Reading Tea Leaves discussion

Introductions > Say Hello!

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nicole (last edited Oct 08, 2016 05:18PM) (new)

Nicole Wilson (teaformeplease) | 19 comments Mod
Hi everyone! Please use this thread to introduce yourselves to the group.

I'll start with why I started this group and tell you a bit about myself. For a while I've been following Emma Watson's feminism book club here on Good Reads (https://www.goodreads.com/group/show/...) and kept thinking, "Why isn't there something like this about tea?". The idea escaped me for a while but the other night I couldn't sleep and it popped back into my head. I tweeted about it and was surprised to find that lots of people expressed interest in participating.

Some of you might already know me from my blog, Tea for Me Please (http://www.teaformeplease.com). I've been drinking tea and writing about it for many years. Part of that time has been spent reading every tea book that I could get my hands on. Outside of tea...there's really just more tea, lol. I work at Teavana for my day job but on rare days off I like playing Pokemon Go with my very understanding fiance. Looking forward to getting to know all of you!

message 2: by Darlene (new)

Darlene | 1 comments Hello, My name is Darlene. Thank you Nicole for starting this group! I'm a passionate tea lover. I started collecting tea books many years ago and have a tea library containing over 500 books about tea. Every topic you can imagine from history, education, tea ware to children books and everything in between. This is why I'm so excited about joining Tea Leaves. I look forward to sharing tea reading suggestions.

message 3: by Robert (new)

Robert Godden | 1 comments At this stage I'm sure we all know each other..bu... I'm Robert. I fall in to the avid reader and author categories. Also a tea vendor. I will most likely break the rules at some point, because I'm Australian.

message 4: by Nicole (new)

I'm just commenting to bump this topic so it will show up for new members :)

message 5: by Xavier (new)

Xavier | 5 comments Hi, I am Xavier. And if Robert breaks the rules, I will for sure break them more than him because I am ...

message 6: by Vicky (new)

Vicky Cuevas | 5 comments My name is Vicky and I am a serious tea lover, as I'm sure you all are. I have to admit I'm not super adventurous in the tea department, and stick mostly to black teas with milk, although I have green and oolong teas in my cupboard (my tea collection is pretty big, filling most of a cupboard and two additional shelves). I am looking forward to starting my tea library. The tea books I have are borrowed, and I've had them for years, so I'm sure she'd like to have them back!

I've just joined the group today (Jan. 9th) and see posts back to October. Have you finished Pratt's book and moved on to another? I just ordered the book today. Looking forward to getting to know fellow tea lovers and reading more about tea! Such a great idea Nicole, to start this group! <3

message 7: by David (new)

David | 7 comments Hi - I'm David. I've been in the tea business since 2007 - 30 years in the wine biz before that, though my training is as an academic. I look forward to some great tea reads.

message 8: by Nicole (new)

It's great to see all of the folks who signed up today. Make sure that you spread the word and invite your tea loving friends to join us!

Vicky, Don't worry. I set everything up in October but the first read officially starts today :)

message 9: by Lisa (new)

Lisa | 1 comments Hi there, Has anyone found the book in an ebook format to purchase. I am in Australia and can only find it on Amazon US.
Cheers
Lisa

message 10: by Christina (new)

Christina (Everyday_Teaist) | 1 comments Hi all, I've been learning about tea for a few years, and enjoy hooking others on my addition. Books have inspired some serious re-thinking in other areas of my life, so I'm interested in the group-think that arises from this.

