Play Book Tag discussion

Britt-Marie Was Here
This topic is about Britt-Marie Was Here
Archive: Other Books > Britt-Marie Was Here by Fredrik Backman 3.5 stars

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Karin | 7000 comments 3.5 stars rounded up

When Britt-Marie left her home late in My Grandmother Told Me to Tell You She's Sorry (no, you don't have to read that one first, as she is not a major character, although we know why she leaves then), we had no idea where she went. Now we do, to Borg, because she got a job there.

Britt-Marie needs every thing clean, neat and organized and her meals right on the dot, and so when she arrives at the Recreational Centre in Borg for her new job, she immediately starts setting it right, but not just it, her order spills over. She, who has never liked soccer, becomes a soccer coach, makes new friends and not only her life, but theirs feel the impact of this growing friendship. It's about time she left that two-timing Kent, but it's been decades since she's done anything on her own.

For the first half of the book it wasn't quite 3.5 stars and I planned to round down, but, like with A Man Called Ove, she and the others grew on me in the second half of the book and I began to enjoy this book more. I still like My Grandmother Asked Me to Tell You She's Sorry the best.

message 2: by Booknblues (new)

Booknblues | 5767 comments I need to read this and My Grandmother. I loved Ove so much.

Denizen (den13) | 1138 comments I also want to read another Backman. I haven't decided if I want to read this one or My Grandmother next.

Karin | 7000 comments Denizen wrote: "I also want to read another Backman. I haven't decided if I want to read this one or My Grandmother next."

They are quite different books. My Grandmother introduces Britt-Marie as she is a character in that book, although not the protagonist. However, My Grandmother is a very different sort of story than Ove or Britt-Marie which have far more in common. Be prepared in My Grandmother for a precocious child who has been told important information that has been embedded in fairy tales her grandmother has told her because she was so little (that's not a full spoiler by any means, but so many people seem to not like that part but it makes perfect sense given Elsa's age).