Rasputin: The Untold Story
This topic is about Rasputin
Rasputin: The Untold Story, by Joseph T. Fuhrmann

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Manda (bookwenchmanda) | 1094 comments Rasputin: The Untold Story
Rasputin The Untold Story by Joseph T. Fuhrmann

GR synopsis:
Based on new sources—the definitive biography of Rasputin, with revelations about his life, death, and involvement with the Romanovs. A century after his death, Grigory Rasputin remains fascinating: the Russian peasant with hypnotic eyes who befriended Tsar Nicholas II and helped destroy the Russian Empire, but the truth about his strange life has never fully been told. Written by the world's leading authority on Rasputin, this new biography draws on previously closed Soviet archives to offer new information on Rasputin's relationship with Empress Alexandra, sensational revelations about his sexual conquests, a re-examination of his murder, and more.

Based on long-closed Soviet archives and the author's decades of research, encompassing sources ranging from baptismal records and forgotten police reports to notes written by Rasputin and personal letters
Reveals new information on Rasputin's family history and strange early life, religious beliefs, and multitudinous sexual adventures as well as his relationship with Empress Alexandra, ability to heal the haemophiliac tsarevich, and more
Includes many previously unpublished photos, including contemporary studio photographs of Rasputin and samples of his handwriting
Written by historian Joesph T. Fuhrmann, a Rasputin expert whose 1990 biography Rasputin: A Life was widely praised as the best on the subject
Synthesizing archival sources with published documents, memoirs, and other studies of Rasputin into a single, comprehensive work, Rasputin: The Untold Story will correct a century's worth of misconception and error about the life and death of the famous Siberian mystic and healer and the decline and fall of Imperial Russia.

I am going to start reading this either later tonight or tomorrow, whenever I finish the current book I am on. I will be reading it for my 2016 PopSugar Challenge, a political memoir. This isn't the traditional political memoir I would normally read, but right now, I am tired of American politics, and am finding this a perfect time to learn more about a very scandalous time for the Russian Government. I know very little about the events surrounding Rasputin and The Romanov's.; what little my history classes glossed over, and of course, from a childhood favorite movie, Anastasia ... because I'm sure that was historically accurate *sarcasm*

message 2: by Rachel (new) - added it

Rachel A. (abyssallibrarian) | 2672 comments I'm interested in seeing what you think of it. I was considering it for my political memoir also. Rasputin's always been an interesting figure.

Manda (bookwenchmanda) | 1094 comments Rachel wrote: "I'm interested in seeing what you think of it. I was considering it for my political memoir also. Rasputin's always been an interesting figure."

Great! I just started this one a bit ago. So far it's a bit dry, but it's a lot of family history - X begot Y, and Y begot Z, and so on. I'm hoping this is only temporary.

message 4: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) Rachel wrote: "I'm interested in seeing what you think of it. I was considering it for my political memoir also. Rasputin's always been an interesting figure."

It's not a memoir unless it's written by the person it's about.

Manda (bookwenchmanda) | 1094 comments Kirsten, you are correct. However, I took the opportunity to be flexible with the topic and to read about something I know little about and that interested me, rather than pick something that fit the prompt perfectly and that held zero interest for me. The beauty of the challenges is that they offer the flexibility to each participant to mold them to what works best for them. In this case, I felt the political aspect was more important than the memoir aspect. As it is written by a historian, he does come with some credibility over a Joe Schmo who one day woke up and decided to write about Rasputin.

message 6: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) Yes. I just said something because many people have trouble understanding the distinction between memoir, autobiography, and biography.

I agree that Rasputin is a fascinating character.

message 7: by Rachel (new) - added it

Rachel A. (abyssallibrarian) | 2672 comments It's good to know, since I am one of the ones who has trouble understanding the difference. I'm with Manda that I'd rather read something that interests me even if it requires a little flexibility, although in this case, I decided to go with I Am Malala for the political memoir prompt.

message 8: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) Good for you, Rachel! I think Malala is such a good choice. She shows up what it means to be a good human being. I also really respect her parents for raising such an upstanding young person under such difficult circumstances.

message 9: by Rachel (new) - added it

Rachel A. (abyssallibrarian) | 2672 comments Kirsten *Dogs Welcome - People Tolerated" wrote: "Good for you, Rachel! I think Malala is such a good choice. She shows up what it means to be a good human being. I also really respect her parents for raising such an upstanding young person under ..."

I was super hesitant to read it just because it seemed to be the one book that everyone was choosing for that prompt, and in general, I tend to avoid books that I find overhyped.

But in any case, I would love to read the Rasputin book at some point and I'll probably try to fit it in somewhere in my rejects challenge or maybe next year's challenges.

message 10: by Laura, Celestial Sphere Mod (new)

Laura | 3821 comments Mod
Manda, I think that's a good interpretation of the prompt. I'm also doing the Popsugar challenge but I don't plan on completing it this year. It's one of the prompts I'm less excited about so I may have to go with your idea ;)

Manda (bookwenchmanda) | 1094 comments Thanks, Laura. I try to be strict with the prompts, but I do allow myself some leniency in a few cases where I know it will be more beneficial to my "reading health".

I just finished Rasputin's Untold Story. It's really informative and filled with a lot of information. A lot of good information. But for the love of Jebus, is it dry. This makes saltines seem soggy. I appreciated the full view of Rasputin, his life before, during, and after the Romanov's, and also his personal and professional relationships. I just wish there was a better way Fuhrmann could have delivered all the information.

Basically, Rasputin was a smart, manipulative, and sketchy person who knew how to work the political system and get what he needed and where he wanted to be in the system.

3/5