decided to give it a go again. There's a fantasy epic I've been trying to get off the ground for a while, and I'm thinking NaNo might just be the kick in the pants I need. If I can knock out a first draft in November, that would be great.

message 15: by Alex (new)

Alex (asato) J.D. wrote: "I've attempted every NaNo since 2008 and "won" in 2014 and 2015 (in fact, those two NaNo projects became two of my three published novels, Bounty and Behind the Badge). I was going back and forth o..."

go J.D.!
go Rachel!

message 16: by M.L. (new)

M.L. Yay! go for it! Maybe I will too. I just followed @NaNoWriMo on Twitter - good way to get in the grove.

message 17: by Melonie (new)

Melonie Purcell | 14 comments Lilyn G. (Scifi and Scary) wrote: "My writing ability is somewhere around "See Spot. See Spot run. See Spot run from zombie dogs out to nom his tasty insides. See Spot die." So........ nope. LOL"

I've read some books like that. Just saying...

message 18: by Alex (last edited Oct 11, 2016 09:57PM) (new)

Alex (asato) Zee wrote: "An outline is a big help, because then you know where you're going and what you're doing and it removes the 'what if' factor - at least it did for me, allowing me to just focus on progressing the story forward."

definitely, i need an outline. i guess that i've got a few weeks to come up w/one, but i'm only shooting for 17,500 and i've already written 7,500. i could be unofficially in nanowrimo.

M.L. Roberts wrote: "Yay! go for it! Maybe I will too. I just followed @NaNoWriMo on Twitter - good way to get in the grove."

maybe we should start a thread when we start on 1 November?

J.D? Rachel?

message 19: by M.L. (last edited Oct 12, 2016 08:08AM) (new)

M.L. Sure, or keep this one since the conversation is already going. I get emails from them through the year and today got one, you can reserve a 'winner's tee shirt. :) It's for completing the word count. The pep talks are fun too. Erin Morgenstern started what became her phenom debut novel doing NaNo, The Night Circus and she did a pep talk. Pep talks also by Brandon Sanderson, Christopher Paolini. It's good reading if you like to read other authors on writing.

message 20: by Kent (new)

Kent Babin | 176 comments I'm trying to convince a friend who has wanted to write a novel for years that NaNoWriMo is the perfect chance for her to get one done. We're currently working on the outline. If she goes through with it, it'll be crime fiction set in Cairo.

I'd do it myself if I wasn't knee-deep in the plot for my second novel.

Good luck to all those that participate!

Alex ~They/them~ ~Annabeth Chase and Alex Fierro are the best~ (percybluefood) | 145 comments well, at least I want to do Nanowrimo this year, but I'll also be a little busy with senior year, but I will do it whenever I can, I want to try and publish my books sometime next year before I graduate from High School.

Leviathan Libraries (leviathanlibraries) You know what, actually, I think I will be joining. Maybe, even if it sucks, writing down the story that's been stuck in my head for six bleeping years will get it to go away.

message 24: by Alex (last edited Oct 13, 2016 09:30AM) (new)

Alex (asato) Yay! Lilyn and Hermione (aka Kavy).

maybe, Kent, your friend would join us all too? ;)

crime fiction in an exotic location sounds quite marketable.

As M.L. suggested, let's just keep this thread to keep each other apprised of our progress or any other tidbits of conversation to keep ourselves motivated.

M.L. pointed out the following resource:
@NaNoWriMo on Twitter

I'll try to look up some more tonight but meanwhile if anyone else as others to add (besides nanowrimo.org) please do so. ;)

message 25: by Alex (new)

Alex (asato) i've been waiting for Self-Editing for Fiction Writers: How to Edit Yourself Into Print and finally got it yesterday! i'm going to start applying this right now and get ready for nanowrimo.

(someone in the group--speak up! ;) --recommended it to me and i read about 10 or 20 pages before returning it to the library and buying it. it is chock-full of really down-to-earth and specific technical recommendations, so i think that this is really going to power up my writing!)

message 26: by Denise (new)

Denise Baer I won't be taking part in it this year. I'm still in the revision stage of my manuscript.

Next Wednesday, I'm posting Preparations for National Novel Writing Month. I participated in 2008 and 2014, so I'm giving advice regarding it.

Best of luck to all joining this year.

message 27: by Zee (new)

Zee Monodee (zee_monodee) | 0 comments So, we keeping this thread for Nano 2016 progress? :)

I am gonna be in unofficially, to finish a 35-40K French translation, so could use such a thread here

Leviathan Libraries (leviathanlibraries) I have premise, protagonist, major conflict, etc. all laid out.

I've got a few scene sketches.

And I was doing research yesterday on schizophrenia since that's what the main character has been diagnosed with.

I hope that's enough to get me started. Otherwise I"m screwed. LOL

message 29: by Denise (new)

Denise Baer Lilyn G. (Scifi and Scary) wrote: "I have premise, protagonist, major conflict, etc. all laid out.

I've got a few scene sketches.

And I was doing research yesterday on schizophrenia since that's what the main character has been d..."

Lilyn, you have more than I had when I attempted it both years. All I had were a few character names and a premise for the story. I'm also a pranster writer, so that wasn't so bad.

Best of luck!

message 30: by Alex (new)

Alex (asato) Denise wrote: Lilyn, you have more than I had when I attempted it both years. All I had were a few character names and a premise for the story."

i agree. sound great, Lilyn!

