NZ Intermediate School Librarians discussion

The War That Saved My Life (The War That Saved My Life, #1)
This topic is about The War That Saved My Life
Books for Yr 7/8 students (2017) > The War that saved my life

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Gillian (new)

Gillian Ross | 17 comments A young disabled girl and her brother are evacuated from London to the English countryside during World War II, where they find life to be much sweeter away from their abusive mother.
This book is very popular with our Year 7/8 girls particularly and also with our staff. I highly recommend it along with her other titles 'Jefferson's Sons', The Lacemaker and the Princess and For Freedom:the story of a French spy. Really exciting historical fiction for Intermediate readers.

message 2: by Joanna (new)

Joanna | 14 comments I too, loved this one. Boys will take it as a recommendation though tend not to self-select it.

message 3: by Sharon (new)

Sharon Phillips | 16 comments Reminded me of Goodnight Mister Tom

Nova | 1 comments I am reading this to a year 7/8 class and they are loving it.

message 5: by Kimberley (new)

Kimberley Atkinson | 2 comments Book of the year for me so far. Just not too sure about the cover for my Pasifika students as it looks so old fashioned. Will do lots of book talks and a few class read alouds.

Penny | 25 comments Brilliant read... loved it...

Linley | 5 comments I read this one at the end of last year and would highly recommend it. NZ kids won't relate to a UK girl of the 1940's very easily but they should get the gist and hopefully love the way the horse helps. Better for Y8 and older. Compares to Goodnight Mister Tom. Lovely ending.