Happy reading,
Christina

message 11: by Hillel (new)

Hillel Bromberg | 9 comments Hello, Hillel Bromberg here. I wear two hats professionally: contract writer and official Tea Dude at Tea Oasis (teaoasisboston.com), which presents tea tasting sessions around Greater Boston. That means that, other than my family, the two most important things in my life are words and tea. I’ve been looking forward to this group since Nicole first floated the idea and I can’t wait to hear from others about their favorite reads and favorite teas. January in New England is a perfect time to settle in with a full cup and a good book so let the perusing begin.

message 12: by Greg (new)

Greg | 1 comments Greg. Mitten5 on /r/tea and Steepster. Avid drinker and reader, but have never scratched the surface of books about tea. Also don't have many in my social circle who either drink tea or read much. Looking forward to some discussion!

message 13: by Georgia (new)

Georgia | 6 comments Hi, All,
Nicole, you are brilliant for starting this book club.
- Georgia | Notes on Tea

message 14: by Madeline (new)

Madeline | 2 comments Hey Everyone! I'm Maddi aka thelastdodo on various tea-centric social media. I am a part-time tea monster at teamonster.blog and a full time tea hoarder. can't wait to talk tea with y'all!

message 15: by Gary (last edited Apr 16, 2018 10:16AM) (new)

Gary (garyrobson) | 1 comments Hello, all.

I'm Gary. I write books (including Myths & Legends of Tea, Volume 1), run a combination bookshop and tea bar, and write a tea blog that I've been sadly neglecting lately. If Robert breaks the rules, I'd like to be the one to smack him around a bit.

message 16: by Nicole (new)

Gary wrote: "If Robert breaks the rules, I'd like to be the one to smack him around a bit. "

I'm sure we wouldn't have it any other way ;)

message 17: by Babette (new)

Babette Donaldson (babette_donaldson) | 2 comments Hello Fellow Tea Sippers,

And thank you, Nichole, for your inspiration to start this group. I'm a writer and speaker with a focus on tea as well as a marketing consultant for small tea businesses. Now I'm putting my energies toward a new project - The International Tea Sippers Society.

I'm looking forward to discussions of tea books that might - hopefully - engage newcomers to tea and help them decide on the best "starter" books. ITSS was created to reach out to newcomers who might be intimidated by the complexity of brewing whole leaf.

I think many of us started with Norwood Pratt's book when it was one of a very few options. And I still recommend it to people who like more engaging narrative and want to combine history along with info about countries of origin.

Would it be of interest to start a new conversation on this question: What tea book do you recommend for someone newly interested in tea?

message 18: by Hillel (new)

Hillel Bromberg | 9 comments Babette wrote: "Hello Fellow Tea Sippers,

And thank you, Nichole, for your inspiration to start this group. I'm a writer and speaker with a focus on tea as well as a marketing consultant for small tea businesses..."

Always start with The Book of Tea by Okakura Kakuzo. It is THE classic that all tea drinkers should have. Tony Gebely’s recently published Tea: A user’s guide is well written, incredibly well researched, and a delight to read. He does a great job clarifying complex subjects like the chemistry of tea and the intricacies of processing from plant to cup. Two that are weightier but also well written by renowned experts are Tea: History, terroirs, varieties by Kevin Gascoyne et al of the Camellia Sinensis Tea House, and The Story of Tea: A cultural history and drinking guide by Mary Lou Heiss and Robert J. Heiss. There are libraries of tea books, of course, but I think these are a good start.

message 19: by Jessica (new)

Jessica Van Humbeeck | 1 comments Hi all, my name is Jess, tea lover and tea sommelier from Belgium. I have my own little shop and I'm just addicted to books and tea. Just ordered the book to read as of 1 March (will only arrive the 7th though - I hope earlier). Besides loving tea, I have 3 kids and a lovely husband and we live in the little city of Aarschot. Looking forward to talk tea with all of you. Greets, Jess

message 20: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (dancinsteph) | 2 comments Hey everybody! I just joined after I got Nicole's quarterly newsletter. I'm excited to be here!! My name is Stephanie, and I live in Florida, where I have a small tea company and sell at local farmers markets and special events. I love all kinds of tea, and I definitely love diving into a good book, so this is right up my alley!! I will be joining you for All the Tea in China. Thanks for having me!!

message 21: by Dennis (new)

Dennis Lund (dennislund) | 1 comments Hello everyone! Great idea to have a reading club for the subject of tea. I am joining from Denmark and like all of you I am very passionate about tea both drinking and reading ;-) I look forward to contribute and participate in the discussions!