Horror Aficionados discussion

Night Conjurings: Tales of Terror
This topic is about Night Conjurings
New Releases > Harvey Click's new collection of horror stories

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Harvey (new)

Harvey Click | 82 comments My new collection of horror stories is now available for pre-order at Amazon at the special introductory price of just 99 cents. There are stories here to chill the marrow in anybody's bones. Night Conjurings Tales of Terror by Harvey Click Night Conjurings: Tales of Terror

For fans of Clive Barker and H. P. Lovecraft… Ghosts, vampires, demons, serial killers, and other deadly denizens of the dark haunt this collection of chilling short stories by horror master Harvey Click.
•An unhappy and unloved boy summons a substitute mother—with sharp teeth.
•Two teenage boys learn it’s better to leave a spooky abandoned house alone.
•Can ghosts kill? Denise is about to find out the hard way.
•When her creative writing teacher offers to teach Kathy how to write a horror story, she finds herself trapped inside one.
•A man discovers he may be a killer, though he can’t remember the murders.
•A man with a terrible past, a wizard from the dark side of the moon, and a pitchfork perform a dark drama of murder and madness.
•A time traveler attempts to bring his dead fiancée back to life.
•Many people wish to be ageless, but what happens when an immortal woman begins to lose her mind?
•An artist literally draws a dead woman out of her grave.
•An elderly woman seeks to recover her forgotten past, but some things are better left forgotten.
•A petty swindler tries to buy good luck but ends up with the sort of luck nobody would want.
•And finally, a brief fable about a box of very sharp silence.

Daniel Barnett | 184 comments Grabbed it. Sounds like a lot of fun stories in here--looking forward to reading.

Glad to see something new from you, Harvey. Hope you had fun writing these.

message 3: by Harvey (new)

Harvey Click | 82 comments Thanks so much, Daniel! I hope you enjoy the stories. I'm not sure I can say they were fun to write. Yes, I got caught up in the flow and felt a good deal of satisfaction once I thought I'd gotten a story just right, but the collection felt like a tremendous amount of work, far more work than writing a single novel. Each story required a different tone, different voice, different characters, different premise, etc. I'm very proud of the stories, though. At the moment I'm prouder of them than I am of any of my novels, but maybe I'll feel different once the reviews come in.

message 4: by Angel (new)

Angel Gelique (angelgelique) | 185 comments I'm not so fond of short stories but after reading The Bad Box, I will definitely give your collection a try, Mr. Click. I'm sure it will have me at the edge of my seat!

message 5: by Harvey (new)

Harvey Click | 82 comments Thanks so much, Angel. And I can't thank you enough for your brilliant review of The Bad Box. It's the best review anybody has ever written for any of my books.

message 6: by Angel (new)

Angel Gelique (angelgelique) | 185 comments Harvey wrote: "Thanks so much, Angel. And I can't thank you enough for your brilliant review of The Bad Box. It's the best review anybody has ever written for any of my books."

Wow, thanks! It was my pleasure, truly. It's a well-deserved review for a book that is honestly the best horror novel I've read in a very long time. I've been recommending it to all of my horror-loving friends.

Daniel Barnett | 184 comments Harvey wrote: "Thanks so much, Daniel! I hope you enjoy the stories. I'm not sure I can say they were fun to write. Yes, I got caught up in the flow and felt a good deal of satisfaction once I thought I'd gotten ..."

Short stories are definitely a lot of work, but they can be really satisfying. I'm still, years later, revisiting and rewriting some old shorts to see if they can be made worthwhile enough to share.

Congrats on another work, man. A full collection of distinct short stories is something to be proud of.

message 8: by Harvey (last edited Oct 08, 2016 02:19PM) (new)

Harvey Click | 82 comments Thanks, Daniel. I feel completely drained now, as if I've used up the horror factory in my brain. I guess I'll have to write billionaire romance novels from now on. :)

A while back I decided I'd had enough of writing horror, so I started sketching out some ideas for a mystery thriller. Unfortunately I dreamed up a plot development so horrid I decided I didn't dare write it--authorities would drag me away to an institution and throw away the key. I don't want to write the novel without this idea, but I don't dare write it with the idea, so I've shelved the novel. And I was just trying to sketch out a nice mild-mannered mystery thriller! You know, something to entertain readers on a beach. I think there must be something deeply wrong with my psyche. Do you, as a fellow horror writer, ever feel that way?

Daniel Barnett | 184 comments Well, billionaire romance novels are pretty horrific in their own way. :)

You've got me curious about this horrid plot development, I have to admit. I'd personally say go for it if the book sounds exciting to you. You could always give it a horror tag just to be safe. It'll be too much for some readers of course, but somebody out there is guaranteed to love it (I'm re reading The Damnation Game right now and finding myself stunned all over again at just how dark of a novel it is--have you read it?)

I've definitely felt that way--scaring or disturbing yourself is part of the job description, I think. There's a scene in Longreave, later on in the book, that I sat back from while writing and said to myself, "Am I really going there?" Most of the horror in the novel is implied, or takes place backstage, but the curtain does rise eventually, and when it does . . . well, things gets a little dark.

Think you'll move onto a longer something next?

message 10: by Harvey (new)

Harvey Click | 82 comments Yes, The Damnation Game is my favorite Barker. It was an inspiration to me when I read it many years ago.

Not sure what I'll do next. I need to take time out from writing to set up a website and a mailing list. Duh.

What are you working on?

message 11: by Justin (new)

Justin (justinbienvenue) | 2788 comments Congrats Harvey! I love the cover! Very eye catching and scary. I'll check this out. I'm currently working on some short stories for a series I'm doing on Channillo.

message 12: by Harvey (new)

Harvey Click | 82 comments Thanks so much, Justin! I really appreciate the support.

message 13: by Daniel (last edited Oct 09, 2016 12:47PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Daniel Barnett | 184 comments Harvey wrote: "Yes, The Damnation Game is my favorite Barker. It was an inspiration to me when I read it many years ago.

Not sure what I'll do next. I need to take time out from writing to set up a website and a..."

I just released a horror adventure novel (infused with a bit of heavy metal) titled Poor Things, and now I'm dipping my toes into a trilogy that I've wanted to write for a while. Might end up leaving it in the burner for a bit longer, and go for something shorter until my workload outside of writing clears up a little.