UK Amazon Kindle Forum discussion

Kindle Tips/Tricks discussions > DANGER! DANGER! BOOK PIRACY

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Larry (last edited Oct 08, 2016 09:18AM) (new)

Larry Moniz (larrymoniz) | 2 comments Kindle Direct Publishing has been hacked and the Ebook version of my book: Longhouse Homicide, ISBN 978-0979700736, is now being offered free for download in various formats. The Kindle Direct Publishing Version through Amazon operations is the only possible source for this piracy by an operation calling itself Check Out My Ink.

To operators of that site I wrote:

“Please be advised you are enabling infringement on my copyright for the book: Longhouse Homicide, ISBN 978-0979700736, by offering it for download. Unless you take steps to remedy this siutation by 5 p.m. today, Oct. 7,2016, you will be subject to a legal action for copyright infringement and book piracy. I also MUST receive written confirmation from you by the specified time and date in order to withhold civil and criminal legal actions against your operation.”

Here are the links to the site and to the form in which I requested my unauthorized listing be immediately removed:

http://www.checkoutmyink.com/topics/2...

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FA...

Adding insult to injury; apparently Amazon Kindle distributed the EBook version free of charge to one of its members based on the lack of any sales being shown in my monthly report. As a result, I’ve UNPUBLISHED all of my fiction works from Amazon Kindle pending satisfactory resolution of this most serious piracy problem. Readers here may also wish to do the same.

LONGHOUSE HOMICIDE by Larry Moniz
The Cosmos by Larry Moniz The Rebellion by Larry Moniz Self-Promotion for Authors by Larry Moniz Where Solutreans Landed by Larry Moniz Chasing the Beringia Land Bridge Myth and Finding Solutrean Boats by Larry Moniz Molly's Revenge by Larry Moniz

message 2: by Chris (new)

Chris Robb (chrisrobb) | 1738 comments I googled my name and a book title to see what websites it came up on, and was staggered to find it being offered for free as a PDF download on:
TzarMedia.com and Funmatrix.net.
Anyone else checked their books and found this problem?

message 3: by Chris (new)

Chris Robb (chrisrobb) | 1738 comments Hi Larry, I checked out checkoutmyink.com and one of my books was being offered free in PDF format.
I sent a dire warning to the website threatening legal action, and completed the DCMA takedown request to Google from your link above. Thanks for that.
To be fair to checkoutmyink.com, it looks like they've suffered spamming attacks. Following the link leads to:
https://en.usenet.nl

message 4: by Anna (last edited Oct 08, 2016 11:47PM) (new)

Anna Faversham (annafaversham) | 1700 comments I may be misunderstanding something here, but as I see it, no one needs to hack into Amazon to steal the Kindle version. They simply buy it, copy it, ask for a refund.

I know authors complain of releasing a new book and finding that several 'buys' are refunded within a day or two. Of course, it's possible unscrupulous readers read a book and then ask for a refund, but Amazon would soon spot someone doing this on a regular basis. These websites that breach copyright change their IPaddresses all the time and so are less easily spotted.

message 5: by Chris (last edited Oct 09, 2016 12:18AM) (new)

Chris Robb (chrisrobb) | 1738 comments That's true, Anna, but it's irrelevant to me how it's happening. The annoying thing is that it is happening, and will continue to do so while people fall for these scams.
Read what it says about Tzarmedia & Funmatrix.net (and many other sites like these) in review sites like Trustpilot and mywot.com. They hook people into membership with promises of free books, music or films, offer a free trial period, and take people's money without authorization during the free period.

A quick Google of Anna Faversham free pdf reveals two websites:

Hide in Time by Anna Faversham EPUB. Download eBooks for Free ...
www.librelib.com/book/594880
Anna Faversham - Hide in Time EPUB, free book download for iOS, Android, Kindle, PC and ... Free download for iOS, Android, eBook Reader and Computer:.

[PDF]The Water Castle By Megan Frazer Blakemore Free Pdf
sandbox.passadvice.me/pdf/the-water-c...
The Water Castle By Megan Frazer Blakemore Free Pdf. The Water Castle Megan ... Read Online Hide in Time by Anna Faversham · Wounded Regrets (Living ...

message 6: by Jud (new)

Jud (judibud) | 18537 comments I don't think there is any way around piracy, even if you create a new prevention technique there will be someone who comes along that breaks that and enables the book to be pirated again.

I'm not saying it is okay and I understand that it must be the most frustrating thing in the world for self published authors but it's a bit of a given when dealing with digital products. By unpublishing all your books you may in fact be doing yourself more harm than good, I doubt this issue will be resolved and I'd even be surprised if Amazon do anything about it at all and even if they do remove it from this site it will only appear on another pirate site.

You could try and look at it in a positive light in that one person may download a pirated version, enjoy it and recommend it to friends who then go and purchase it.

message 7: by Patti (baconater) (last edited Oct 09, 2016 12:57AM) (new)

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments Here is Neil Gaiman's perspective on book piracy, Larry and Chris. Way back in 2011, I believe.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0Qkyt1w...

message 8: by Chris (new)

Chris Robb (chrisrobb) | 1738 comments Thanks ladies. Small crumbs of comfort I'll willingly nibble on. I like the Gaiman video which echoes Jud's last comment.

Michael Cargill Cargill (michaelcargill) | 2998 comments Piracy is one of those things that I don't think is really worth worrying about.

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments I agree, Mikey.

message 11: by Chris (new)

Chris Robb (chrisrobb) | 1738 comments Keelhaul 'em I say!

message 12: by Jud (new)

Jud (judibud) | 18537 comments Chris wrote: "Thanks ladies. Small crumbs of comfort I'll willingly nibble on. I like the Gaiman video which echoes Jud's last comment."

Let's be realistic, I'm echoing him!