Zee wrote: "So, we keeping this thread for Nano 2016 progress? :)

I am gonna be in unofficially, to finish a 35-40K French translation, so could use such a thread here"

yes, this will be our running thread.

in other news, i just had an epiphany for a new horror story. all my stories so far have taken place in the San Francisco Bay Area, so this one will too. (thinking out loud) i'm torn b/w starting on this new one for nanowrimo, working on my expanding my current one, or working on both. over the next 2 weeks, i think that i'll outline them both, come up w/two blurbs and see what i think.

message 31: by Alex (new)

Alex (asato) or maybe it will be very gory urban fantasy.

message 32: by J.D. (new)

J.D. Cunegan (jdcunegan) | 62 comments In case anyone's interested, here's my 2016 NaNo project:

https://jdcuneganbooks.wordpress.com/...

message 33: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Thyssen (rachelthijssen) | 18 comments Anyone want to be my writing buddy btw? Here's the link to my NaNo project :) http://nanowrimo.org/participants/rac...

Leviathan Libraries (leviathanlibraries) Alex G wrote: "or maybe it will be very gory urban fantasy."

I like both! As long as there's no sparkly vampires or hot werewolves, it sounds fantastic.

Leviathan Libraries (leviathanlibraries) Rachel wrote: "Anyone want to be my writing buddy btw? Here's the link to my NaNo project :) http://nanowrimo.org/participants/rac..."

I added you - though different user name on Nano. (Novel title: The Veil.)

message 36: by Zee (new)

Zee Monodee (zee_monodee) | 0 comments Lilyn G. (Scifi and Scary) wrote: "Alex G wrote: "or maybe it will be very gory urban fantasy."

I like both! As long as there's no sparkly vampires or hot werewolves, it sounds fantastic."

Haha! I'm with Lilyn :)

Lilyn - the most important thing now is to start - so go for it!

message 37: by Alex (last edited Oct 27, 2016 11:50PM) (new)

Alex (asato) Denise wrote: "I won't be taking part in it this year. I'm still in the revision stage of my manuscript.

Next Wednesday, I'm posting Preparations for National Novel Writing Month. I participated in 2008 and 201..."

Is it live?

i signed up: alexgsato
added Rachel

message 38: by Denise (new)

Denise Baer Alex G wrote: "Denise wrote: "I won't be taking part in it this year. I'm still in the revision stage of my manuscript.

Next Wednesday, I'm posting Preparations for National Novel Writing Month. I participated ..."

Yes! http://baerbookspress.com/writing/preparations-for-national-novel-writing-month/

message 39: by Alex (new)

Alex (asato) Denise wrote: "Alex G wrote: "Denise wrote: "I won't be taking part in it this year. I'm still in the revision stage of my manuscript.

Next Wednesday, I'm posting Preparations for National Novel Writing Month. ..."

it's inspiring that your nanowrimo 50k work turned into your novel, Net Switch. your closing encouragement is key for me: "Let it sit for a week or two, go treat yourself to something special, and then start revising." (emphasis mine)

message 40: by Denise (new)

Denise Baer Alex G wrote: "Denise wrote: "Alex G wrote: "Denise wrote: "I won't be taking part in it this year. I'm still in the revision stage of my manuscript.

Next Wednesday, I'm posting Preparations for National Novel ..."

I wish you the best, Alex. I'm going to keep checking here to see how everyone is doing. I'm also registered on NaNoWriMo as writerlydreamz. I sometimes check into there to see how everyone is doing even though I'm not participating.

message 41: by M.L. (new)

M.L. Good luck everyone! I think the key is to keep writing, don't worry about editing. There is a teacher on Twitter who had a note up for class "Good-bye inner editor" - it's a good way to approach it.

message 42: by J.D. (new)

J.D. Cunegan (jdcunegan) | 62 comments M.L. wrote: "Good luck everyone! I think the key is to keep writing, don't worry about editing. There is a teacher on Twitter who had a note up for class "Good-bye inner editor" - it's a good way to approach it."

Editing is what December is for.

message 43: by Graeme (new)

Graeme Rodaughan Not one for me, I'll pass.

Good luck to all those who give it a go.

message 44: by M.L. (new)

M.L. Start your engines! NaNo has been tweeting like crazy!

message 45: by M.L. (new)

M.L. I signed up this evening! It's so much fun. I started my novel. :)

message 46: by Alex (new)

Alex (asato) Ugh! I was reading publishing 101 over the wkend and didn't write my outline.

message 47: by J. (new)

J. (jguenther) | 46 comments Nope. I have a half dozen novels in various states of completion and my time would be better spent getting one of those ready for publication.

message 48: by M.L. (new)

M.L. Alex G wrote: "Ugh! I was reading publishing 101 over the wkend and didn't write my outline."

How about without an outline? It's a good way to just write. The focus on writing this amount of words in this amount of time clears the air from all the political build up!

message 49: by Alex (new)

Alex (asato) M.L. Roberts wrote: "How about without an outline? It's a good way to just write. The focus on writing this amount of words in this amount of time clears the air from all the political build up! "

IKR. just get in the zone and don't click the news link. maybe i'll be able to work on a rough outline tonight.

message 50: by Denise (new)

Denise Baer Alex, I received your buddy email and I added you too. It's okay if you don't have an outline. Go with your idea and let it play out on paper. Best of luck to you!

« previous 1